USA

3043 posts since 9/5/2006

We vax, we jam.

Dec 3, 2021 - 12:06:35 PM
like this

LukeL

USA

121 posts since 9/14/2017

All the jams that I attended before last year have come back. There are not a lot but they are consistent. No goofy requirements- which is good because I wouldn’t go if there were. There are many events I’ll no longer attend.

Dec 3, 2021 - 12:19:51 PM
like this

YellowSkyBlueSun

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

612 posts since 5/11/2021

quote:
Originally posted by ipik5

When you get Covid from a vaccinated person and lose two friends that were vaccinated and watch someone you love that is vaccinated almost die from Covid and currently have a neighbor on a ventilator that is vaccinated…..I think my immune system after having Covid is better than yours with a shot…..but that’s just my opinion no need to hate me and yes I think vaccinated people spread Covid more than vaccinated people do! Blessings to all

This is a good point. There's a jam locally which mirrors the school district policy on vaccination, infection, and attendance. The rule is that if you're vaccinated, you can come, and if you're not, you can't. That applies even if you've recently tested positive for COVID. So at one local jam, COVID-negative people cannot attend unless they have a vaccine, but COVID-positive people can attend as long as they have the vaccine. So you've got vaccinated people that with an active COVID infection attending jams, telling unvaccinated people with no COVID infection that they can't attend because it's not safe. It makes no sense to me, so I just pretend I'm vaccinated and nobody says a word. 

Edited by - YellowSkyBlueSun on 12/03/2021 12:20:31

Dec 3, 2021 - 12:32:10 PM
like this

127 posts since 11/9/2021

quote:
Originally posted by ipik5
quote:
Originally posted by wrench13

Still a lot of jam sessions in the NYC/Long Island area, all but 1 are in bars. All require that you have been fully vaccinated. Being 67, quadruple heart bypass, 3 open heart surgeries and respiratorilly challenged, I had no issues getting vaccinated.

So here we go.......Do you think that the new normal is that everyone should have to show their medical records to attend a jam???

Here in NY,bars and restaurants can ask for and refuse service if the vacc card is not available.  I wouldn't want the karma of having to get a fake Vacc card on me.  Like getting a fake Handicap sticker.   But thats just me. Karma, she is a b****. 

Dec 3, 2021 - 12:44:22 PM
like this

4874 posts since 5/9/2007

Yellow ... Glad you are on an island.

ipik5 ... I hope you don't live and play in Birmingham, AL.

LukeL ... We have Goofy Requirements here in BHAM.

Edited by - mrphysics55 on 12/03/2021 12:48:30

Dec 3, 2021 - 12:48:07 PM
like this

696 posts since 11/21/2018

I'm trying (hard) to not be political in this response by keeping freedom of personal choice on your table. BUT..If you're using a fake vaccine card then you have ethical and moral issues and do not care about the possibility of infecting others. Just "man up" and be honest (in all things). I attended a jam after the last vaccinations and people were asked to just sit away from others a bit and be...you know....thoughtful and considerate.
At that point in time younger folks couldn't receive a vaccination so compromises (remember them???) were made that worked to the safety and enjoyment of all. So, yes, it can be done and will likely be done more in the future if things drag on and on.

I live where the lst super spreader event in the U.S. occurred, have lost friends and good acquaintances to this disease.
Whether or not you chose to get vaccinated yourself you DO NOT have the right to lie and put others at an unknown additional risk. Be honest and work within your own parameters without lying and deluding your fellow humans.

The jam I attended allowed for alll with some adjustments for additional safety and consideration so yes, it's possible to hold and attend them. Would I right now? No. But if others do then be honest. Once people catch you in a lie why would they ever trust or welcome you in the future?

Dec 3, 2021 - 12:49:01 PM
like this

4228 posts since 10/13/2005

Locally here in Ashland Or. we met all summer out in the park every Sunday and with winter we have moved to a barn with lots of ventilation and heaters. About a third of the musicians have stopped coming altogether. In the park we distanced and masks were optional. I stopped going to nearby jams where vaxes required. It gets a little tough here to separate science from politics but both Fauci and Walensky (CDC) say the vaxes don't stop transmission or catching Covid so a vax requirement doesn't make much sense. Best thing I can say is keep your immune system in good shape by eating/living right and good supplements and paying attention to your health situation and make good judgements as posted above. Best, all, banjered

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:00:58 PM
likes this

RG

USA

3123 posts since 8/7/2008

quote:
Originally posted by banjered

Locally here in Ashland Or. we met all summer out in the park every Sunday and with winter we have moved to a barn with lots of ventilation and heaters. About a third of the musicians have stopped coming altogether. In the park we distanced and masks were optional. I stopped going to nearby jams where vaxes required. It gets a little tough here to separate science from politics but both Fauci and Walensky (CDC) say the vaxes don't stop transmission or catching Covid so a vax requirement doesn't make much sense. Best thing I can say is keep your immune system in good shape by eating/living right and good supplements and paying attention to your health situation and make good judgements as posted above. Best, all, banjered

A very sensible and logical post about a hot button topic. Well stated.  The science doesn't get much simpler to understand than that, especially with the proposed zoonotic origin/transmission of the new omicron variant.  Covid is here to stay, it's a mitigative not a curative issue and always has been.  Logic and common sense usually suffices in situations like these.  Jam on!

Edited by - RG on 12/03/2021 13:07:54

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:06:51 PM
like this

1666 posts since 1/28/2013

Everything in Florida has been back to normal for the past 18 months.

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:21:28 PM
like this

quote:

Vaccine function is not strictly "binary". It is not just a matter of preventing infection vs not preventing infection to demonstrate the effectiveness of vaccination. 
Vaccine effectiveness, more importantly, is a matter of preventing severe disease or death. We are all aware of this. To say otherwise is yet another example of a straw man fallacy

Edited by - mrphysics55 on 12/03/2021 13:26:22

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:22:54 PM
like this

1661 posts since 5/19/2018

I was going to chime in, typed a bunch of things and then deleted.

Figured I would just put my footprint here before the lock out.

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:34:27 PM

64 posts since 3/15/2020

quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Conder

I was going to chime in, typed a bunch of things and then deleted.

Figured I would just put my footprint here before the lock out.

But why a lock out? I do not understand why we can not have a conversation that is very important and real to the future of jams and festivals going forward in a respectful manner! This topic needs to be duscussed without calling people names and hating people with a different opinion than yours!

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:43:28 PM

127 posts since 2/7/2020

I've been playing outside a lot lately. The winters are unseasonably warm due to global warming.

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:49:54 PM

64 posts since 3/15/2020

quote:
Originally posted by mrphysics55
quote:

Vaccine function is not strictly "binary". It is not just a matter of preventing infection vs not preventing infection to demonstrate the effectiveness of vaccination. 
Vaccine effectiveness, more importantly, is a matter of preventing severe disease or death. We are all aware of this. To say otherwise is yet another example of a straw man fallacy

I respctivly disagree.....i got the gift of covid from my wife who is vaccinated and she got it from a coworker who is vaccinated......i had never missed a day of work for 18 months and had been around hundreds of unvaccinated people before getting it from my wife.....she got severly sick and i have lost a 73 and 78 year old vaccinated friends from covid.....i have a 55 year old neighbor that was vaccinated and has had a flu shot and he is in ICU on a ventilator right now struggling to survive.......sorry but we are not being told all these stats as they should be telling us.......no one that is vaccinated should have to fear getting covid period but that is not the case......i am senior in age and now i am more scared to be around a vaccinated person than a non vaccinated person........that's just my opinion only and have facts to back up my opinion........to each his own because this is never going away anytime soon and nothing has proven yet to work! Look at Florida they are now leading the nation in the lowest per capita of infections with no covid rules! As adults it is up to us to do what is best for us not try to force or make others do as you do with your body!

Edited by - ipik5 on 12/03/2021 13:56:42

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:50:46 PM
like this

amsweet

USA

23 posts since 3/6/2021

To go back to the original question, I do not believe jams of any sort are things of the past. Old Time music has been around at least since the 1920s. This pandemic hasn't even been in the U.S. for 2 years. Old Time music will outlive this. All will be fine. We can all keep playing our banjos.

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:55:15 PM
like this

891 posts since 5/22/2021

DONT STOP THE HOEDOWNS AND THE BARN DANCES!

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Edited by - BeeEnvironment on 12/03/2021 13:55:37

Dec 3, 2021 - 1:59:27 PM
likes this

“DON’T PANIC!”
- Kevin Bacon character; Animal House.

Dec 3, 2021 - 2:03:48 PM
likes this

amsweet

USA

23 posts since 3/6/2021

quote:
Originally posted by mrphysics55

“DON’T PANIC!”
- Kevin Bacon character; Animal House.

ALL IS WELL!

Dec 3, 2021 - 2:07:12 PM
like this

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

26688 posts since 8/3/2003

Gee, not only are we talking about covid and getting political, we're degrading down to calling names.

I guess you guys just can't act adult and stay away from Covid, politics and name calling.

Locked.

Page:  First Page   1  2

New Topic  Topic Locked

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories