Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

957
Banjo Lovers Online


Jul 6, 2022 - 8:20:53 AM
25 posts since 3/28/2022

Heya folks. We all know cripple creek, or at least I thought I did. Learned from Pankey, upgraded to the version in the scruggs bible, but now that I've lived and breathed the song for 6 months, I realize that when I listen to the song on youtube, there is a part I don't have tablature for.
At 40 seconds in to this video youtube.com/watch?v=lylfNG144xY (The 2:06 minute long version of CC)
There is something that is not the standard A or B part, and I'd like to know if anyone can tell what he is doing there.

There is another variation at 1:05, but that sounds like he simply swapped a 2-5 slide for a full rake.

I did search through the forums for this, but Cripple creek is a pretty popular topic, and I didn't want to go through all 10+ pages of individual threads.


Thank you all for your ears and your time.

Jul 6, 2022 - 8:42:09 AM
likes this

Walker

USA

332 posts since 10/28/2003

It is a variation on the B part, and I'll bet there is nothing there that you don't already do someplace else. You probably know you can slow down the YT videos, take it to 50%, and listen a few times. I've learned that most of the time it's not as complicated as you might think. And, you'll have big confidence boost when you figure it with your ears.

Jul 6, 2022 - 8:53:11 AM
likes this

beegee

USA

23022 posts since 7/6/2005

Banjo playing always should consist of variations on a theme. The problem with learning by tab is that many players want to stick to and DEPEND on tab. I prefer to learn equivalent NOISES: variations using the same notes and time value of phrases. In that 40 second space, instead of sliding2-4, you would hammer on 2-3 the 3rd string and immediately note the 2nd string, 2nd fret. Then you could pull-off 3-2 and hammer on 2nd of the 4th. There are several variations that can be done. Make it your own, AS LONG AS THE TIMING IS EQUIVALENT.

Jul 6, 2022 - 1:14:23 PM

25 posts since 3/28/2022

quote:
Originally posted by Walker

It is a variation on the B part, and I'll bet there is nothing there that you don't already do someplace else. You probably know you can slow down the YT videos, take it to 50%, and listen a few times. I've learned that most of the time it's not as complicated as you might think. And, you'll have big confidence boost when you figure it with your ears.


Unfortunately I haven't the best ear for music.   As this is just audio and I can't watch hands,  it's hard for me to tell what might be happening with my limited toolkit.   I understand the need to make something my own,  I play cripple creek in a mix of pankey and scruggs styles,  and even have mashed together cripple creek and boil them cabbage into one song, ( which obviously I refer to as cabbage creek) which is my favorite thing to play these days.  This is not so I can do it "exactly like scruggs" this is me trying to see what this variation is to see if it's something I can add to my toolkit.   I will keep trying to figure out what these notes are,  but with how grainy things sound at half speed,  and my uncertainty with what fretwork to attribute to each sound, I am not hopeful.  I'll let you know if I figure it out. 

 

Thank you both for the advice. 

Jul 6, 2022 - 2:23:04 PM

1619 posts since 11/16/2006

Jul 6, 2022 - 2:25:31 PM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

65129 posts since 10/5/2013

quote:
Originally posted by bobhasawebsite

Heya folks. We all know cripple creek, or at least I thought I did. Learned from Pankey, upgraded to the version in the scruggs bible, but now that I've lived and breathed the song for 6 months, I realize that when I listen to the song on youtube, there is a part I don't have tablature for.
At 40 seconds in to this video youtube.com/watch?v=lylfNG144xY (The 2:06 minute long version of CC)
There is something that is not the standard A or B part, and I'd like to know if anyone can tell what he is doing there.

There is another variation at 1:05, but that sounds like he simply swapped a 2-5 slide for a full rake.

I did search through the forums for this, but Cripple creek is a pretty popular topic, and I didn't want to go through all 10+ pages of individual threads.


Thank you all for your ears and your time.


Hi Bob,  here's the way I play that variation


 

Jul 6, 2022 - 4:00:54 PM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

65129 posts since 10/5/2013

Here’s my vid,, at the :27 second mark
youtu.be/IaY1N81Mt6I

Jul 6, 2022 - 7:36:04 PM

17 posts since 11/18/2018

I always like Alan Munde’s variations.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fxkTpv7cP-Y

Jul 7, 2022 - 1:06:23 AM
like this

phb

Germany

3413 posts since 11/8/2010

quote:
Originally posted by bobhasawebsite
 

Unfortunately I haven't the best ear for music.   As this is just audio and I can't watch hands,  it's hard for me to tell what might be happening with my limited toolkit.


Try this wonderful website which makes looping youtube videos a lot easier:

https://looptube.xyz/?vid=lylfNG144xY&start=40.35&end=47.31

I already set up the loop for you. Slow it down and try to match it with banjo in hands. And if it takes an hour or more, you'll be able to figure it out! The next time you do this it will go faster and faster.

Jul 7, 2022 - 9:59:15 AM
likes this

25 posts since 3/28/2022

Thank you again folks.

asmgsgac - This is exactly what I need to pick apart tabs. Being able to see both hands in a slower rendition is wonderful. And good playing to boot!

Chuckv97 Having a set of tabs as a starting point helps a lot. Thank you. Also you've earned a subscriber on youtube.

Ethel the cat - I've never heard of Alan Munde, or this version. Not only does he start the song with the variation I'm looking for, It sounds like he has a couple other bits of variation in there I could try and pull apart as I learn how to do this by ear better.

PHB - I've been working technology and an avid internet nerd for a decade and a half now, and somehow I'd not heard of, or even considered there would be a tool to loop a small section of a Youtube video. This is an incredible tool and will even help with Pankey's videos as well.

As always, this community is wonderful. Consider this question healthily answered. I have plenty to pick apart to add to my own version of cripple creek (or in my case, cabbage creek)

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jul 7, 2022 - 10:07:18 AM

phb

Germany

3413 posts since 11/8/2010

bobhasawebsite : that site was actually created not too long ago by BHO member brianshano who deserves all the praise for creating it. See this thread:

banjohangout.org/topic/382457

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.171875