Banjo Lovers Online

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

May 25, 2022 - 9:24 AM
likes this

Buddur

USA

3298 posts since 10/23/2004

I have a bunch of CDs and unfortunately many are deteriorating from the inside out and will skip and not play the further you listen to the disk.

So much for being told CDs will last forever. NOT!!!!

May 25, 2022 - 8:39:22 PM
likes this

Paul R

Canada

15996 posts since 1/28/2010
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by 1935tb-11

and another huge lost art is the physical art of having to go out to the local record store or drug store or shopping center and purchase a record,,which makes the sales of records and albums in the 60s and 70s even more remarkable.

The art of going down the row of bins, flipping through all the LPs in the hopes of finding a hidden gem, or of heading to the store because you know the latest album by your favourite band has just been released.

I'd had my motorbike totalled and had been on crutches, but I still headed downtown in Montreal, knowing that Sergeant Pepper was just out that day.

May 25, 2022 - 9:21:30 PM
likes this

2968 posts since 12/31/2005

Little hint on looking for bluegrass CDs in bins of disks. The color bars on the spine of Rounder CDs are unique. You can pick out a Rounder disk from feet away. If you see them, you are likely looking at a lot that includes bluegrass CDs.

May 26, 2022 - 8:48:53 AM
likes this

8004 posts since 9/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Bradskey

Most music stores had already evaporated a decade ago or more. I heard the iconic Ernest Tubb Record Shop will close now also. I still try to support County Sales sometimes.

anytime we are near floyd we stop in there,,,just don't be in a hurry,,way too much to see and it takes time to go through and find all the cool stuff from years ago.

May 29, 2022 - 8:07:22 AM
like this

3981 posts since 9/9/2010

I still like listening to albums with the songs in the order that they were intended. It's getting harder to do this though. We have a 2007 Prius with a six disk changer. Any newer car we have gotten doesn't have a CD player at all. Now, it's either Sirius and we listen to Bluegrass Junction or a country station, or I can tell the car, "play Judas Priest," or whatever else and it will play something related. Things change. I miss listening to entire albums. You can make them mp3s and load those on some kind of drive and plug that into the car or load it to a phone and use Bluetooth, but I haven't been that motivated. I used to be until we had thousands of songs on a laptop and then the laptop got a virus and everything disappeared. You needed to break the CD, now it can just vanish. I'm not exactly one with technology.

May 30, 2022 - 11:12:02 AM
likes this

328 posts since 5/25/2015

Jun 2, 2022 - 8:49:03 AM

1064 posts since 10/5/2008

I agree that the future of music, for the foreseeable future, is vinyl and streaming. I am a fairly young buck, 37, and I am very into collecting vinyl. I also have a subscription to Spotify. I do still have CDs, but my car is the only way I have to play them. There are lots of vintage albums that are only available on vinyl. Other than that, you can find pretty much anything on a streaming service. Where I live there are at least 5 independent record stores that are all doing very well. Some of them have a large online presence and ship records all over the world, but the biggest record store does not do this and only sells at the store itself. I think younger people appreciate the physical nature of a vinyl record, and the ease of streaming. One good thing for me is that nobody seems to want old country/bluegrass vinyl, so they're relatively cheap! My 15 year old daughter is also into buying/collecting vinyl, so I'm doing my part! I like to have physical copies of things because you never know when the streaming services will change their licenses agreements and the artists/songs you like will no longer be available. We started buying DVDs for this very reason.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories