Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

113
Banjo Lovers Online


Dec 9, 2023 - 7:41:07 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

16073 posts since 5/24/2005

I have come to realize that I am a bit of a B-hole in the kitchen when cooking. I suspect because I rarely cook the same dish twice. (There are exceptions) and that causes anxiety. It should be the journey, not just the destination. Especially at holiday time. The baking turns me into a warrior, out to slay that recipe, wanting to behead the author of said recipe. It’s War! This is not good. I have been cooking most of my life. Staff cook at a camp. Graduate of a local gourmet cooking class. And at home.
What is your kitchen personality? Brad

Dec 9, 2023 - 7:53:19 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

14584 posts since 6/5/2011

KISS / ho-hum / cooking and eating sorta go hand-in-hand, so with "happy wife, happy life" in mind  ....

Maybe there's even some "Well, somebody's gotta do it" mixed in there.   I've been known to talk to the TV from time to time.... One time when a pitcher tossed in a 55-footer with a runner on third I called out, "What the heck ya doin'?"  From the kitchen came my answer: "Well somebody's gotta sweep the floor!"  yes

Edited by - Owen on 12/09/2023 07:53:53

Dec 9, 2023 - 8:18:31 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

29824 posts since 8/3/2003

I run hot and cold on cooking. Having cooked for a family of 5 for many years, I can can cook just about any normal, usual meal and a few gourmet.

If I feel like it, I make bread. I love home made bread and usually use a basic recipe and then add to it.
I could live on soups and stews. Easy, quick, tasty and, if made with the correct ingredients, healthy.
Used to like to make cookies, cakes, pies but since it's just me, it really isn't worth the time and effort.

Right now I'm fixing to go and cook up some sort of soup for lunch and I have a small portion of brisket thawing that I'll put in the oven this afternoon.

Dec 9, 2023 - 1:02:49 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

16073 posts since 5/24/2005

Sherry, we are enjoying soup more and more, every year. Campbells canned tomato is a must with grilled cheese sandwiches. Otherwise , our soups are homemade usually starting with carrot, onion, celery - saute’d then build a soup from there. Easy, can be fast or slow. We sit and have a glass of something, while the soup smell begins to fill the house. Brad

Dec 9, 2023 - 1:47:38 PM
likes this

61677 posts since 12/14/2005

I can cook enough to feed myself.
AND others, if they're not too fussy.
But, mostly, the cooking around HERE is done by Mary.
And she's a wizardess at it.
Tries to feed me low carb stuff, because of my diabetes.
Will invent or modify, whenever she guesses it might work better HER way, than the recipe's way.

And the deal is this:
If I don't like it, I'll tell her forthwith, and she'll never feed me that, again.

Lost 23 pound since I met her, so, ever onward!

Dec 9, 2023 - 1:53:08 PM
likes this

61677 posts since 12/14/2005

My dear old mother did something for which I still haven't entirely forgiven her.
Everybody in the family, tall enough to reach the stove, knew how to make PANCAKES.
But, one night, when she and Dad were going to be away, she left me a recipe for Crabmeat Souffle.

I had never HEARD of it before, and had NO IDEA that souffle is one of the most difficult dishes for a beginner to get right.

And of course, none of my many, many siblings had EVER had crabmeat ANYTHING before.
So none of them wanted to eat what I had spent so much time and effort cooking.

I was unhappy THEN, and still annoyed that she would DO such a thing, even after half a century of chances to laugh it off as just another of her little flights of INSANITY!!

Dec 9, 2023 - 1:55:03 PM
like this

891 posts since 2/11/2019

We always say we need a bigger kitchen because mine tends to be "stay out of my way".

And sort of related but maybe off topic one of my peeves is finding a recipe and having to scroll through the author's life story and the history of the ingredients to get to what I really need. Does anyone really care???

Dec 9, 2023 - 2:12:14 PM
like this

40499 posts since 3/5/2008

DON'T GIT IN ME WAY.... :0[

Dec 9, 2023 - 2:14:45 PM
likes this

4736 posts since 4/29/2012

I do the cooking and my wife decided we'd go veggie at home a couple or so years ago. Winter is easy. Lots of veggie stews. They start with a chopped onion in copious olive oil. Add some pimenton (dulce and picante - go careful with the picante), thyme and tarragon, bay leaf, about a head of grated garlic (2minutes in boiling water and the skin comes off easily). If nobody is looking I add a tin of anchovies. Cook through, add a tablespoon of tomato puree and a generous glass of red wine. Reduce and throw in whatever vegetables are mouldering in the veg drawer of the fridge - roughly chopped or sliced on a mandoline as appropriate.. Usually carrots, celery, potatoes, maybe a turnip. Chard is good. Not my favourite but it can survive a stew. Add a can of chopped tomatoes. Throw in a handful of pearl barley. Top up with stock made from Marigold veg bouillon. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add a can of butter beans or chickpeas. Heat through for 5 mins. Serve with crusty wholemeal bread.

Edited by - AndrewD on 12/09/2023 14:15:07

Dec 9, 2023 - 4:06:07 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

16073 posts since 5/24/2005

Andrew, about anchovies. Curious thing…grow up in the 59s and 60s anchovies were a big deal on pizza in the USA-Midwest. Maybe if the joint had salads, a few on that. Then later , it’s like anchovies became extinct. I like dried or tinned fish, but anchovies are off the radar.
So, tell me more! Brad

Dec 9, 2023 - 5:09:09 PM
like this

30 posts since 10/30/2023

Winter is "pottage" time for me. I start with making a huge pot of beef stew. The leftovers go in an enameled pot in the fridge. Every meal after that, leftover meat and veggies gets added. The flavors are always changing and if I don't feel like cooking, there's always pottage in the fridge.

A friend gave me three huge venison steaks; tomorrow I'm having one with broccoli. Leftovers added to the pot. With cast iron skillet cornbread. Yum!

Dec 9, 2023 - 6:20:26 PM
like this

1094 posts since 10/4/2018

I am a regular Julia Child in the kitchen. If I have an audience, I am always explaining what I'm doing and why I'm doing it, in hopes that that person might learn something or teach me something new. Sometimes I wish I could speak in a falsetto voice for more than a few seconds. Bon Apetit!

Dec 9, 2023 - 7:09:22 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

17029 posts since 9/27/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Hornet

We always say we need a bigger kitchen because mine tends to be "stay out of my way".

And sort of related but maybe off topic one of my peeves is finding a recipe and having to scroll through the author's life story and the history of the ingredients to get to what I really need. Does anyone really care???


I'm with you on the long winded story! You'll see the same exact recipe by another writer with an all new tilt on it!

I've seen where people followed the same mistake that was in first copy.

I don't do any baking so I use recipes as a guideline. It mostly works out!

Dec 10, 2023 - 12:33:40 AM
likes this

4736 posts since 4/29/2012

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

Andrew, about anchovies. Curious thing…grow up in the 59s and 60s anchovies were a big deal on pizza in the USA-Midwest. Maybe if the joint had salads, a few on that. Then later , it’s like anchovies became extinct. I like dried or tinned fish, but anchovies are off the radar.
So, tell me more! Brad


Far from extinct here. Lots of expensive marinaded anchovies. I often put the cheaper canned or bottled in oil salted ones in stews and sauces. Adds umami and the fishy flavour cooks out. And a frequent quick lunch is a can of them on toast. 

Dec 10, 2023 - 6:22:53 AM
like this

891 posts since 2/11/2019

quote:
Originally posted by bubbalouie
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Hornet

We always say we need a bigger kitchen because mine tends to be "stay out of my way".

And sort of related but maybe off topic one of my peeves is finding a recipe and having to scroll through the author's life story and the history of the ingredients to get to what I really need. Does anyone really care???


I'm with you on the long winded story! You'll see the same exact recipe by another writer with an all new tilt on it!

I've seen where people followed the same mistake that was in first copy.

I don't do any baking so I use recipes as a guideline. It mostly works out!


You are more patient than I.  I never read far enough in to find stuff like that out.  Just gimme the dang recipe!

Regarding anchovies.  A trick I learned as an always hungry and growing teenager was that if I got anchovies on pizza or "my half", nobody else would eat my pizza!  There are still shops around here that serve pizza with anchovies I still order them from time to time.

Dec 10, 2023 - 7:14:34 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

16073 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by SirenSong

Winter is "pottage" time for me. I start with making a huge pot of beef stew. The leftovers go in an enameled pot in the fridge. Every meal after that, leftover meat and veggies gets added. The flavors are always changing and if I don't feel like cooking, there's always pottage in the fridge.

A friend gave me three huge venison steaks; tomorrow I'm having one with broccoli. Leftovers added to the pot. With cast iron skillet cornbread. Yum!


We share that way of leftovering.   The venison particularly great.

Dec 10, 2023 - 11:24:13 AM
like this

26 posts since 10/2/2019

This is an interesting topic, and a cool idea for discussion. I cook professionally so I guess my kitchen personality is Chef. Some of it carries over to home, mostly being neat and organized. Cooking is such a part of my life that I rarely stop and actually think about the nature of it

Dec 10, 2023 - 11:25:38 AM
like this

slammer

USA

4463 posts since 12/30/2008

What’s my Cook personality???
Well, I’d consider myself an anal retentive home taught cook with attention to detail, technique, and authenticity!!! I can’t stand anyone else in the kitchen while I’m orchestrating and I’m a clean as I go cook with no big mess when I’m done.
I don’t bake as I don’t have the patience for it and doesn’t interest me, although I would like to make a killer bread when I retire.
I love many different ethnic foods and tend to go ALL IN when making them with much research and the best ingredients I can find. I almost Never follow a recipe but gather what I consider the best attributes from many recipes.
Cooking is a big part of my life and my entertainment!!! My downfalls are: I don’t always follow the “less is more” methods, I cringe when watching other people cook, and I eat too much of my own cooking!!!
Slammer!!!

Dec 10, 2023 - 4:34:24 PM
like this

1247 posts since 3/7/2006

I can cook anything. I learned early from my mom, then she went on nightshift when I was entering High School. So I had to fend for myself. A stint or two part time cooking in fast food fish restaurants helped some. I've cooked several complete with desserts Thanksgiving meals (smoked turkey too), and they haven't died, but seem to keep coming back. I collect recipes and have thousands from around the world, but I hardly ever follow one. So there ya go. Credit to my mom.

Dec 11, 2023 - 10:55:17 AM

15929 posts since 12/2/2005

Mine is no-nonsense and oriented towards safety. I become intensely focused upon what I'm doing and woe be upon anyone or anything - on two legs or four - that invades my workspace without clearly announcing their intentions and waiting for acknowledgment.

You don't need to work in a commercial kitchen for long before that attitude becomes second nature.

Edited by - eagleisland on 12/11/2023 10:55:37

Dec 11, 2023 - 1:26:26 PM

40499 posts since 3/5/2008

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland

Mine is no-nonsense and oriented towards safety. I become intensely focused upon what I'm doing and woe be upon anyone or anything - on two legs or four - that invades my workspace without clearly announcing their intentions and waiting for acknowledgment.

You don't need to work in a commercial kitchen for long before that attitude becomes second nature.


Liz liked cookin with ya... ;0)

Dec 12, 2023 - 4:57:19 AM
likes this

15929 posts since 12/2/2005

quote:
Originally posted by STUD figmo Al
quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland

Mine is no-nonsense and oriented towards safety. I become intensely focused upon what I'm doing and woe be upon anyone or anything - on two legs or four - that invades my workspace without clearly announcing their intentions and waiting for acknowledgment.

You don't need to work in a commercial kitchen for long before that attitude becomes second nature.


Liz liked cookin with ya... ;0)


And I enjoyed cooking with Liz!

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3439941