Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

719
Banjo Lovers Online


Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Jul 5, 2022 - 9:02:24 PM
like this
7299 posts since 2/14/2006

Love is the single greatest attribute on earth.  Love isn't just a feeling, it's an action.  Something to live by, depend on and to hope in.  Without love, I believe humanity would wither away.

Jul 6, 2022 - 2:07:17 AM

m06

England

11272 posts since 10/5/2006

Please can we have this post made into a sticky? heart

Edited by - m06 on 07/06/2022 02:08:09

Jul 6, 2022 - 8:01:44 AM
likes this

STUD

USA

36082 posts since 3/5/2008
Online Now

While I agree with the O.P. ...

Love comes in many forms...some are not realised.. for years..or after the fact...

Tough love might be one example...

N..then there is..blind love...

Edited by - STUD on 07/06/2022 08:02:51

Jul 6, 2022 - 9:41:25 AM

76441 posts since 5/9/2007

I had an 8th grade teacher who told us that the roots of love were selfish and that we loved someone just to become loved by them...to satisfy ourselves.

Jul 6, 2022 - 10:52:14 AM
like this

WesB

USA

440 posts since 12/17/2014

Lemme guess ......... she was a bitter old maid school marm. I married a high school English teacher. She corrected and graded my love letters. I tell people that I was a ways behind in school. I wasn't molested by a school teacher until I was in my mid-twenties.

Jul 6, 2022 - 11:18:20 AM

Owen

Canada

11403 posts since 6/5/2011

....again, philosophy isn't my strong point, and I'll admit to not having given it a lot of thought, but I wonder whether tolerance and/or respect might give love a run for it's money in the "single greatest attribute" sweepstakes.   

... and like Al says, love manifests itself in m-a-n-y forms.

Edited by - Owen on 07/06/2022 11:19:39

Jul 6, 2022 - 10:04:25 PM

Paul R

Canada

15998 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

... and like Al says, love manifests itself in m-a-n-y forms.


Not all of which are love.

Jul 6, 2022 - 10:23:45 PM
likes this

11261 posts since 8/22/2006

And then you have those that wouldn’t know love if it came up and smacked them in the face. On the other hand there is lust too often than not it confuses the masses into thinking it’s love. I raise my hand and bow my head to that statement.

Jul 6, 2022 - 10:40:29 PM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

65129 posts since 10/5/2013

Love is a verb, not a noun

Jul 7, 2022 - 6:28:46 AM
like this

Owen

Canada

11403 posts since 6/5/2011

.... 'cept when it's a noun ... or used in telling us the score in tennis.

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jul 7, 2022 - 7:14:40 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

11403 posts since 6/5/2011

Mr. Ranch: "On the other hand there is lust too often than not it confuses the masses into thinking it’s love."

   I don't doubt that it's "too often."  I think the link between lust and love might well hinge on "smarts."

Jul 7, 2022 - 8:28:31 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14738 posts since 5/24/2005

laugh

Jul 7, 2022 - 9:30:01 AM

76441 posts since 5/9/2007

quote:
Originally posted by WesB

Lemme guess ......... she was a bitter old maid school marm. I married a high school English teacher. She corrected and graded my love letters. I tell people that I was a ways behind in school. I wasn't molested by a school teacher until I was in my mid-twenties.


She was married to our math teacher and had no children of her own.

Jul 7, 2022 - 10:32:48 AM
likes this

m06

England

11272 posts since 10/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

And then you have those that wouldn’t know love if it came up and smacked them in the face. On the other hand there is lust too often than not it confuses the masses into thinking it’s love. I raise my hand and bow my head to that statement.


I think that confusing love as sexual attraction is probably very common among men.

Jul 7, 2022 - 11:59:56 AM
like this

Owen

Canada

11403 posts since 6/5/2011

Taylor and McCall give some insight:

From about :30 to :40 .... "She said, 'Come on hillbilly, I'll show you a thing or two.'  I should have known right then and there; but I didn't know what to do .... etc., etc."

 

Jul 7, 2022 - 4:56:56 PM

STUD

USA

36082 posts since 3/5/2008
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

Love is a verb, not a noun


That one is a keeper...

It should be a folk song...

N ..Chuck should get the Royalties.. :0)

Jul 7, 2022 - 4:59:59 PM

STUD

USA

36082 posts since 3/5/2008
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by m06
quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

And then you have those that wouldn’t know love if it came up and smacked them in the face. On the other hand there is lust too often than not it confuses the masses into thinking it’s love. I raise my hand and bow my head to that statement.


I think that confusing love as sexual attraction is probably very common among men.


I wouldn't say that it is just ..men....

Jul 7, 2022 - 5:10:07 PM

chuckv97

Canada

65129 posts since 10/5/2013

quote:
Originally posted by STUD
quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

Love is a verb, not a noun


That one is a keeper...

It should be a folk song...

N ..Chuck should get the Royalties.. :0)


Thanks, Al STUD,, but I can't take the credit,,,, heard it at an AA meeting.  Lotta drunks there have wisdom. 

Jul 7, 2022 - 5:19:19 PM
likes this

STUD

USA

36082 posts since 3/5/2008
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97
quote:
Originally posted by STUD
quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

Love is a verb, not a noun


That one is a keeper...

It should be a folk song...

N ..Chuck should get the Royalties.. :0)


Thanks, Al STUD,, but I can't take the credit,,,, heard it at an AA meeting.  Lotta drunks there have wisdom. 


Well...

I heard it from ..you...First.. ;0)

Jul 7, 2022 - 9:55:44 PM

Paul R

Canada

15998 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by STUD
quote:
Originally posted by m06
quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

And then you have those that wouldn’t know love if it came up and smacked them in the face. On the other hand there is lust too often than not it confuses the masses into thinking it’s love. I raise my hand and bow my head to that statement.


I think that confusing love as sexual attraction is probably very common among men.


I wouldn't say that it is just ..men....


But more so among men. Women are more practical in choosing mates.

Jul 8, 2022 - 3:42:28 AM

STUD

USA

36082 posts since 3/5/2008
Online Now

Seems to me I remember the Elvis..n..Beatles crouds.. as a kid...
Not too mention the fawning over movie actors..

Jul 8, 2022 - 6:17:59 AM

Owen

Canada

11403 posts since 6/5/2011

^^^  but, but, but, what time frame are we applying to "mate"?

Edited by - Owen on 07/08/2022 06:19:53

Jul 8, 2022 - 8:44:18 AM

13270 posts since 1/15/2005

Yes, love comes in several forms ......

Philos ..... brotherly love ..... probably a bad example but Philadelphia is often called the city of "brotherly love". IT is the kind of love that you have for your brothers, sisters, parents, and other family members,

Agape .....  this is the kind of unconditional love that you give to others, even those you may not know, and expect nothing in return.  It is the kind I think we most always think of when talking about love.  Think of caring for an elderly person, or a person who may have Alzheimer's whom never acknowledges you help.

Eros ........ the physical and sensual intimacy relationship between two people who are attracted to each other

There may be others, but these rae the hree traditional ones that I know about ..... all from the Greek language

Jul 8, 2022 - 9:21:39 AM

76441 posts since 5/9/2007

I believe men and women share equally in love or lack thereof.

Jul 8, 2022 - 10:07:48 AM
Players Union Member

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

12360 posts since 2/22/2007

Is Love volitional? Can Love be restrained by laws? Or will our heart love what it loves?

Not talking about actions based upon love, but the emotion itself. 

Edited by - banjo bill-e on 07/08/2022 10:08:35

Jul 9, 2022 - 2:50:27 PM

Paul R

Canada

15998 posts since 1/28/2010

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Yes, love comes in several forms ......

Philos ..... brotherly love ..... probably a bad example but Philadelphia is often called the city of "brotherly love". IT is the kind of love that you have for your brothers, sisters, parents, and other family members,

Agape .....  this is the kind of unconditional love that you give to others, even those you may not know, and expect nothing in return.  It is the kind I think we most always think of when talking about love.  Think of caring for an elderly person, or a person who may have Alzheimer's whom never acknowledges you help.

Eros ........ the physical and sensual intimacy relationship between two people who are attracted to each other

There may be others, but these are the three traditional ones that I know about ..... all from the Greek language


Well, John, C.S. Lewis, in his book The Four Loves, breaks it down into Affection, Friendship, Eros, and Charity. I won't go into detail - I haven't read it since university.

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.28125