Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

852
Banjo Lovers Online


Dec 8, 2021 - 6:54:16 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

Every once in a while i find myself reviewing the differences between all these yummy goo's in jars. So, I thought I would share a description with your from "Farmer Tad." brad
......................................................
Farmer Tad often gets asked "What's the difference between all of these fruits in a jar? What works well on toast? What would I like best?"

Jelly: Jelly is made with strained fruit juice. There are no pieces of fruit in jelly.

Jam: Jam is made with mashed fruit.

Preserves: Preserves have whole fruit or large pieces of fruit. Some fruits such as blackberries or raspberries will not stay whole during the processing so there may not be much difference between raspberry jam and raspberry preserve.

Fruit spreads (only fruit): These are 100% fruit with no sugar added. If needed, a sweet fruit juice such as white grape juice or apple juice may be added. Because of the sugar in the fruit we cannot call these products sugarless. These spreads offer the most amount of pure fruit flavor.

Butters: Butters are made from pureed fruit. They are not as sweet as preserves, jams, or jellies but offer a full fruit flavor. Butters are cooked for over 6 hours ,at a low temperature, allowing the product to thicken. Butters tend to be dark because of the exposure to air during the cooking. These are also available with no sugar added.

Dec 8, 2021 - 7:57:46 PM

Brian T

Canada

19014 posts since 6/5/2008

Excellent definitions. I don't know what made fruit "butters" popular.
Mucky and over cooked. I need to see even chunks of the fruit that might be in the jar.

Backing off on the sugar to 1/2 or 1/3, the fruit has an outstanding taste.
It isn't overwhelmed by sugar. That's not what I'm after. Jam. Fruit.

I've been making marmalade, lime citrus marmalade as a matter of fact.
2 dozen big limes and I am in business! Even the chore of slicing is worthwhile.
There's a sweet & sour aromatic note to it that sure does go well on a buckwheat pancake.

I'd like to make kumquat marmalade but the crop is nonexistent any more.

Dec 9, 2021 - 5:28:24 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Brian T

Excellent definitions. I don't know what made fruit "butters" popular.
Mucky and over cooked. I need to see even chunks of the fruit that might be in the jar.

Backing off on the sugar to 1/2 or 1/3, the fruit has an outstanding taste.
It isn't overwhelmed by sugar. That's not what I'm after. Jam. Fruit.

I've been making marmalade, lime citrus marmalade as a matter of fact.
2 dozen big limes and I am in business! Even the chore of slicing is worthwhile.
There's a sweet & sour aromatic note to it that sure does go well on a buckwheat pancake.

I'd like to make kumquat marmalade but the crop is nonexistent any more.


Whaaattttt! No kumquats! ;-)   BTW, What is a kumquat?   Brad

Dec 9, 2021 - 10:15:28 AM

Brian T

Canada

19014 posts since 6/5/2008

Kumquat are little thimble-sized orange citrus fruit. Oddly, you eat the peels. The fleshy cores are one of the most sour acid foods that I have ever tasted in my life. The peels are sweet, a little like the easily-peeled Mandarin oranges that we see in the store in late December.

My grandmother used to take us kids into Chinatown in Vancouver to buy Kumquat and Lychee. Might have been Longan but I still have trouble telling them apart. Great way to shut us up on the long bus ride home.

I don't ever even see Prickly Pear fruit in the store in December any more. They make tasteless jam. Fresh is best.

Dec 9, 2021 - 11:35:06 AM

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

11804 posts since 2/22/2007

All you need to remember is that it's  "jam up and jelly tight".     Tommy Roe told you about it in 1969

Dec 9, 2021 - 12:36:07 PM
like this

3924 posts since 4/29/2012

Or, as Glen Miller sang, "It must be jelly cos jam don't shake like thaat"

Dec 9, 2021 - 2:20:51 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

I am having some strange thoughtsand images about those above comments. Comes with sleep deprivation! On another 24/7 job in the "remotes." Brad

Dec 10, 2021 - 9:15:41 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

I am making Christmas turnover cookies. So I have been considering various jams etc for fillings. Going for red and green and a yellow/orange fillings. The green has been the tough one because I do not want to use pepper or mint jelllies. I ordered a jar of "Wilkin and Sons" Green Gooseberry Conserve, a British stuff. If its not green enough, I will experiment by adding a bit green food coloring to brighten it up a bit.
Brad

Dec 10, 2021 - 9:50:08 AM

Brian T

Canada

19014 posts since 6/5/2008

You ought to be able to find green candied cherries in the baking supplies section of your grocery store. I have this minute just killed off 2 slices of fruit cake, loaded with candied fruit and the green cherries were in there! $12.00/brick from a village artisan baker.

My lime marmalade has the right taste but the color is pale, even when doped up with a drop of blue food coloring (tends to cook a bit yellow.)

Dec 10, 2021 - 2:19:03 PM

dat

USA

31748 posts since 7/26/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Brian T

Kumquat are little thimble-sized orange citrus fruit. Oddly, you eat the peels. The fleshy cores are one of the most sour acid foods that I have ever tasted in my life. The peels are sweet, a little like the easily-peeled Mandarin oranges that we see in the store in late December.

My grandmother used to take us kids into Chinatown in Vancouver to buy Kumquat and Lychee. Might have been Longan but I still have trouble telling them apart. Great way to shut us up on the long bus ride home.

I don't ever even see Prickly Pear fruit in the store in December any more. They make tasteless jam. Fresh is best.


My aunt had a kymquat tree? Bush? Those were good fresh picked, I bought some in the grocery store a while back and they were pretty bitter, not at all like I remember them tasting, she also had some satsuma trees, those were the best oranges ive ever eaten 

Edited by - dat on 12/10/2021 14:20:02

Dec 10, 2021 - 2:45:37 PM

Brian T

Canada

19014 posts since 6/5/2008

I have tried eating the fleshy middles in Kumquats. Each time reinforces the idea that I don't need to do it again, they are so sour.

Best oranges that I have ever eaten are Navels that come from Booth Ranch in California.

Dec 10, 2021 - 2:46:09 PM

slammer

USA

3480 posts since 12/30/2008
Online Now

I’ve tried just about every Jam, Jelly, Preserve and Fruit Butters, but I always come back to homemade Strawberry jam or homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. I guess it’s because that’s what I grew up with and was available in our area. Someone once gifted us a spicy pineapple jam or compote that was fricking amazing on roast pork and we stuffed some chicken thighs with it. Never got a recipe but it was fantastic and probably good on just about anything!!!
Slammer!!!

Dec 10, 2021 - 2:57:11 PM
likes this

Brian T

Canada

19014 posts since 6/5/2008

We had NOTHING on our breakfast table as a kid except smooth peanut butter and Empress Brand Strawberry or Raspberry jam. Somewhere along the way, Dad decided that orange marmalade was a legitimate contender.
I found the English Robertson's Lime marmalade quite by accident. Lovely stuff but went moldy very fast. Time for DIY.

Just about everybody knows that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes for anything and everything on the internet.

I make a little spread sheet with 10 columns. I transcribe 9 recipes that look attractive.
Column #10 is my "average" of the first nine. Buckwheat pancake mix, lime marmalade, all kinds of good stuff and, I get to claim it as my own.

Dec 10, 2021 - 4:05:59 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Brian T

We had NOTHING on our breakfast table as a kid except smooth peanut butter and Empress Brand Strawberry or Raspberry jam. Somewhere along the way, Dad decided that orange marmalade was a legitimate contender.
I found the English Robertson's Lime marmalade quite by accident. Lovely stuff but went moldy very fast. Time for DIY.

Just about everybody knows that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes for anything and everything on the internet.

I make a little spread sheet with 10 columns. I transcribe 9 recipes that look attractive.
Column #10 is my "average" of the first nine. Buckwheat pancake mix, lime marmalade, all kinds of good stuff and, I get to claim it as my own.


Interesting.  While I don't need 10 columns, I also will do that with several recipes of the same thing, then meld it into one that I will try.  My latest is in regard to the jelly interest.  I am making cookie size turnovers/empenadas filled with jam.  But, instead of flakey pie dough, I am using a cream cheese, butter, and flour dough.  even those have quit a bit of variety to them.  

Brad

Dec 10, 2021 - 5:57:38 PM
likes this

Brian T

Canada

19014 posts since 6/5/2008

My kids know better than to buy baking and send it for a gift. Not cost effective.
They also know that the local artisan bakers are very good at making what Grandpa wants.
Cookies, breads, jams, pies and cakes. It's a pleasure really. I know these people need the money and I'm happy to pay well for such quality effort. Beats the Hello out of anything store-bought.

Some stuff, I make for myself. I need to make 3 things:

1. Curried, roasted walnuts (not been into the city, out of pecans). 15 minutes.
2. Phyllo pastry logs of oatmeal/fine dice apple, grated butter, etc. 2 hrs?
3. A really big jar of very simple pickled eggs. 30 minutes.

I wish you all well with your seasonal cooking efforts. Some established family treats are essential.

Dec 10, 2021 - 7:16:04 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

15682 posts since 9/27/2007
Online Now

I've tried this twice. https://kirbiecravings.com/2-ingredient-no-bake-chocolate-cookies/

It's so good & simple. I just used Hershey's dark powder & real maple syrup.

Dec 11, 2021 - 3:03:31 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

34669 posts since 3/5/2008

Black berry hot pepper jam.....!

Liz's ...Black berry hot pepper jam...!


Just to die fer...! Good....!

Dec 11, 2021 - 4:48:37 AM

RonR

USA

1888 posts since 11/29/2012

A friend gave me some jalapeno jelly he made that was tasty. I was at the Amish market where they had dozens of jams, preserves and jellies, but no jalapeno.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.203125