Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Dec 17, 2023 - 5:50:24 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

DTolar

USA

3 posts since 11/16/2023

Hello folks,
My first post. I have been prowling around for a week or two figuring out how this forum works.
I was unexpectedly loaned or maybe given, a twenties Vegaphone plectrum instrument. It seems in good shape and I am here to learn. I know next to nothing about the banjo. Much less the plectrum. But I have played Ukulele for a while, so somewhat used to four strings. And I know Rob from following his most interesting YouTube.
I thank you in advance for the welcome to this forum.

Dec 17, 2023 - 5:56:12 PM
likes this

SteveZ

USA

58 posts since 4/23/2014

Been gone for a few years - many life changes and a couple moves - and have missed the comments, advice and general good stuff.

Dec 17, 2023 - 8:04:34 PM
likes this

NYCJazz

USA

3850 posts since 4/17/2008

quote:
Originally posted by qyzdyP-dipxu1-puddyd

Hello folks,
I was unexpectedly loaned or maybe given, a twenties Vegaphone plectrum instrument. It seems in good shape and I am here to learn.

Congrats on getting a really rare, top-quality instrument!
If you know uke, you're in a really good place.
Plectrum is very close in scale to a guitar.
String it up w guitar strings, or just keep the plectrum strings... they're pretty close. Tune it like a guitar (minus the two bass strings, of course) and you have something that you can use those uke chord forms on. It's a different key, but it's a great start.
Lots of plectrum players back in the 20's & 30's used guitar tuning (commonly called "Chicago Tuning" in the jazz banjo world) and one banjo brand (Trujo) taught students primarily guitar tuning.

Post some photos of your Vega!

Dec 18, 2023 - 10:54:22 AM

87 posts since 11/21/2021

Might be my imagination, but it looks like posts have picked up generally following this discussion. But, do any of you frequent the companion site Mando Hangout, which seems to be very light on posts and conversations?

Dec 19, 2023 - 5:13:33 AM
likes this

5199 posts since 4/7/2008

I am in the middle of flurry of Christmas gigs, but I’ll be more diligent about posting after January 1st.

Jan 26, 2024 - 8:27:09 AM

28 posts since 8/9/2023

quote:Originally posted by NotABanjoYodaMaybe its time to move the hangout to VR....

What is VR?

Jan 26, 2024 - 9:01:35 AM
Players Union Member

DTolar

USA

3 posts since 11/16/2023

quote:Originally posted by NYCJazz quote:Originally posted by qyzdyP-dipxu1-puddydHello folks,
I was unexpectedly loaned or maybe given, a twenties Vegaphone plectrum instrument. It seems in good shape and I am here to learn.Congrats on getting a really rare, top-quality instrument!
If you know uke, you're in a really good place.
Plectrum is very close in scale to a guitar.
String it up w guitar strings, or just keep the plectrum strings... they're pretty close. Tune it like a guitar (minus the two bass strings, of course) and you have something that you can use those uke chord forms on. It's a different key, but it's a great start.
Lots of plectrum players back in the 20's & 30's used guitar tuning (commonly called "Chicago Tuning" in the jazz banjo world) and one banjo brand (Trujo) taught students primarily guitar tuning.

Post some photos of your Vega!

Jan 26, 2024 - 9:06:22 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

DTolar

USA

3 posts since 11/16/2023

NYCJazz,
Sorry for my slow response. had no idea it about it. Ha! Took me a week or so to figure out what it was, because I had never heard of a plectrum. Now I am all interested in banjos. Thanks! I will post a photo as soon as I figure out how! Just learning how this hangout works.

Feb 17, 2024 - 8:38:29 AM
like this

211 posts since 11/8/2014

Great to see Rob Mackillop here.
Yesterday I bought a Paramount Tenor C. Not sure why. I have started and quit tenor banjo twice before.
Had a Bacon and Day when I joined a banjo group. After one gig the leader attacked me in front of the group. He went on and on. Later he apologized. He could not understand why he did it. I traded my banjo for a fiddle. I love the fiddle and the cello.
More recently I bought an Eagle II tenor after seeing a Rob Mackillop demo of one. I don't sound like that. Rob is a master of everything with strings.
My brain resists learning chords. I think I know why and will be starting over with the easiest chords.
Talley Ho! I am off to find a pick.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories