Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

228
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Dec 8, 2022 - 7:22:54 AM
likes this
3016 posts since 8/30/2014

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) informing me that they had issued a tax refund payment of $6366.00 (CAD) to my credit/debit card.
It went on to say I could submit an application to claim said funds by clicking the green "Claim it Now" button .

Don't touch the green button!
If it's not a letter, it's not from CRA

Sorry! My computer conked out before I had time to finish. I spoke to a CRA agent this morning and he advised me they do not send notices by e-mail.

Edited by - grandpafive on 12/08/2022 07:39:16

Dec 8, 2022 - 7:45:54 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

12324 posts since 6/5/2011

Thanks for the reminder Bob.   

So far my wife and I are still able to distinguish, and hope it continues for a good long while, but I gotta feel for those afflicted with various forms/degrees of dementia.  [Some time back we got a "CRA" phone call, but no e-mail .... yet.]

... and in any event, who do they think will be impressed with $6400 nowadays?  cheeky

Dec 8, 2022 - 10:51:28 AM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

67916 posts since 10/5/2013

When I get a legit email from the CRA they tell me something has been posted on my online account and might need my attention. I forgot my password, passcode, or whatever so I phoned them,, took an hour waiting to speak to a kindly gentleman who asked me a bunch of questions to verify who I was (not Chas Van Winkle, btw) ,, things like what was the name of your first pet, where did you live in grade 3, etc. so when that rigamorale was finished, he looked into my file and it turned out to be nothing important. So from now on, I’m ignoring anything from them and I’ll wait ‘til they axe their way into my apt. if it’s something of consequence.
Like our once jovial, sometimes surly, and often pickled Premier Ralph Klein once said, “Keep the Feds out of Alberta.”

Edited by - chuckv97 on 12/08/2022 10:53:16

Dec 8, 2022 - 10:56:12 AM
likes this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2038 posts since 8/9/2019

Can confirm, CRA will not call you, text you or email you.

You have to access your MyCRA account online and check the message inbox if you're awaiting any sort of info on their part.

Also, it's not tax refund season lol

I keep receiving fake RevenueQuebec text messages saying I received $650 in tax refund this month... Joke's on them! I actually owed taxes last year and dont qualify for any refund!

Dec 8, 2022 - 11:12:41 AM

chuckv97

Canada

67916 posts since 10/5/2013

Yes, I do get emails saying there’s a new notice on my account…as I ‘splained ^^^

Edited by - chuckv97 on 12/08/2022 11:13:02

Dec 8, 2022 - 11:17:59 AM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2038 posts since 8/9/2019

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

Yes, I do get emails saying there’s a new notice on my account…as I ‘splained ^^^


Weird, I must have opted out of email CRA notifications forever ago.

Either way, they won't email you with a big long email. It'll be something like "check your CRA inbox for further info".

Dec 8, 2022 - 11:20:55 AM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

67916 posts since 10/5/2013

Oh yeah,,it’s about 4 lines long,, and then en francais,of course. Why not francais first? John Cabot or Jacques Cartier?

Dec 8, 2022 - 12:05:45 PM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2038 posts since 8/9/2019

Don't worry. In a couple generations the french language will no longer exist anywhere on earth... Thank God.

Dec 8, 2022 - 12:33:20 PM

544 posts since 11/9/2021
Online Now

@Chuno that seems a bit harsh!

Dec 8, 2022 - 12:40:16 PM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2038 posts since 8/9/2019

Not harsh enough. There's a reason it's one of the quickest declining languages on earth.
French is my native tongue and I refuse to speak it unless I absolutely have to.

Dec 8, 2022 - 12:54:58 PM
like this
Players Union Member

grandpafive

Canada

3016 posts since 8/30/2014

Geez guys. I only meant to post a caution.  devil

Dec 8, 2022 - 1:02:16 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

12324 posts since 6/5/2011

But, but, but Bob .... one can't be too cautious.   wink

And... The Hockey Sweater just wouldn't be the same ... ditto for French speaking 'ockee player being interviewed in da henglish.   Gotta keep things "interesting," no?

Edited by - Owen on 12/08/2022 13:08:16

Dec 8, 2022 - 2:14:13 PM

chuckv97

Canada

67916 posts since 10/5/2013

A Hab is a ‘ab

Edited by - chuckv97 on 12/08/2022 14:14:33

Dec 8, 2022 - 2:23:04 PM
Players Union Member

grandpafive

Canada

3016 posts since 8/30/2014

Speaking of being cautious Owen, Tuesday this week I received ten phone calls in a four hour span advising me that someone had bought something worth $649.00 on my Amazon account. Funny? thing is six of the calls were long distance and four were local. same woman though (Olivia) Must be a time traveller.indecision

Dec 8, 2022 - 2:33:02 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

12324 posts since 6/5/2011

Nuthin' to do with phishing, but one of my all-time favo(u)rite interviews featured Claude Provost.  After the first period of a game with Boston, a period where Ferguson and Green had had a scrap, the interviewer asked a typically innane question about some technique or other the 'abs had used [or not], and Provost answered: "Boy, dat Fergie, 'e sure give it to Green, eh!"

Edit: We probably only average a spam call once a week; 4 or 5 emails a day.... so far we've been making do with simply trash(ing) them.  Mostly "confirmation reciepts" or some such malarkey for entities (?) we've not done business with, at least not in recent memory. 

However, we did get one just  yesterday [and previously a couple of years ago]. The computer appeared "frozen" and I was advised "Do NOT turn your computer "off" ... call such-and-such a number, etc."  So, naturally... I shut it off [with the button];  let it sit for a bit and then started it up.  It took longer to fire up, but so far as I can tell it's working as it was before. [I'm not advocating this method, just recounting what I did.] 

Edited by - Owen on 12/08/2022 14:49:36

Dec 8, 2022 - 3:50:52 PM
likes this

bubbalouie

Canada

16417 posts since 9/27/2007

Those scams are going around out here too. You know it's a scam when they want payment in gift cards!

Some people are getting bogus calls from the CRA too. A guy said "Yeah Right! Ever wait for a call from them when they owe YOU money! A call out of the blue from them HAS to be FAKE!

Dec 8, 2022 - 11:23:58 PM
like this

Paul R

Canada

16369 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

A Hab is a ‘ab


I don't know who it was, as we were living in Toronto, but my brother told me of the TV commercial for Dorion Suit, a store in (duh) Dorion, a Montreal suburb. It may have been Serge Savard. Anyway, the tag line at the end was, "Come to Dorion Suit, where there are no hassles!" Trouble was, "hassles" with his accent sounded like, uh, the word for anal cavities. So they redid the ad, and he said, "Come to Dorion Suit, where there are no ... (insert big smile on his face here) ... problem!"

Dec 8, 2022 - 11:34:43 PM

Paul R

Canada

16369 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Nuthin' to do with phishing, but one of my all-time favo(u)rite interviews featured Claude Provost.  After the first period of a game with Boston, a period where Ferguson and Green had had a scrap, the interviewer asked a typically innane question about some technique or other the 'abs had used [or not], and Provost answered: "Boy, dat Fergie, 'e sure give it to Green, eh!"


Or the post-game interview with the Habs' Saku Koivu, who scored a really pretty goal and then celebrated. When the interviewer said that DC/MD liked the move he made after he scored, Koivu snapped back, "Didn't he like the move I made when I scored?"

My brother and I were at a semi-final game at the Forum, where the Habs beat Chicago (with the Golden Jet) 6-2. A Quebecois sitting beside me, after another Canadiens' goal, said, "'ockey? Dey don' know 'ockey. bezzball, dat's deir game!" We maudit anglais told lots of French Canadian jokes back then, Not any more.

Dec 8, 2022 - 11:37:38 PM
likes this

Paul R

Canada

16369 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by bubbalouie

Those scams are going around out here too. You know it's a scam when they want payment in gift cards!

Some people are getting bogus calls from the CRA too. A guy said "Yeah Right! Ever wait for a call from them when they owe YOU money! A call out of the blue from them HAS to be FAKE!


My brother was executor of Dad's estate. After wrapping it up, he received a tax invoice (don't know if it was the feds or the province) - for ten cents. He went into the office and slapped a dime on the counter. The guy said, "I guess we goofed!"

Dec 9, 2022 - 3:10:06 AM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

67916 posts since 10/5/2013

quote:
Originally posted by Paul R
quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Nuthin' to do with phishing, but one of my all-time favo(u)rite interviews featured Claude Provost.  After the first period of a game with Boston, a period where Ferguson and Green had had a scrap, the interviewer asked a typically innane question about some technique or other the 'abs had used [or not], and Provost answered: "Boy, dat Fergie, 'e sure give it to Green, eh!"


Or the post-game interview with the Habs' Saku Koivu, who scored a really pretty goal and then celebrated. When the interviewer said that DC/MD liked the move he made after he scored, Koivu snapped back, "Didn't he like the move I made when I scored?"

After criticism for picking a team Captain that didn't speak French, Saku remarked to the press the next day, "I speak a little French in my wife's ear at night." 


Dec 9, 2022 - 3:39:14 AM

60020 posts since 12/14/2005

I kept a running total spreadsheet of how much money I was being promised by scammers for one year.
Posted it on the HangOut.
It was in the BILLIONS by the end of the year.
I shall do it again in 2023.

Dec 9, 2022 - 4:18:23 AM
likes this

532 posts since 7/13/2008

quote:
Originally posted by mike gregory

I kept a running total spreadsheet of how much money I was being promised by scammers for one year.
Posted it on the HangOut.
It was in the BILLIONS by the end of the year.
I shall do it again in 2023.


Hey Mike.  Could you keep a spreadsheet for the time required to maintain electronics, cars, mowers, hot water heaters, etc.. according to the instructions you receive when you purchase them?  I'm suspicious that we don't have the time to complete all the work required to just maintain a home.

Actually, just dealing with potential scammers takes up a lot of time.  Discover just shut down my card, but I didn't believe it until I couldn't use it.  I'd received a couple calls, but just assumed it was a some scam.  Meanwhile all the direct charges that I use that card for started backing up.

And a shout out to Canada.  I have always felt it was my home and native land.  Glad to get back to it three times this year after the Covid lockout.

Dec 9, 2022 - 5:23:19 AM
likes this

Paul R

Canada

16369 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

Oh yeah,,it’s about 4 lines long,, and then en francais,of course. Why not francais first? John Cabot or Jacques Cartier?


Because then it would have to be Italian and French. "John Cabot" was really Giovanni Caboto.

Dec 9, 2022 - 7:32:43 AM

kww

USA

2007 posts since 6/21/2008

quote:
Originally posted by ChunoTheDog

Not harsh enough. There's a reason it's one of the quickest declining languages on earth.
French is my native tongue and I refuse to speak it unless I absolutely have to.


It's certainly a frustrating language. Written French is pretty easy ... give me a French newspaper story and I'll be able to tell you what's going on, even though I might screw up the details. Spoken French is a nightmare, where any letter in the last half of a word is probably silent.

Dec 9, 2022 - 7:49:20 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

grandpafive

Canada

3016 posts since 8/30/2014

BHO is certainly an interesting site, We went from a caution of a possible scam to a language debate!

Dec 9, 2022 - 10:51:36 AM

Owen

Canada

12324 posts since 6/5/2011

Bob ...aren't you remiss in not issuing the caution in both official languages?? ?  cheeky

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.25