Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

110
Banjo Lovers Online


Nov 15, 2022 - 10:32:29 AM
1924 posts since 8/30/2012

GHS PF135: JD Crowe Signature Stage (10-11-12-20w-10)

GHS PF140: JD Crowe Signature Studio (9.5-11-12-20w-9.5)

Does anyone know why the 1st and 5th strings are different between these sets? There's got to be a reason for it.

Nov 15, 2022 - 10:36:15 AM
like this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2023 posts since 8/9/2019

In a nutshell, the 'stage' 10s can handle a more agressive attack (i.e. playing live)
The 'studio' 9.5s require a super light touch....(i.e. in a studio setting)

Make no mistake tho, both sets are extremely light in a general sense.

Nov 15, 2022 - 7:03:56 PM

2939 posts since 2/12/2005

I would not describe them as "very light". They are listed as Medium-Light by the GHS folks.

Nov 15, 2022 - 8:14:08 PM

2291 posts since 11/17/2018

Marketing.

Nov 16, 2022 - 3:00:39 AM

3060 posts since 12/4/2009

Hello,

Didn’t Earl Scruggs opine that he used a heavier gage string to record with than on stage? He claimed it reduced string slap. Less energetic movements are the results of thicker strings.

Edited by - Aradobanjo on 11/16/2022 03:01:01

Nov 16, 2022 - 5:08:25 AM
likes this

15087 posts since 6/29/2005

Crowe is a right hand man.  I go along with the idea that he just plays harder on a stage particularly an outdoor one than in  studio where engineers are adjusting the level.

What I could never understand about the studio set is the 9.5 ga 5th string—it sure didn't work for me, and I have a light touch, but use 11 ga for the 5th string and 22 for the 4th!  He must have a really light thumb strike, although in Masters of the 5 String Banjo he said he uses a heavy National thumbpick.  He also says he uses a Presto tailpiece with just enough pressure to keep the bridge down.

Nov 16, 2022 - 6:37:34 AM

15123 posts since 10/30/2008

I would also suggest that 9.5s break easier when playing on stage. 10s might not?

Nov 16, 2022 - 7:23:29 AM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2023 posts since 8/9/2019

quote:
Originally posted by randybartlett

I would not describe them as "very light". They are listed as Medium-Light by the GHS folks.


Have you used the studios or stages at all?

Nov 16, 2022 - 7:24:18 AM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2023 posts since 8/9/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Aradobanjo

Hello,

Didn’t Earl Scruggs opine that he used a heavier gage string to record with than on stage? He claimed it reduced string slap. Less energetic movements are the results of thicker strings.


These are supposedly JD Crowe specs. Jim Mills also uses these.

Nov 16, 2022 - 7:25:36 AM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2023 posts since 8/9/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Ken LeVan

Crowe is a right hand man.  I go along with the idea that he just plays harder on a stage particularly an outdoor one than in  studio where engineers are adjusting the level.

What I could never understand about the studio set is the 9.5 ga 5th string—it sure didn't work for me, and I have a light touch, but use 11 ga for the 5th string and 22 for the 4th!  He must have a really light thumb strike, although in Masters of the 5 String Banjo he said he uses a heavy National thumbpick.  He also says he uses a Presto tailpiece with just enough pressure to keep the bridge down.


He used a blue chip thumbpick for a long time after that.

Nov 16, 2022 - 12:46:09 PM

hbick2

USA

658 posts since 6/26/2004

J.D. played Bell Brand strings while they were still available. If I remember correctly they had 9.5 1sts and 5ths. He threw away the 4th string and replaced it with a Gibson wound 3rd. They were great strings.

Nov 16, 2022 - 2:17:22 PM

15123 posts since 10/30/2008

Chuno I have used both sets. I tend to prefer the Stage gauge. But I'll use either if that's what I have ready.

Nov 17, 2022 - 6:35:08 AM

14398 posts since 6/30/2020

When recording, the sound engineer has some input as to what he feels is the best sound. The musicians work with him/her to accommodate his/her recommendations. We all know each instrument has its own voice that is influenced by many factors, the strings being just one if those factors in the equation. So, maybe it’s as simple using the string weight that is most suitable for the best sound of the instrument.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1875