Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

1204
Banjo Lovers Online


Dec 3, 2021 - 2:19:44 PM
likes this
1071 posts since 12/12/2005

Sad news. He was a great guy.

springhillfh.com/m/obituaries/.../Memories

Dec 3, 2021 - 3:41:07 PM

1675 posts since 1/28/2013

Hard to believe all 3 of them are gone.

Dec 4, 2021 - 7:55:47 AM

983 posts since 10/31/2007

This is so sad to hear.

Dec 4, 2021 - 9:31 AM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

61684 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

So sorry,, RIP Gary. Always liked his song “The Lowlands”. A big part in the Revue’s success too.

Dec 4, 2021 - 1:39:52 PM

chuckv97

Canada

61684 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

So sorry,, RIP Gary. Always liked his song “The Lowlands”. A big part in the Revue’s success too.


https://youtu.be/5nmmBV340jM


 

Dec 5, 2021 - 6:47:24 AM

2796 posts since 12/31/2005

Obit is up. Sad news. From reading some comments on FB, it sounds like it may have been a sudden thing. OBITUARY

Dec 5, 2021 - 2:52:22 PM

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by jan dupree

Hard to believe all 3 of them are gone.


Indeed, all five if you include Louise and youngest boy, Stevie.  RIP Scruggs family

Dec 5, 2021 - 3:00:14 PM
likes this

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006


Very sad news, indeed.

Gary was a great help to us during our research and writing of the Earl Scruggs biography. He helped us clarify a number of historical and factual data issues.

I was corresponding with Gary in late November about the new Scruggs songbook (not the original Earl Scruggs and the 5-String Banjo book, BTW) that came out this year. A great resource if you do not already have it.  He asked me to give my input on the songbook.

People are here one moment, and gone the next. Sheesh!

Edited by - Westvon on 12/05/2021 15:01:38

Dec 6, 2021 - 9:25:21 AM

2058 posts since 1/10/2004

Oh man, seriously? So sad.

Not to divert, but OMG we are losing a lot of people lately. :(

Dec 6, 2021 - 11:06:48 AM
like this

6407 posts since 10/13/2007

The song Earl wrote for him: Togary Mountain.

ken

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZHrKrU8xM

Edited by - From Greylock to Bean Blossom on 12/06/2021 11:07:38

Dec 6, 2021 - 1:52:01 PM
likes this

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Bradskey

Oh man, seriously? So sad.

Not to divert, but OMG we are losing a lot of people lately. :(


Indeed we are, sad.

Dec 6, 2021 - 2:05:16 PM

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

The song Earl wrote for him: Togary Mountain.

ken

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZHrKrU8xM

 


Actually, John McEuen wrote that song for Gary after Louis Scruggs told him that Gary was upset that his dad never wrote a song about him.  This is discussed the article just posted on bluegrasstoday.com regarding Gary's passing.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/gary-scruggs-passes/

Dec 6, 2021 - 2:38:42 PM

6407 posts since 10/13/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Westvon
quote:
Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

The song Earl wrote for him: Togary Mountain.

ken

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZHrKrU8xM

 


Actually, John McEuen wrote that song for Gary after Louis Scruggs told him that Gary was upset that his dad never wrote a song about him.  This is discussed the article just posted on bluegrasstoday.com regarding Gary's passing.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/gary-scruggs-passes/

 


Thank you for the correction David.

ken

Dec 7, 2021 - 12:15:41 AM

phb

Germany

3113 posts since 11/8/2010

Excuse my ignorance, I know Randy Lynn Rag but is there a Scruggs song/tune about Steven Scruggs?

Dec 7, 2021 - 6:31:34 AM

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by phb

Excuse my ignorance, I know Randy Lynn Rag but is there a Scruggs song/tune about Steven Scruggs?


 I am not aware of any song that Earl may have written about his son, Stevie.  As you may already know, Stevie Killed his wife and then turned the gun on himself on September 23, 1992.   I don't know that Earl ever Gave it a thought after this tragic event.

Edited by - Westvon on 12/07/2021 06:35:59

Dec 7, 2021 - 6:37:33 AM
likes this

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom
quote:
Originally posted by Westvon
quote:
Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

The song Earl wrote for him: Togary Mountain.

ken

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZHrKrU8xM

 


Actually, John McEuen wrote that song for Gary after Louis Scruggs told him that Gary was upset that his dad never wrote a song about him.  This is discussed the article just posted on bluegrasstoday.com regarding Gary's passing.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/gary-scruggs-passes/

 


Thank you for the correction David.

ken


Oh, no problem, I love the conversation about good folks.

Dec 7, 2021 - 7:04:38 AM

phb

Germany

3113 posts since 11/8/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Westvon
quote:
Originally posted by phb

Excuse my ignorance, I know Randy Lynn Rag but is there a Scruggs song/tune about Steven Scruggs?


 I am not aware of any song that Earl may have written about his son, Stevie.  As you may already know, Stevie Killed his wife and then turned the gun on himself on September 23, 1992.   I don't know that Earl ever Gave it a thought after this tragic event.


I knew about the tragic event but I didn't see why it would mean that Earl never wrote a tune for Stevie before that incident (or even after, I cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child in such a way). Gary being upset by the lack of a tune about him certainly was a story from his childhood, possibly when Stevie hadn't been born yet. I don't know how far apart Gary and Stevie were but I was under the impression that there was quite an age difference which is why it didn't seem likely that both of Gary's brother had been dedicated tunes but none to Gary. In any case, thank you for your answer to my question.

Dec 7, 2021 - 7:19:27 AM
likes this

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by phb
quote:
Originally posted by Westvon
quote:
Originally posted by phb

Excuse my ignorance, I know Randy Lynn Rag but is there a Scruggs song/tune about Steven Scruggs?


 I am not aware of any song that Earl may have written about his son, Stevie.  As you may already know, Stevie Killed his wife and then turned the gun on himself on September 23, 1992.   I don't know that Earl ever Gave it a thought after this tragic event.


I knew about the tragic event but I didn't see why it would mean that Earl never wrote a tune for Stevie before that incident (or even after, I cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child in such a way). Gary being upset by the lack of a tune about him certainly was a story from his childhood, possibly when Stevie hadn't been born yet. I don't know how far apart Gary and Stevie were but I was under the impression that there was quite an age difference which is why it didn't seem likely that both of Gary's brother had been dedicated tunes but none to Gary. In any case, thank you for your answer to my question.

 


 You make very good points about the fact that Earl could have written the song before Stevie ever died.  I had the honor of meeting Earl several times when he was still alive and while I never met Stevie, I did meet Gary and Randy and have had extensive discussions with Gary especially about his father's music. There were dynamics in the family that I am not free to talk about, nor would I ever just simply out of respect, but suffice to say that it appears that Randy may have simply connected more with his dad both musically and otherwise.  I do know that Earl dearly loved all his boys. I accept the narrative that Gary didn't connect with his father the way Randy connected with him.  Not a lack of love on Earl's part, just a common reality in the world of relationships.  

Just my opinion, of course.

Gary was born on May 18, 1949

Randy was born on August  3, 1953

Steve was born on February 8, 1958

Edited by - Westvon on 12/07/2021 07:29:35

Dec 7, 2021 - 7:44:28 AM

phb

Germany

3113 posts since 11/8/2010

"Randy Lynn Rag" was released in 1956, I think. I can see how a seven year old child would be hurt by that. As a father of three children I know how relationships differ which may be due to all sorts of influences from life outside the core family. I must admit that I was rather ignorant of Gary's great musicality. I didn't know about his many significant compositions until I read the comments and followed the links in this thread. What a musical family they were!

Dec 7, 2021 - 8:42:39 AM
likes this

Westvon

USA

3301 posts since 4/16/2006

quote:
Originally posted by phb

"Randy Lynn Rag" was released in 1956, I think. I can see how a seven year old child would be hurt by that. As a father of three children I know how relationships differ which may be due to all sorts of influences from life outside the core family. I must admit that I was rather ignorant of Gary's great musicality. I didn't know about his many significant compositions until I read the comments and followed the links in this thread. What a musical family they were!


 I totally agree with your analysis and comments.  Gary Scruggs was more like his mom when it came to administrative abilities. He was academically astute in the areas of history, philosophy, and overall editing abilities. He was precise in the way he wrote and articulated things to a T.  I enjoyed many conversations with him about philosophy since that is part of my own professional academic background as well.   In addition to all of that Gary was very successful in the music world as a musician and producer.  He just had a different temperament than Randy.  Randy was more like his dad and all of the relational things makes sense in light of that reality.  Again, only my opinion, nothing more.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.234375