Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Nov 8, 2023 - 11:12:17 PM
likes this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

3296 posts since 9/2/2008

I think you might be right, Lew. I initially raised the question solely thinking of the jazz tenor group here, but I’m now seeing the decline in contributors being a cross-platform thing. That’s a pity, but reflects the dominance of social media in the lives of a younger generation.

Nov 9, 2023 - 5:39:21 PM
like this

5199 posts since 4/7/2008

I think the main reason for the decline in the number of posts in the 4-string section of the BHO in the death of Eddy Davis. Eddy was a virtuoso. That’s a fact. Anyone who watches Wild Man Blues or that DVD he did with Conal Fowkes will attest to that. It was a big deal to have a big time pro of his stature posting here, and boy did he post. He wrote in-depth thoughtful posts, and he wrote lots of them. I went to NYC to visit him on occasion, and the conversations always turned to the BHO. He would want to talk about some of the recent posts, especially the ones that included a video or a recording, and he would want my opinions on them. Eddy loved the BHO, and I for one loved that he loved it. Without his contributions, the 4-string section of BHO is smaller and quieter than it was when he was around. I will always miss my friend Eddy, and I’m going to make an effort to post more. I think he would want this forum to flourish

Nov 10, 2023 - 12:06:53 AM
likes this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

Lovely post, Tony. I for one hope you stick around.

Nov 18, 2023 - 1:43:22 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

Lew H

USA

2949 posts since 3/10/2008

Rob MacKillop My apologies! I commented but then forgot to subscribe to this column. I can comment most specifically on the clawhammer groups on Facebook. "Clawjammer Rules" is a very busy place with people asking question, posting tune videos, etc. "Progressive clawhammer" is less busy but has a more limited focus. Other groups that I have not joined deal with bluegrass, buying selling banjos, etc. I'm sure there are 4-string banjo groups somewhere in there too.

Only occasionally do I see anyone on FB referring others to BHO for help in playing or other issues. This is sad, for there is a remarkable batch of tabs on BHO. I think the most common request on FB is for tabs, and I try to get folks to look here whenever I can.

But there is more competition! Another competitor for BHO is YouTube. There is a huge number of instructional banjo videos and performance videos there as well. (Of course many of us post videos on YT so we can link them for posting here). I have a YT channel where I post videos for linking to BHO. I find I get more views and likes there than on BHO. The same holds true for my FB banjo posts.

Nov 18, 2023 - 1:55:20 PM

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

@Lew Hendrix - good post. I'm on Facebook, but not a great fan of it, but I'll take another look for different banjo groups. Cheers, Rob.

Nov 18, 2023 - 5:43:55 PM
like this

254 posts since 9/6/2016

Like Rob, I go off to explore my other instruments (guitar, mandolin). Like Tony, I noticed a downturn in posts since Eddy’s passing and I miss him too. He was very encouraging and complimentary about my playing and I learned a lot from him.

I need to contribute more. In fact I hope to have a report tomorrow on sitting in at a New York jazz jam. I checked out the scene at Smalls the last couple of weekends. I took my mandolin but didn’t play; it’s a nice sound, and I can hear how to fit in. But it just doesn’t have the volume for that setting. I figured I would take my tenor tomorrow.

I’ll let you know what happens. It’s going to be interesting.

Nov 18, 2023 - 11:44:33 PM
likes this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

Be brave, Rudy! And report back…

Nov 20, 2023 - 6:16:56 PM
likes this

254 posts since 9/6/2016

Sound advice, Rob, and I was attempting to take it; but something came up suddenly and I had to miss yesterday's jam session. I'll go for it next week.

Nov 22, 2023 - 6:24:25 PM
like this

NYCJazz

USA

3850 posts since 4/17/2008

Hi Rob
I've been away... I've been in the woodshed!

I recently got a new (to me) Gibson plectrum and I've never owned a Gibson before.
I figured this would be motherlode of Mastertone info!

Hi Tony... I'm glad to see you're here... Eddy was a wonderful source of inspiration here at BHO. I miss him terribly. I was in NYC about 2 years ago and ran into Ruthie at a gig. She's amazing... she just ran the NYC marathon a few weeks ago.

Nov 22, 2023 - 11:48:06 PM
likes this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

Good to see you back, Nathan! You know what they say about getting a new instrument: it’s not true until you show us some pics!

Nov 23, 2023 - 3:31:45 AM
like this

5199 posts since 4/7/2008

quote:
Originally posted by NYCJazz

Hi Rob
I've been away... I've been in the woodshed!

I recently got a new (to me) Gibson plectrum and I've never owned a Gibson before.
I figured this would be motherlode of Mastertone info!

Hi Tony... I'm glad to see you're here... Eddy was a wonderful source of inspiration here at BHO. I miss him terribly. I was in NYC about 2 years ago and ran into Ruthie at a gig. She's amazing... she just ran the NYC marathon a few weeks ago.

'So glad you're back Nathan.  'Feels a bit more like home now.

Dec 5, 2023 - 4:31:57 PM
like this

NYCJazz

USA

Here's my Gibson Earl Scruggs Standard plectrum!
Betcha never saw one of these before!
If took me some time to remember how to use this interface!
quote:
Originally posted by Rob MacKillop

Good to see you back, Nathan! You know what they say about getting a new instrument: it’s not true until you show us some pics!

Dec 5, 2023 - 5:25:19 PM
likes this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

Wow! Looks AMAZING! Probably sounds as good as it looks too!

Dec 5, 2023 - 5:27:09 PM
like this

254 posts since 9/6/2016

Oh, that Gibson looks great! I bet it sounds amazing. Congratulations on getting it!

By the way, I did join in the Smalls Saturday afternoon jam session, but on mandolin. Surprisingly, given that I wasn’t plugged in, people could hear me at the back of the room on my solo break. Obviously I was drowned out in the ensemble given there were three saxophones, piano, bass, drums, and guitar.

History repeats inasmuch as many of the tenor players of a century ago moved from mandolin to banjo; I will see what I can contribute on tenor soon.

Dec 6, 2023 - 8:36:20 PM
likes this

NYCJazz

USA

quote:

Wow! Looks AMAZING! Probably sounds as good as it looks too!

Yeah it likely came out of the Gibson Nashville Custom Shop ('cause it's a plectrum!) so they pulled out all the stops. It's LOUD and heavy. It doesn't have the delicate nuanced sound that my '24 #3 Silver Bell has, but it is, as the Bluegrass guys say... It's a cannon! The finish is thick and glassy. Amazing that there are no marks on the resonator. It was played a lot, judging by the fret wear and the neck wear, but it was babied otherwise!
I've never had a banjo that was younger than me before!
Here's a shot of the pristine resonator:

https://www.banjohangout.org/photo/301044

Edited by - NYCJazz on 12/06/2023 20:37:05

Dec 6, 2023 - 10:54:05 PM
like this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

Somebody took great care of it, as I’m sure you will too. It could last many generations. With these great instruments, you get the feeling you are not so much the owner as the current custodian.

Dec 8, 2023 - 4:25:16 AM
likes this

624 posts since 7/13/2008

quote:

I think you might be right, Lew. I initially raised the question solely thinking of the jazz tenor group here, but I’m now seeing the decline in contributors being a cross-platform thing. That’s a pity, but reflects the dominance of social media in the lives of a younger generation.

I'm thinking that it's more than just a cross platform thing.  A lot of my old stomping ground sites, like woodworking sites are down on activity.  Don't know what people are doing with their time, but what was once attractive and informative seems less so over time.

Dec 8, 2023 - 8:09:16 AM
likes this

15 posts since 12/5/2023

I’m new, having been doing a lot of research in order to find a quality tenor. My web searches consistently drive me to bho due to its extensive knowledge base. It’s more relevant than any other platform I’ve found by far. The site itself is clunky and somewhat difficult to navigate, as far as the search is concerned, but still worth perusing for info.
I made a couple of posts myself, and was rewarded with a reply by one knowledgeable person, but not sure if I can expect a response beyond what I’ve gotten.
Overall, I’m glad to have found a wealth of information related to my research. I practically never join anything online but was surprised by consistent answers to one question after another on the same platform.
Thanks to those who dedicate their time and energy to keeping up with the maintenance of the site.
Now I am trying to figure out how best to adjust the action on my 1929 Vegavox!

Edited by - dandjune on 12/08/2023 08:10:30

Dec 14, 2023 - 8:59:29 AM
likes this

Happy2B

USA

6 posts since 5/4/2023

I'm kind of nervous about posting as it might not be "cool" :-) Today I bought a left-handed Clareen "Clarinbridge" tenor from Fintan. He was great to talk with and answered all of my questions, whilst in the crush of trying to get all the Xmas orders out the door.
I have flirted with playing banjo over the last 20 years, never really making the full on time investment. Clawhammer, two finger, Scruggs style, all of it challenged me and to be honest, I was lazy. Not to mention finding lefty banjos is a bit of journey in itself.
But I'm now retired and as I've always loved ITM, I've decided to make a firm commitment to the learning. I'm going to take online lessons from Enda Scahill and we'll see what happens. At the tender age of 72, all I hope for is a wee smile on me face when I've attended my first slow session.

Dec 15, 2023 - 8:43:19 AM
likes this

254 posts since 9/6/2016

Here’s an improvisation from last night (Deering Goodtime 2, 19 fret, CGDA):

youtu.be/ruLO8_oS7E8?feature=shared

Dec 15, 2023 - 9:03:24 AM
likes this

Rob MacKillop

Scotland

Well done, Rudy. Good rhythm throughout, chord movement too.

Dec 15, 2023 - 11:06:55 AM
likes this

254 posts since 9/6/2016

Thanks, Rob. That’s pretty typical of the kind of thing I did on my old coffeehouse gig, though (as you can see from some of my other clips) I got a lot more abstract at times.

Dec 15, 2023 - 1:16:30 PM
likes this

craig wood

Canada

153 posts since 9/11/2018

Rudy ..Waiting for the tenor version of "Runnin' A Riff "
Just to say your media is most enjoyable.

Dec 15, 2023 - 9:22:11 PM

254 posts since 9/6/2016

Thanks, Craig! Like the one above, “Runnin’ A Riff” was made up as I went along; I’m not sure I can reproduce it! But if I listen to it awhile, I could probably get close.

Actually, it’s a bit strange: It’s the easiest thing in the world for me to improvise a tune. What I find difficult is memorizing the Real Book jazz standards and its equivalents in other styles (i.e., bar band blues, classic rock, bluegrass, etc.). But this calls for a new thread ??

Dec 16, 2023 - 3:07:24 PM
like this

525 posts since 10/8/2018
Online Now

Rudy, you are so right.

I love just making it up as I go along.

Especially after I have enjoyed a Louis Armstrong cigarette…

Page:  First Page   1  2  3   Last Page (3) 

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories