%>
Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

334
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Sep 26, 2022 - 12:43:01 PM
125 posts since 4/24/2007

So the time has come to pare down my life’s banjo accumulation - yes, while it is a good problem to have, it is possible to have too many banjos. If you were to only keep one of these gems which would it be and why? (The rest will go to the Hangout classified ads)
l to r
Kyle Smith Walnut Legend - a clear winner for tone
Nechville Leon Hunt - easy to plat w/tunneled fifth string, radiused fretboard, light weight
Deering Tenbrooks - I put Scruggs tuners on this one! Bought at the factory.
Ome Single X - 1983 plain but sweet sound and convertible to open back. Owned it for 35+ years.
Hank in San Diego


 

Sep 26, 2022 - 1:47:57 PM
like this

Bart Veerman

Canada

5327 posts since 1/5/2005

I'd put them all up for sale and keep the last one left, saves you making a decision you're bound to regret wink

Sep 26, 2022 - 2:33:41 PM
likes this

13701 posts since 6/2/2008

Having not heard the banjos and knowing little or nothing about some of them, I'd keep the Tenbrooks.

What any of us would keep has nothing to do with what you'll be happiest keeping.

Edited by - Old Hickory on 09/26/2022 14:34:10

Sep 26, 2022 - 3:01:41 PM
like this
Players Union Member

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

28017 posts since 8/3/2003

Which one do you play the most? That's probably the one I'd keep.

Sep 26, 2022 - 3:27:07 PM
like this
Players Union Member

Eric A

USA

1639 posts since 10/15/2019

For me, I'm sentimentally attached to the one I've had the longest, even though it's not my best any more.

Sep 26, 2022 - 3:47:52 PM
like this

593 posts since 12/15/2003

Why would anyone want to get rid of a banjo ?

Sep 26, 2022 - 3:49:47 PM
like this

doryman

USA

1263 posts since 11/26/2012

Hank...do you only have those four banjos, or are there others? If it's just those four, I would be very, very reticent to sell any. Four is barely enough to keep yourself in business. You have your regular player, your back-up, the one you loan to a friend, and the one that's always in some state of repair and unplayable at the present time. If you ask me, you're flying without a net right now.

Sep 26, 2022 - 4:09:53 PM

1660 posts since 4/13/2009

Put the Scruggs tuners on the Nechville and keep it.

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:12:22 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

I always intended the Nechville to be the long term keeper, however if you’ve ever had Keith tuners on a banjo you know they do make tuning more of a challenge!

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:16:34 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Veerman

I'd put them all up for sale and keep the last one left, saves you making a decision you're bound to regret wink


That's a good option!

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:20:01 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by doryman

Hank...do you only have those four banjos, or are there others? If it's just those four, I would be very, very reticent to sell any. Four is barely enough to keep yourself in business. You have your regular player, your back-up, the one you loan to a friend, and the one that's always in some state of repair and unplayable at the present time. If you ask me, you're flying without a net right now.


I have a variety of open-backs but just those 4 resonator Jo's. I like your rationale! 

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:23:37 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Eric A

For me, I'm sentimentally attached to the one I've had the longest, even though it's not my best any more.


Absolutely! That old Ome has a spot in my heart for sure!

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:32:59 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Unclelevi

Why would anyone want to get rid of a banjo ?


Well I'm almost 80 and the wife wants to downsize... maybe I should keep the banjos and lose the wife? (Just kidding, dear!)

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:37:40 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Old Hickory

Having not heard the banjos and knowing little or nothing about some of them, I'd keep the Tenbrooks.

What any of us would keep has nothing to do with what you'll be happiest keeping.


You're right, however I love getting different views of the same thing. The Deering is a winner!

Sep 26, 2022 - 5:42 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Texasbanjo

Which one do you play the most? That's probably the one I'd keep.


I always have one out on an instrument stand ready to play... that's the one that gets played the most! It's like picking your favorite child!

Sep 26, 2022 - 6:56:03 PM

banjoez

USA

2461 posts since 7/18/2007

Keep the one that sounds and plays best to you. The one you reach for.

Sep 26, 2022 - 8:14:44 PM

Bart Veerman

Canada

5327 posts since 1/5/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Hankster2
quote:

Absolutely! That old Ome has a spot in my heart for sure!


 

I think you just answered your own question... smiley

Sep 27, 2022 - 5:37:36 AM

8166 posts since 9/5/2006

for me if it was down to just one,,, i would pick the lightest one,,, our backs ain't 30 years old any more,,,,if you know what i mean.

Sep 27, 2022 - 7:59:50 AM
likes this

125 posts since 4/24/2007

quote:
Originally posted by 1935tb-11

for me if it was down to just one,,, i would pick the lightest one,,, our backs ain't 30 years old any more,,,,if you know what i mean.


Yep, that was the major consideration in purchasing a Nechville with the wood tonering.

Sep 28, 2022 - 6:27:26 AM

8166 posts since 9/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Hankster2
quote:
Originally posted by 1935tb-11

for me if it was down to just one,,, i would pick the lightest one,,, our backs ain't 30 years old any more,,,,if you know what i mean.


Yep, that was the major consideration in purchasing a Nechville with the wood tonering.


well then i think you have your answer,,, sell the rest and go to ireland for a week.

Edited by - 1935tb-11 on 09/28/2022 06:28:20

Sep 28, 2022 - 8:03:18 AM
likes this

4413 posts since 6/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Hankster2
quote:
Originally posted by 1935tb-11

for me if it was down to just one,,, i would pick the lightest one,,, our backs ain't 30 years old any more,,,,if you know what i mean.


Yep, that was the major consideration in purchasing a Nechville with the wood tonering.


In that case, keep two, the Nechville and the one that truly speaks to you (assuming the Nechville is not the one that does). wink

Seriously, I understand your situation. I have seven high-level resonator banjos (well, just six in the house, a bass playing friend borrowed one ten years ago and I haven't seen it since). I play them in rotation, two or three for a few weeks, then two or three others for a few weeks. No two are the same, even those made by the same company. I love the differences, the nuances of design (construction and cosmetics), tone and set-up that affect how I relate to each one. I would be hard pressed to pick (so to speak) a favorite, and clearly you are too. But if I had to divest myself right now, I'd keep the Stelling Afton Star, whose light weight was as much a consideration for me as the Nechville's was for you, and also hold on to the one that, as much as I love them all, I relate to the most (I'm not telling). 

Sep 29, 2022 - 9:05:13 AM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

Thanks for that… your strategy would at least simplify the choices. Now about the open backs!

Sep 29, 2022 - 10:16:52 AM

4413 posts since 6/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Hankster2

Thanks for that… your strategy would at least simplify the choices. Now about the open backs!


I sold my old open backs (1909 Whyte Laydie No. 2, 1890 Cole's Eclipse, 1974 Frank Proffitt ,Jr. fretless) because they weren't getting played and deserved to be.  I kept my Gold Tone WL 250+ because it was getting played and I didn't have to worry about it.

Sep 29, 2022 - 4:29:36 PM

453 posts since 4/15/2006

If it will help you , I'd be happy to hang on to the OME for you !!

Sep 29, 2022 - 4:49:22 PM

125 posts since 4/24/2007

Well I will be putting one or more in the BHO classifieds, its just that the shipping kills you for heavy resonator banjos. How close to San Diego are you?

Oct 1, 2022 - 2:36:21 PM

508 posts since 7/13/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Hankster2
quote:
Originally posted by Unclelevi

Why would anyone want to get rid of a banjo ?


Well I'm almost 80 and the wife wants to downsize... maybe I should keep the banjos and lose the wife? (Just kidding, dear!)


Downsizing?  Four banjos don't take up that much space. Just get rid of the washing machine or dryer, they take up about as much space as four banjos.

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.296875