Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

857
Banjo Lovers Online


Jul 4, 2022 - 4:53:23 PM
90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

Is there any special consideration I need to be aware of before attempting to install a 5th string spike in my Richlite fretboard?

I'll probably just do the 7th fret.
Thanks for all your help!

Jul 4, 2022 - 5:47:15 PM
like this

5503 posts since 5/9/2007

Big fan of railroad spikes here!

Perhaps a pilot hole is in order.

Jul 4, 2022 - 5:49:30 PM
like this

3018 posts since 4/7/2010

I do it frequently. As Richlite doesn't compress the same as wood, the pilot hole will have to be bigger. With the spikes I use, I drill a .035" hole in Richlite. Wood fretboards usually get a .032" hole.

Bob Smakula

Jul 4, 2022 - 7:56:40 PM
likes this

90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smakula

I do it frequently. As Richlite doesn't compress the same as wood, the pilot hole will have to be bigger. With the spikes I use, I drill a .035" hole in Richlite. Wood fretboards usually get a .032" hole.

Bob Smakula


Thanks Bob, what spikes do you use?

Jul 4, 2022 - 8:01:58 PM
likes this

5503 posts since 5/9/2007

Good luck Banjercat!

Jul 4, 2022 - 9:04:34 PM
likes this

banjonz

New Zealand

11475 posts since 6/29/2003

Is Richlite the same material on the RK-80 fretboard? If so there is no problem installing spikes in.

Jul 5, 2022 - 4:16:18 AM
likes this

3018 posts since 4/7/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Banjercat

Thanks Bob, what spikes do you use?


I buy my spikes from Micro Engineering. I buy many thousands at a time and package them in bags of 10  and  100 to resell to folks that don't need to buy a large amount. I sell bag of 10 for $1 and 100  for $5.

Bob Smakula

smakula.com

Edited by - Bob Smakula on 07/05/2022 04:17:49

Jul 5, 2022 - 5:21:35 PM

90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smakula
quote:
Originally posted by Banjercat

Thanks Bob, what spikes do you use?


I buy my spikes from Micro Engineering. I buy many thousands at a time and package them in bags of 10  and  100 to resell to folks that don't need to buy a large amount. I sell bag of 10 for $1 and 100  for $5.

Bob Smakula

smakula.com


Sounds good Bob. I don't seem to have that bit. Got a 0.030 and an 0.0355. I'd take a pack of spikes from you if I could find the right bit. Stewmac wants $33.00 plus shipping for their recommended bits. 

Jul 11, 2022 - 6:43:13 PM

90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smakula

I do it frequently. As Richlite doesn't compress the same as wood, the pilot hole will have to be bigger. With the spikes I use, I drill a .035" hole in Richlite. Wood fretboards usually get a .032" hole.

Bob Smakula


Bob, That Richlite is hard stuff! I bet it is a booger to fret and such?

I measured the spikes you so very kindly sent me @ 0.034 so I tried an 0.032 pilot hole , bent the spike. I managed to remove it and drilled to 0.035 as you suggested. That felt a bit loose but I installed the spike with a drop of superglue and it seems to be holding. I think I got the pilot hole a bit too deep too but this is my first attempt. Do you think an 0.033 pilot hole would work in this stuff? or possibly 0.034? I am used to smaller holes in regular wood for pilot holes, this stuff is a different animal although I must admit I like the look and feel of it while playing quite a bit.

Edited by - Banjercat on 07/11/2022 18:44:05

Jul 11, 2022 - 8:13:50 PM
likes this

Bart Veerman

Canada

5241 posts since 1/5/2005

Banjercat did you file a sharp little point at the spike? If not, then spike snags as it's on its way down the hole and bending happens.

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jul 12, 2022 - 5:41:05 AM

90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Veerman

Banjercat did you file a sharp little point at the spike? If not, then spike snags as it's on its way down the hole and bending happens.


Bart. Actually I cut the point off and filed it flat as some video I saw recommend to prevent splitting,  don't think I'll do that again !!! Now that i think about it,  The Dotson video did show him cutting the spike at an acute angle.  Thanks for the tip. I've 3 more to do yet!

Jul 12, 2022 - 9:16:02 AM

90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

Success! Finished the banjo I started yesterday and put spikes in my Walnut Tradesman this morning. Wound up using spikes I found I already had as the new ones I got recently seem to bend really easily.

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement.  !!! Banjo hangout is really an awesome thing to be a part of!


Edited by - Banjercat on 07/12/2022 09:18:17

Jul 12, 2022 - 9:30:23 AM

90 posts since 3/7/2011
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Banjercat
quote:
Originally posted by Bart Veerman

Banjercat did you file a sharp little point at the spike? If not, then spike snags as it's on its way down the hole and bending happens.


Bart. Actually I cut the point off and filed it flat as some video I saw recommend to prevent splitting,  don't think I'll do that again !!! Now that i think about it,  The Dotson video did show him cutting the spike at an acute angle.  Thanks for the tip. I've 3 more to do yet!

PS; So sorry to hear you have retired from bridge making Bart! You make some darn fine ones! I love mine! I get it though. Enjoy yourself sir!!!

 


Jul 12, 2022 - 8:51:54 PM
likes this

Bart Veerman

Canada

5241 posts since 1/5/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Banjercat
quote:
Originally posted by Banjercat
quote:
Originally posted by Bart Veerman

Banjercat did you file a sharp little point at the spike? If not, then spike snags as it's on its way down the hole and bending happens.


Bart. Actually I cut the point off and filed it flat as some video I saw recommend to prevent splitting,  don't think I'll do that again !!! Now that i think about it,  The Dotson video did show him cutting the spike at an acute angle.  Thanks for the tip. I've 3 more to do yet!

PS; So sorry to hear you have retired from bridge making Bart! You make some darn fine ones! I love mine! I get it though. Enjoy yourself sir!!!

 


 


More time to spend with my granddaughter now smiley Thanks for the thumbs up for my bridges yes

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.171875