Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Oct 4, 2022 - 12:00:57 PM
5925 posts since 10/12/2009
Online Now

Anyone have an idea of what brand of tuners these are? I've got a  prewar open-back Gibson tenor for sale in the Classifieds right now, and in the ad,  I've got the tuners ID'd as Grovers, but i"ve been told that they aren't Grovers......anyone know what they are?


Oct 4, 2022 - 12:39:16 PM

10144 posts since 8/28/2013

I don't know, but I've got a set of these on a trapdoor PB 3 (1924). That is, i these are the spring-loaded ones.

Oct 4, 2022 - 5:28:13 PM



23120 posts since 7/6/2005

Why does it matter? Replace them with something geared and easier to tune. 

Edited by - beegee on 10/04/2022 17:32:37

Oct 4, 2022 - 5:38:49 PM
likes this

2392 posts since 1/4/2009

same as on my pyramid tb2, ive always heard them called grovers too.

Edited by - kyleb on 10/04/2022 17:39:37

Oct 4, 2022 - 5:49:39 PM
likes this

12417 posts since 10/27/2006

I believe those are Grovers. Highly desired by ukulele collectors. I can't stand friction pegs with steel strings on a banjo.

My RB-3 trapdoor, a few Vegas and my Bacon B all had Waverly friction pegs of various designs and model designations.

Oct 4, 2022 - 6:10:55 PM

10144 posts since 8/28/2013

They probably are Grovers, but not their best design. They are supposed to stay tight with the springs, but they don't, and if you tighten them, they tend to dig into the peghead.

I haven't replaced them with something better because I no longer play much and like to keep things original. Had I not had a stroke recently, and still played professionally, maybe I'd spring for a set of Gotohs.

Oct 4, 2022 - 6:50:22 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

Eric A


1637 posts since 10/15/2019

Look the same as the ones on my Oriole('28) and TB-1('27) necks, whatever they are.

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories