Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

175
Banjo Lovers Online


Dec 9, 2022 - 6:57:45 PM
55 posts since 8/23/2022

I am looking for a recommendation for a source for a 11 inch (preferably maple) banjo rim for an open back banjo build. I would like a low ply count rim and I do not want anything that is pre-drilled or pre set-up for a tone ring. And if possible I would like to keep the price about $100. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. -Scott

Dec 10, 2022 - 1:27:35 AM

39528 posts since 2/28/2006

Dec 10, 2022 - 4:03:23 AM
likes this

15095 posts since 6/29/2005

Sounds like you want a laminated blank with nothing done to it

What dimensions are you interested in?  I am away until Sunday PM but have 3-ply blanks in the shop—I'll look.

Dec 10, 2022 - 12:31:57 PM

55 posts since 8/23/2022

Hi Ken,

My finished dimensions will be 11.00" OD X 2 9/16 depth and a wall thickness of 5/8". I have a large lathe and I can finish to the final dimensions.

Thanks,
Scott

Dec 10, 2022 - 8:19:21 PM

55 posts since 8/23/2022

quote:
Originally posted by TheLastWord

Rickard sales this: rickardbanjos.com/products/2-p...906696886

Thanks for the link. It looks good, but they are in Canada and it would probably take a while to get here because of holiday delays in customs and also the cost of shipping from Canada would be a factor. 


Dec 10, 2022 - 10:30:37 PM

55 posts since 8/23/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Ken LeVan

Sounds like you want a laminated blank with nothing done to it

What dimensions are you interested in?  I am away until Sunday PM but have 3-ply blanks in the shop—I'll look.


The 11" OD or oversize so it can be turned down is the most critical dimension. The 2 9/16 depth and the 5/8 wall thickness, I am willing to change those dimensions to work with what you have available. As mentioned above I do have a lathe and can machine down if necessary. Also if it helps, something besides maple could work. Thanks -Scott

Dec 11, 2022 - 1:16:47 PM

15095 posts since 6/29/2005

quote:
Originally posted by campandstrum
quote:
Originally posted by Ken LeVan

Sounds like you want a laminated blank with nothing done to it

What dimensions are you interested in?  I am away until Sunday PM but have 3-ply blanks in the shop—I'll look.


The 11" OD or oversize so it can be turned down is the most critical dimension. The 2 9/16 depth and the 5/8 wall thickness, I am willing to change those dimensions to work with what you have available. As mentioned above I do have a lathe and can machine down if necessary. Also if it helps, something besides maple could work. Thanks -Scott


I just got back and checked. I don't have anything nearly 2  9/16" high—I put tone rings on my pots to come around 3"pot depth, but the rims themselves are more like 2 1/4". Plus, I have nothing that exceeds 11", they are all a little less, designed to be turned for bracket bands and the tone ring skirt with an inset bump-out between them.  Unfortunately nothing I have on hand is going to work for you—sorry.  The depth is the biggest problem.

Edited by - Ken LeVan on 12/11/2022 13:17:37

Dec 11, 2022 - 4:20:44 PM

55 posts since 8/23/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Ken LeVan
quote:
Originally posted by campandstrum
quote:
Originally posted by Ken LeVan

Sounds like you want a laminated blank with nothing done to it

What dimensions are you interested in?  I am away until Sunday PM but have 3-ply blanks in the shop—I'll look.


The 11" OD or oversize so it can be turned down is the most critical dimension. The 2 9/16 depth and the 5/8 wall thickness, I am willing to change those dimensions to work with what you have available. As mentioned above I do have a lathe and can machine down if necessary. Also if it helps, something besides maple could work. Thanks -Scott


I just got back and checked. I don't have anything nearly 2  9/16" high—I put tone rings on my pots to come around 3"pot depth, but the rims themselves are more like 2 1/4". Plus, I have nothing that exceeds 11", they are all a little less, designed to be turned for bracket bands and the tone ring skirt with an inset bump-out between them.  Unfortunately nothing I have on hand is going to work for you—sorry.  The depth is the biggest problem.


Thank you for checking. -Scott

Dec 12, 2022 - 3:18:52 PM

237 posts since 5/27/2008

Check with Sullivan banjo or Cooperman

Dec 13, 2022 - 7:40:17 AM

1020 posts since 3/23/2006

You might want to email Rickard to check on delivery. By far their biggest market is the US. I have always received orders quickly and without customs problems.

Dec 13, 2022 - 7:53:52 AM

13883 posts since 6/2/2008

Eric Sullivan can probably sell this to you in any degree of completion.

Stew-Mac raw banjo rim.

Cooperman provides no way to order banjo rims online. THey don't even tell you what they cost. You need to contact them directly.

Dec 13, 2022 - 9:40:56 AM
likes this

55 posts since 8/23/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Old Hickory

Eric Sullivan can probably sell this to you in any degree of completion.

Stew-Mac raw banjo rim.

Cooperman provides no way to order banjo rims online. THey don't even tell you what they cost. You need to contact them directly.

Just ordered a rim from Eric Sullivan. He was a great guy to talk to and has lots of rims ready to ship.


Dec 13, 2022 - 10:52:44 AM
likes this

1717 posts since 10/12/2011

I've always been a Cooperman fan, plus their made here in VT. They have single, double, and tripple ply.

cooperman.com/banjo-rims/

Dec 13, 2022 - 12:50:18 PM
likes this

13883 posts since 6/2/2008

quote:
Originally posted by buckholler

I've always been a Cooperman fan, plus their made here in VT. They have single, double, and tripple ply.


I have one known Cooperman rim in a parts banjo with an RK no-hole tone ring. My Hangout friend Dick Guggenheim picked it up for me at the Cooperman factory around 2013. It sat aging in unconditioned space for another year or two before it ended up in a banjo. Sounds great.

Gibson was definitely using Cooperman rims at least for a while in the final 20 or so years of production. And I believe Stelling's briefly used 3-ply rims were Cooperman.

Definitely good rims. And competitively priced. Only issue, as I said above, is you can't order off their web site. You need to call or write.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.21875