%>
Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

394
Banjo Lovers Online


Oct 4, 2022 - 9:06:31 PM
like this
406 posts since 12/6/2021

I don't know how long they have been out, but I just discovered Shubb Lite banjo capos (the regular capo, not the 5th string capo) and I am intrigued by them. They are made of aluminum and are available in different colors. Just for the fun of it and you might say I am anal about it or you might just say that I am a nerd, but I have different color tuning buttons on all of my banjos.

It started out when I had Chris Sorenson of Companion Custom Banjos make a set of green buttons for my Companion banjo that would match the green emerald in my ring. They turned out great and are a perfect match. So, I had him make a set of amber color buttons for my Fender Artist, a set of blue buttons for my Fender Leo, and a set of purple buttons for my Fender FB58.

So, talk about nerding out, I am ordering a green Shubb Lite capo for the Companion, a gold color Shubb Lite for my Fender Artist, a blue Shubb Lite for my Leo, and a purple Shubb Lite for my FB58. I know, sounds like a waste of time and money, but such mundane activities bring me joy in my old age.
Robert

Oct 4, 2022 - 9:22:29 PM
like this

2158 posts since 11/17/2018

Shubb Lite Capo

I may try one.

I have a Stokes/McKinney on my main banjo, and a Paige on the other.

Oct 4, 2022 - 9:42:26 PM
likes this

2158 posts since 11/17/2018

Ordered an L5 in Silver directly from Shubb.

$19.95 + free shipping.

It may replace the Paige.

Oct 5, 2022 - 6:51:56 AM
likes this

3196 posts since 9/5/2006

I've got one and it works just fine.

Oct 5, 2022 - 7:47:46 AM
likes this

3044 posts since 12/31/2005
Online Now

Well, the different colors are cool, but were we really struggling with the weight of the originals?laugh  Waiting for the first tone nerd to explain the difference it makes.  i thought I heard it all when I heard the arguments about the weight of tuners affecting tone (even Bela swears by this), so this has to be a thing.   For me, I like silver because I can see them in dark conditions.  Used a black one on my baritone (ML-1) and was scrambling to find it while playing at a house party.

Oct 5, 2022 - 7:53:43 AM
like this

Alex Z

USA

5003 posts since 12/7/2006

"Tone nerd"  =  good ears.  

Oct 5, 2022 - 8:04:45 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

TN Time

USA

406 posts since 12/6/2021

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Murphy

Well, the different colors are cool, but were we really struggling with the weight of the originals?laugh  Waiting for the first tone nerd to explain the difference it makes.  i thought I heard it all when I heard the arguments about the weight of tuners affecting tone (even Bela swears by this), so this has to be a thing.   For me, I like silver because I can see them in dark conditions.  Used a black one on my baritone (ML-1) and was scrambling to find it while playing at a house party.


 

Honestly, I have never noticed the weight of any capo being a problem at all. I just like the colors and the fact that they will match my tuner buttons even if no one else ever notices the match.

Robert

Oct 5, 2022 - 9:18:37 AM
likes this

1751 posts since 2/21/2011

quote:
Originally posted by TN Time
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Murphy

Well, the different colors are cool, but were we really struggling with the weight of the originals?laugh  Waiting for the first tone nerd to explain the difference it makes.  i thought I heard it all when I heard the arguments about the weight of tuners affecting tone (even Bela swears by this), so this has to be a thing.   For me, I like silver because I can see them in dark conditions.  Used a black one on my baritone (ML-1) and was scrambling to find it while playing at a house party.


 

Honestly, I have never noticed the weight of any capo being a problem at all. I just like the colors and the fact that they will match my tuner buttons even if no one else ever notices the match.

Robert


And ain't it great that we live in a time and a place where such "frivolous" things are just at our fingertips?  I love this country and all the stuff it has to offer!

Oct 5, 2022 - 1:43:17 PM

96 posts since 1/7/2021

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Z

"Tone nerd"  =  good ears.  


Only if they can reliably tell when blindfolded.

I spent a lot of time around audiophiles who had many tweaks for everything related to their sound systems.  Directional speaker cables, cryo-treated power cables, replacement volume knobs (the knobs, not the pots), and all sorts of other snake oil that they guzzled by the gallon.

It gave me a hefty dose of skepticism of anyone who claims to have superior hearing.

It's not a banjo or even an acoustic instrument, but I enjoyed this video exploring the various contributions to the tone of an electric guitar.   It would be neat to see a similar approach applied to some of the more debatable aspects of what affects tone on banjos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE

--

Back on topic.  Thanks for the link. I recently misplaced my Shubb and might as well order this other style, so when I find it again I have both types.

It looks like a good design, though I wonder if the lack of wheel will make it not feel quite as nice to use, or wear out faster.

That's really looking for nits to pick though.

Edited by - A Drum On A Stick on 10/05/2022 13:47:05

Oct 5, 2022 - 6:39:03 PM

2158 posts since 11/17/2018

I have been looking for something to replace the Paige.

The L5 Lite may do that.

Oct 5, 2022 - 7:10 PM
likes this

Fathand

Canada

12053 posts since 2/7/2008

I bought one from Amazon for my guitar. It's a hideous colour, purply pink or something (I'm colour blind) and it looks even worse on my Osage Orange fretboard but it works as good as a normal Shubb and about $10 cheaper. The weight saving is a positive I guess.

Oct 5, 2022 - 7:27:18 PM

chuckv97

Canada

67020 posts since 10/5/2013

I only like capos that tighten straight under the neck,, not off to the side. I tighten mine just enough so the strings don’t buzz,,,, saves mucho tuning

Oct 5, 2022 - 7:41:14 PM
like this

2158 posts since 11/17/2018

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

I only like capos that tighten straight under the neck


Some like Pepsi, some like Coca-Cola, some like Dr. Pepper.

Whatever works.

Oct 5, 2022 - 7:45:46 PM

chuckv97

Canada

67020 posts since 10/5/2013

Well, don’t you folks find that with those side tightening capos you have to tighten a lot to get the strings down enough at the distal end of the capo?

Oct 6, 2022 - 12:55:20 PM

mrbook

USA

2076 posts since 2/22/2006

I bought a green one and a blue one, and they work just fine. The price seemed a little cheaper than the regular Shubb, and I liked the idea of a color, so I gave it a try. I like to have 2-3 capos in every banjo case, anyway.

Oct 7, 2022 - 6:23:54 AM

3040 posts since 12/4/2009

Hello,

For banjo, I have taller frets on my RB-12. I did use a Shubb with my GoldStar SG-100-FE for years. Now I use the Elliot. This works on tall frets.

For guitar, I use Thalia capos. This works best for me.

For Dobro, I use Charlie’s capo. This is the least obtrusive capo and easiest to install with one hand.

Oct 7, 2022 - 9:35:46 AM
likes this

5876 posts since 7/12/2004

Many people don't put on a side mounted capo right. Always put it on with fulcrum part covering the small strings, the open end is then Easyer to hold down the big strings. I know I may not be explaining the right, but it works

Oct 10, 2022 - 10:51:16 AM

chuckv97

Canada

67020 posts since 10/5/2013

quote:
Originally posted by pick1936

Many people don't put on a side mounted capo right. Always put it on with fulcrum part covering the small strings, the open end is then Easyer to hold down the big strings. I know I may not be explaining the right, but it works


I hear you,, it's just that I don't like the big end sticking out on that side,, I bang into the capo enough going back to grab a C chord. 

Oct 10, 2022 - 12:44 PM

2158 posts since 11/17/2018

Got mine this past weekend.

Nice capo.

Oct 10, 2022 - 11:23:35 PM
Players Union Member

TN Time

USA

406 posts since 12/6/2021

I also received mine this weekend. Looks great, works great, and the price is great. What's not to like.
Robert

Oct 11, 2022 - 7:28:34 AM

8160 posts since 9/5/2006

i like my old brass shubb.. i had to radius it to fit my neck ,,once i got it radiused correctly it works fine... and its all broke in too... plus i like the weight of it.

Oct 12, 2022 - 4:34:08 AM

3044 posts since 12/31/2005
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by A Drum On A Stick
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Z

"Tone nerd"  =  good ears.  


I enjoyed this video exploring the various contributions to the tone of an electric guitar.   It would be neat to see a similar approach applied to some of the more debatable aspects of what affects tone on banjos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE

.


That video has probably made a lot of people mad, but it is proving what Les Paul said many times.  It's why I scratch my head at the variations in price I see based on brand name only.

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.28125