I used to go to Alexandria Virginia occasionally and sometimes time my visit to coincide with Bluegrass night at the Tiffany Tavern. Arrive early to make sure you’d gat a good table, have a rubbery burger and wait for the Bluegrass band to start.
I’m now spending more time in Alexandria, but of course the Tiffany Tavern has long since been replaced by a Mexican restaurant which seems to be doing well, but doesn’t have any bluegrass.
Does anyone know of any Bluegrass Hot Spots in the area?
I lived there until last year, and I don't know of any place that regularly presents bluegrass.
I have fond memories of Tiffany Tavern, and its late owner, Ted Karanikolas.
I live in the DC area and I'm fairly sure there are not as many places regularly featuring bluegrass as there were back in the day. In the '80s, I was in a lower-tier band and even we had plenty of places to play.
In looking up places to confirm before posting here, I just now learned that a few days ago we lost a place called Sullivan's Cove near Annapolis that was hosting a weekly Sunday Bluegrass Brunch. So scratch that.
The few I know of:
-Lucketts Bluegrass Foundation has been hosting concerts at Lucketts (Virginia) Community Center since the 1970s! No longer weekly, but still more than once a month. Occasional Saturdays, 7 pm. Calendar and info.
- Hank Dietle's Tavern on Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Ave in Rockville/North Bethesda,Maryland. Ira Gitlin's bluegrass band Big Howdy seems to play there once a month. Their December gig was last week.
- Quarry House Tavern, below street level, Georgia Ave., downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. They've been having a "Free Bluegrass Night" (no cover) first Thursday of the month. Next one is Jan 4, 7:30 pm., featuring Shannon Leigh and the Good Bygones. Shannon Leigh Reynolds
- Ram's Head. Annapolis, Maryland. Far from a hot spot and hardly ever has bluegrass, but Alison Brown will be there January 11.
- Steinhardt Brewing Company. Carroll Creek, downtown Frederick, Maryland. Weekly (!) bluegrass jam, Wednesday nights 7-9 pm. Hosted by Jason and Michelle Hannan, regional performers and recording artists. I hope to make it out there in January. The jam's Facebook page.
- Notaviva Farm, Brewery & Winery. Hillsboro, Virginia. Bluegrass jam 2nd and 4th Fridays, 5-9 pm. Info here. I'd call before going just to be sure. A former briefly bandmate of mine lives out that way and has posted aout it.L
- Outta the Way Cafe. Derwood, Maryland. A former bandmate of mine is now in a bluegrass band named No Part of Nothin' (Keith Arneson on bajo) and they play at this place fairly often. I think they have a bluegrass brunch, but their calendar is empty.
Del McCoury Band will be at the Barns at Wolf Trap Jan 16.
Greensky Bluegrass is coming to the Anthem, relatively newish performance venue on the redeveloped Wharf in DC. Feb 9.
If I remember or find others, I'll add a post.
'1984 Gold Star GF100HF' 31 min
'Europe- 2 piece flange' 53 min
'Europe - Tone ring' 1 hr
'Scruggs-Ruben capo' 1 hr