Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

599
Banjo Lovers Online


My Latest Make- Silver Belt Buckle and Belt Keeper

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jul 2, 2022 - 1:25:58 PM
like this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14742 posts since 5/24/2005

The Buckle started as a length of 2 gauge Sterling Silver wire. I beat the crap out of it with a dead blow hammer (that I reshaped head and polished). This got me rough shape, then some bending, more pounding, hammer textured, and final shaping. With 8 ga wire I Soldered in the bar with the tongue shaped and wrapped onto bar. The Keeper was fashioned from 19 ga silver sheet. One thing about forging, you can often fix your screw-ups along the way. I must of annealed 20 times on this project.
My belt is on order. Another time, I will tool my own belt, as I have all the stuff. We’ll see.
Brad


 

Jul 2, 2022 - 3:53:47 PM

13270 posts since 1/15/2005

Nice ! All you need now is an alligator strap!

Jul 2, 2022 - 4:48:30 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14742 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Nice ! All you need now is an alligator strap!


I shopped Etsy for alligator belt.  When the right one appears I will buy.  I wanted one in black.  And my size. 
brad

Jul 2, 2022 - 5:40:54 PM
likes this

STUD

USA

36094 posts since 3/5/2008

You havin too much fun... :0)

Jul 2, 2022 - 6:04:40 PM
like this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14742 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by STUD

You havin too much fun... :0)


Yep,  pounding the heck out of something with a dead blow hammer is fun. No pain in the hand!  Trouble is, silver work-hardens  so fast , you are always annealing. So I try to have a couple of things going, to work on one while the other is cooling and pickling.  
it's good therapy, eh.  Brad

Jul 2, 2022 - 6:27:35 PM

RonR

USA

1964 posts since 11/29/2012

Brad, did you ever make
banjo picks?

Jul 2, 2022 - 6:56:14 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14742 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by RonR

Brad, did you ever make
banjo picks?


Never did.  Being a claw hammer picker, never thought about it . But silver picks seems tone worthy?  

Jul 2, 2022 - 7:32:50 PM

RonR

USA

1964 posts since 11/29/2012

I wonder if it would be difficult to carve out a set from old silver spoons.

Jul 3, 2022 - 6:39:53 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14742 posts since 5/24/2005

Many silver spoons may be too thick. Some of early coin silver spoons are pretty thin though. Coin silver is a lower % silver than sterling or fine. That said thickness not a problem with me. I have a rolling mill. I would just need to flatten the spoon with a hammer, then roll it through to smash it flatter. Then cutouts with a jewelers saw is very doable, but with patience. Flatten a pick you like and trace onto paper, do the outline and cutouts on the paper. Then glue to your metal and saw away. Smooth. Then shape you picks over mandrel, or whatever you have lying around. And that good ol dremel is pretty handy. Picks would work harden with shaping/ bending .

Jul 3, 2022 - 6:57 AM

13270 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Nice ! All you need now is an alligator strap!


I shopped Etsy for alligator belt.  When the right one appears I will buy.  I wanted one in black.  And my size. 
brad


Brad .... my mother bought me an alligator strap and belt buckle with mt initials on it in 1964 for my high school graduation ....... $25 for the belt and $25 for the hand engraved buckle ...... a nice chunk of change in '64.  I still have both and wear it occasionally ....... still fit ..... but the belt is a little thinner than the ones that are in style now.  My son bought a custom alligator belt in Atlanta for his wedding where almost all of the professional tour golfers buy theirs.  Several years ago my wife gave me enough money to have a wallet made there so I chose my college colors ...... orange on the outside (gator) and purple ostrich leather on the inside.  

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jul 3, 2022 - 8:21:23 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14742 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Nice ! All you need now is an alligator strap!


I shopped Etsy for alligator belt.  When the right one appears I will buy.  I wanted one in black.  And my size. 
brad


Brad .... my mother bought me an alligator strap and belt buckle with mt initials on it in 1964 for my high school graduation ....... $25 for the belt and $25 for the hand engraved buckle ...... a nice chunk of change in '64.  I still have both and wear it occasionally ....... still fit ..... but the belt is a little thinner than the ones that are in style now.  My son bought a custom alligator belt in Atlanta for his wedding where almost all of the professional tour golfers buy theirs.  Several years ago my wife gave me enough money to have a wallet made there so I chose my college colors ...... orange on the outside (gator) and purple ostrich leather on the inside.  


I reviewed alligator belts again on Etsy.  There are many.  Plenty in black.  There is a big variety in what part of the skin they are from, and with a belly like mine. There seems to be pattern change along belt length.  Not sure what I would lije on that.  
I will never reach high school waistline. But I am 4" closer, than the first of the year. 
brad

Jul 3, 2022 - 11:05:20 AM

13270 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Nice ! All you need now is an alligator strap!


I shopped Etsy for alligator belt.  When the right one appears I will buy.  I wanted one in black.  And my size. 
brad


Brad .... my mother bought me an alligator strap and belt buckle with mt initials on it in 1964 for my high school graduation ....... $25 for the belt and $25 for the hand engraved buckle ...... a nice chunk of change in '64.  I still have both and wear it occasionally ....... still fit ..... but the belt is a little thinner than the ones that are in style now.  My son bought a custom alligator belt in Atlanta for his wedding where almost all of the professional tour golfers buy theirs.  Several years ago my wife gave me enough money to have a wallet made there so I chose my college colors ...... orange on the outside (gator) and purple ostrich leather on the inside.  


I reviewed alligator belts again on Etsy.  There are many.  Plenty in black.  There is a big variety in what part of the skin they are from, and with a belly like mine. There seems to be pattern change along belt length.  Not sure what I would lije on that.  
I will never reach high school waistline. But I am 4" closer, than the first of the year. 
brad


Keep working on that waistline Brad .  The less you consume the less that alligator strap will cost!

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.203125