Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

113
Banjo Lovers Online


Dec 5, 2023 - 9:21:26 AM
likes this
15 posts since 12/5/2023

Hello, I have just come in possession of a great condition vox. It seems it may be from the early 30s based on its serial number. I think it still has the original calf skin head and there is only a tiny amount of wear on the Frets themselves, none on the fretboard that I can see. I feel super stoked to have found one in such great condition! Am I right in my estimation of its production date?


Edited by - dandjune on 12/05/2023 09:23:48

Dec 5, 2023 - 9:59:54 AM

banjopaolo

Italy

1859 posts since 11/6/2008

Seems a Vegavox l from the headstock in your avatar: great banjos!
According to this site should be 1929

https://www.4stringbanjos.com/vega-serial-numbers

can you post more pictures?

Dec 6, 2023 - 12:11:55 PM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Thanks for the info banjopaolo I also followed up on suggestions to find a quality bridge, but it seems Bart Veerman is out of business, sadly! I wonder if there is a good suggestion on that front. To get going i just ordered a Grover three foot. I will be playing mostly punchy rhythm Jango style or Western swing big band Jazz etc. Not a lot of finger picking or leads….

Dec 6, 2023 - 12:17:03 PM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Let me know if there is a particular photo I should take. Thanks again! 1929! 

Edited by - dandjune on 12/06/2023 12:17:34

Dec 8, 2023 - 7:40:55 AM
likes this

banjopaolo

Italy

1859 posts since 11/6/2008

I suggest you to look for Scorpion Bridges…

https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/silvio-ferretti-4-banjo-bridge

Edited by - banjopaolo on 12/08/2023 07:43:16

Dec 8, 2023 - 7:48:33 AM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Thanks! I made another post as well about adjusting the action. I was wondering if the adjustable metal plate on the rod where the neck meets the rim somehow influences the angle of the neck?


Dec 8, 2023 - 7:53:54 AM
likes this

561 posts since 11/6/2007

No, that's not a good way to adjust the neck angle.
I suggest you speak to Vinnie Mondello, an excellent banjo luthier.
4stringbanjos.com/about-us

All the best,
Andrew Roblin

Dec 8, 2023 - 9:59:27 AM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Thank you!

Dec 8, 2023 - 3:38:06 PM
like this

2014 posts since 1/13/2012

quote:
Originally posted by dandjune

Thanks! I made another post as well about adjusting the action. I was wondering if the adjustable metal plate on the rod where the neck meets the rim somehow influences the angle of the neck?


The only correct way to adjust neck angle is to remove the stick from the neck heel, plug the hole, re-drill it at the desired angle, and glue the stick back in. It is not an easy job without specialized tools. 

Dec 8, 2023 - 4:58:19 PM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

quote:
Originally posted by Andy FitzGibbon
quote:
Originally posted by dandjune

Thanks! I made another post as well about adjusting the action. I was wondering if the adjustable metal plate on the rod where the neck meets the rim somehow influences the angle of the neck?


The only correct way to adjust neck angle is to remove the stick from the neck heel, plug the hole, re-drill it at the desired angle, and glue the stick back in. It is not an easy job without specialized tools. 


Wow. That sounds like it would take some very accurate precision.

Dec 17, 2023 - 7:49:05 PM
likes this

NYCJazz

USA

3846 posts since 4/17/2008

What height bridge are you trying to use?
Most banjos back then were set up to use 1/2" bridges.
You can get bridges by Jim Farquhar in 1/32" increments from Bernunzio.

bernunzio.com/product/farquhar...ge-15597/

Dec 17, 2023 - 9:37:21 PM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Thanks for responding! It had a 5/8” bridge, which was too tall. I replaced it with a 1/2” and it made all the difference. I’ll look into the link you shared. Now that I know the 1/2” bridge is just right, I’d like to find one to match the quality of the banjo!

Dec 19, 2023 - 1:34:12 PM
likes this

NYCJazz

USA

3846 posts since 4/17/2008

quote:
Originally posted by dandjune

Thanks for responding! It had a 5/8” bridge, which was too tall. I replaced it with a 1/2” and it made all the difference. I’ll look into the link you shared. Now that I know the 1/2” bridge is just right, I’d like to find one to match the quality of the banjo!


I'm so glad that helped!
Because you don't need the incremental sizes of bridge, it opens up your choices.
My teacher, Cynthia Sayer, tested all the bridges she could get her hands on a few years back. The winner was the Snuffy Smith. I bought one for my Silver Bell plectrum. They are available in 1/2" 4-string. That would be my #1 recomendation.

Dec 19, 2023 - 4:44:39 PM
likes this

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Thanks for the info! I was about to order a Jim Farquhar bridge because they look so snazzy and well crafted… maybe I’ll get one of each and do a comparison.

bernunzio.com/product/farquhar...ge-15597/

Dec 24, 2023 - 8:58:21 AM

15 posts since 12/5/2023

Baconfine I got your message about the model being potentially a 1931, but didn’t understand it being “one of the early with treath in the shoes”?

Dec 24, 2023 - 9:22:59 AM

Baconfine

Germany

423 posts since 8/4/2006

most have changed to other kind of brackets - so yours should be original

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3603516