Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

1055
Banjo Lovers Online


Gospel Plough -Chance McCoy & the Appalachian String Band

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jul 31, 2022 - 2:23:56 AM
75 posts since 8/17/2020

Anyone have any advice/guidance/TAB for Chance McCoy & the Appalachian String Band Gospel Plough?

J

Jul 31, 2022 - 5:15:17 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

4294 posts since 3/11/2004

There are two tab arrangements in the Tab Library for Chance McCoy's fine version. One by Jack Beuthin and one by me.

Gospel Plow (CH) Tab - Details and Ratings - Banjo Hangout

Gospel Plow Tab - Details and Ratings - Banjo Hangout

David

Jul 31, 2022 - 6:00:52 AM
likes this

7628 posts since 11/4/2005
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks

There are two tab arrangements in the Tab Library for Chance McCoy's fine version. One by Jack Beuthin and one by me.

Gospel Plow (CH) Tab - Details and Ratings - Banjo Hangout

Gospel Plow Tab - Details and Ratings - Banjo Hangout

David


This is one of my all time favorite albums, so I made the mistake of working it out before checking.  That's Adam Hurt on the banjo, and it is some really sweet picking.  There are some neat little moves Adam puts in there, like tickling the high A note on the IV chord, and pulling off a couple of times on the 1st string without plucking it, that Jack has included in his tab, but it does make it a bit harder to play.  I think Adam is getting the IV chord by barring at 5, and then fretting the 1st string at the 7th fret with one of his other fingers.  David's tab will be easier.

Jul 31, 2022 - 7:03:35 AM

844 posts since 12/19/2010

I also have a demo video on YouTube that goes with my tab.

https://youtu.be/H_4xG-DN90Q

Thanks Don for the correction--it's Adam on the banjo, not Chance.  Making those updates.

Also, as Don noted, measures 9 & 10 on my tab go to a bar chord at the 5th fret to play the IV chord.  I didn't show the chord form explicitly, but it is apparent in my video.

Jul 31, 2022 - 7:33:17 AM

4132 posts since 9/12/2016

not to be a comparison or competition to the playing here--AdamHurt puts puts me to shame quickly --but this in some ways was, my favorite Dylan album and I always gave this one a double listen so  I thought I-d throw it on the pile here

Edited by - Tractor1 on 07/31/2022 07:36:06

Jul 31, 2022 - 8:06:19 AM
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

4294 posts since 3/11/2004

Don Borchelt - I agree that Adam plays some tasty backup to Chance's fiddle. In my tab, I listened more to the fiddle as a source. Now I need to follow your suggestions and take a deeper dive into Adam's playing on the tube.

David

Jul 31, 2022 - 9:57:32 AM

7628 posts since 11/4/2005
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks

Don Borchelt - I agree that Adam plays some tasty backup to Chance's fiddle. In my tab, I listened more to the fiddle as a source. Now I need to follow your suggestions and take a deeper dive into Adam's playing on the tube.

David


It never hurts to have a choice between easier and not quite so easy.  And the OP didn't specifically ask for a tab of the banjo on the recording.

Aug 12, 2022 - 9:39:43 AM

75 posts since 8/17/2020

Thanks all, I didn't subscribe to the thread so just getting to it

Regards

J

Aug 12, 2022 - 11:23:44 AM

8082 posts since 8/30/2004
Online Now

Don,
Have you heard Clifton Hicks' version--I like it a lot. Both tabs presented here are great...jack
 
Originally posted by Don Borchelt
quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks

There are two tab arrangements in the Tab Library for Chance McCoy's fine version. One by Jack Beuthin and one by me.

Gospel Plow (CH) Tab - Details and Ratings - Banjo Hangout

Gospel Plow Tab - Details and Ratings - Banjo Hangout

David


This is one of my all time favorite albums, so I made the mistake of working it out before checking.  That's Adam Hurt on the banjo, and it is some really sweet picking.  There are some neat little moves Adam puts in there, like tickling the high A note on the IV chord, and pulling off a couple of times on the 1st string without plucking it, that Jack has included in his tab, but it does make it a bit harder to play.  I think Adam is getting the IV chord by barring at 5, and then fretting the 1st string at the 7th fret with one of his other fingers.  David's tab will be easier.


Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/12/2022 11:28:02

Aug 13, 2022 - 4:59:40 AM
likes this

7628 posts since 11/4/2005
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Baker
Don,
Have you heard Clifton Hicks' version--I like it a lot. Both tabs presented here are great...jack

Yes, I have, Jack, and I agree, he plays it well.  Here is a video for anyone who is interested in hearing it.  He starts off with 2 finger, thumb lead, and then moves to index lead up-picking with a very pronounced brush stroke, proving yet again, there is more than one way to skin a... calf.

 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Aug 13, 2022 - 5:33:04 AM

8082 posts since 8/30/2004
Online Now

Hi Don,
Yes, Clifton certainly has his own unique way of playing all kinds of variations and styles. Many of my students from BHO seem to favor him...Jack

Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/13/2022 05:34:01

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1582031