Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Nov 26, 2022 - 1:48:09 PM
14 posts since 8/22/2006

I have a small banjo . Looks to need a few repairs. When I got the banjo the guy said it was a stromberg not worth much but needed repairs. Tension ring is in pieces. Looks to have cracks in some of the wood. My question is would there be parts available to fix it.

Nov 26, 2022 - 3:27:37 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

Lew H


2801 posts since 3/10/2008

If the rim is 11 inches in outside diameter, many current tension bands will fit. You can likely find some on eBay, Stew-Mac or in the Marketplace here on BHO. Sometimes people sell old used banjo parts. so even if your rim is not 11 inch it is likely possible to find one to fit--just a longer search.

Nov 27, 2022 - 3:24:26 AM
likes this
Players Union Member



16373 posts since 8/30/2006

All the parts you need are available.
It looks like 20 hooks.
A grooved tension band with flat hooks at 11" rim

Bob Smakula is a member here and carries many of these kinds of parts. including the head if needed.

Edited by - Helix on 11/27/2022 03:28:29

Nov 27, 2022 - 4:37:39 AM
likes this

60027 posts since 12/14/2005

When you measure the rim size, measure across at 3 or 4 different locations.
Because, over time, string tension pulls some rims out of round.

As mentioned above, Bob Smakula has lots of parts.

OR--- you can bend a tension hoop from hardware store aluminum bar stock, if you want to.

Jan 2, 2023 - 8:47:27 PM

14 posts since 8/22/2006

Thanks all for the help.

Jan 3, 2023 - 2:09:56 PM

51 posts since 7/27/2010

Sorry to split hairs, but that is a Stomberg-Voisinnet(later Kay), not a Stromberg(different companies). But, don't worry, everything is out there, between Ebay, Reverb, this sites marketplace,  and Bob Smakula and Vinnie Mondello, and a host of others. Keep Googling until you find what you need! Good Luck!


Edited by - hielandman on 01/03/2023 14:10:42

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories