Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

1244
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Nov 30, 2021 - 7:05:36 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

22070 posts since 6/30/2015

So I'm having some problems with my doorbell, and looking at some documentation there was supposed to be a diode on the bell button. A few years ago I would have gone to Radio Shack, they would have helped me out, and it would have cost me under a dollar (I see diodes online for under 10 cents.) Now my ignorance of electronics far exceeds my knowledge. I understand that a diode is basically a one way path for electricity, allowing flow in one direction and total resistance in the other. That's it. I know resisters have colored bands on them to show the amount of resistance, and that they too have a direction to mount them. I hate the thought of buying a 10 cent diode and then paying $9+ for shipping, or buying 100 diodes when I only need one.

So, can anyone tell me anything about what size diode I might need, and where one would look for them locally? What kind of store?

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2021 - 7:15:18 AM
likes this

7407 posts since 9/5/2006

Nov 30, 2021 - 7:59:23 AM

4100 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by DC5

So I'm having some problems with my doorbell, and looking at some documentation there was supposed to be a diode on the bell button. A few years ago I would have gone to Radio Shack, they would have helped me out, and it would have cost me under a dollar (I see diodes online for under 10 cents.) Now my ignorance of electronics far exceeds my knowledge. I understand that a diode is basically a one way path for electricity, allowing flow in one direction and total resistance in the other. That's it. I know resisters have colored bands on them to show the amount of resistance, and that they too have a direction to mount them. I hate the thought of buying a 10 cent diode and then paying $9+ for shipping, or buying 100 diodes when I only need one.

So, can anyone tell me anything about what size diode I might need, and where one would look for them locally? What kind of store?

Thanks.


You did that on purpose didn't you - you little tinker!

Nov 30, 2021 - 8:30:44 AM
likes this

7407 posts since 9/5/2006

well i do miss radio shack

Nov 30, 2021 - 8:32:38 AM
likes this

dat

USA

31748 posts since 7/26/2006

So, since the shipping on a 10 cent part is as much as it is, could you just get a new door bell and be close to the same price? Most products now are about as inexpensive to replace as they are to repair

Nov 30, 2021 - 8:41:19 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

Still a few in our neck of the woods. There is one in Colby, Kansas.
When I am out there on jobs, I often stop in, for circuit board etching solution, other odd stuff-like a diode, or cell phone stuff...they also became the Verizon store in the area.

And yes, I do miss the old "healthy" Radio Shacks. How many of you bought your first computer at Radio Shack, and many other first purchases?
Brad

Nov 30, 2021 - 9:18:10 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

22070 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by dat

So, since the shipping on a 10 cent part is as much as it is, could you just get a new door bell and be close to the same price? Most products now are about as inexpensive to replace as they are to repair


I replaced the door bell button a couple of years ago, but did not notice the diode.  The doorbell itself was north of $60 so no, it is not cheaper to replace the whole thing.  The buttons themselves do not come with diodes. 

Nov 30, 2021 - 9:18:33 AM
like this

phb

Germany

3113 posts since 11/8/2010

quote:
Originally posted by DC5

So I'm having some problems with my doorbell, and looking at some documentation there was supposed to be a diode on the bell button. A few years ago I would have gone to Radio Shack, they would have helped me out, and it would have cost me under a dollar (I see diodes online for under 10 cents.) Now my ignorance of electronics far exceeds my knowledge. I understand that a diode is basically a one way path for electricity, allowing flow in one direction and total resistance in the other. That's it. I know resisters have colored bands on them to show the amount of resistance, and that they too have a direction to mount them. I hate the thought of buying a 10 cent diode and then paying $9+ for shipping, or buying 100 diodes when I only need one.

So, can anyone tell me anything about what size diode I might need, and where one would look for them locally? What kind of store?


So, the important thing about the right diode is that it can carry the current the door bell electronics are going to put through it without getting damaged. The diodes Terry linked seem pretty strong (400 Volts breakthrough voltage, 0.7 Watts power dissipation) and will certainly work fine. Resistors have no direction to mount them, they are bidirectional.

If you hate buying 9 diodes you have no use for, you could buy another 9 door bells.

Nov 30, 2021 - 10:48:40 AM

Bart Veerman

Canada

5096 posts since 1/5/2005

Door bell button are cheap in Home Dep, some dollar stores even carry them.
Yup, I miss RS too!

Nov 30, 2021 - 11:05:35 AM

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

11804 posts since 2/22/2007

Long ago I managed a Radio Shack. Remember that wall of diodes and transistors? We had to inventory the entire store every two months, and counting those little blister packs took the whole damn night! The profit margin on those parts was very high but the dollar amount was so low that it was not really worth it, even in the late 70s. The age of the electronic hobbyist had already passed.

Nov 30, 2021 - 12:28:40 PM

Brian T

Canada

19013 posts since 6/5/2008
Online Now

I still have my "protoboard" with several dedicated kinds of switches, IC sockets and even bipolar LED. Drive it with an old computer power supply for +/- 12VDC and +/-5VDC.

I was gifted a wireless doorbell system but I have never set it up.
My hearing is so poor that it might not make any difference.
The idea was that I would carry the RCVR in my pocket when expecting callers.
Guess I don't care any more.

Nov 30, 2021 - 1:16:44 PM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

22070 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Veerman

Door bell button are cheap in Home Dep, some dollar stores even carry them.
Yup, I miss RS too!


Yes, but they don't have diodes. Just to ring a bell you don't need one, but I have an electronic bell that plays tunes that I can change from holiday to holiday. 

Nov 30, 2021 - 2:02:32 PM

J e f f

USA

3741 posts since 12/16/2009

I have some diodes at work. I'll check and see if any of them match the specs of the diode that Terry mentioned. If any are the right kind, I can mail you one in an envelope. No charge.

Nov 30, 2021 - 3:29:48 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

15679 posts since 9/27/2007
Online Now

Im my hometown Radio Shack had a Tandy Leather store on one side. I made a bunch of stuff from kits there.

Moccasins, belts, wallets & stuff like that.  I used to buy crystal radio kits at R.S. too. 

Nov 30, 2021 - 3:42:49 PM
likes this

Brian T

Canada

19013 posts since 6/5/2008
Online Now

My first "crystal radio" was a Knight Kit. Even had a galena crystal in a gob of solder and a "cat's whisker" to find a sweet spot. I can still remember Dad helping me to wind the big coil.

The proto board with LED to show current direction ( yeah, I cooked a few) taught me a lot
about basics of electronics with parts that are big enough to pick up and look at.

What would the diode be needed for in the doorbell? Cut the bad & choppy power source, smooth it out a little?

Nov 30, 2021 - 3:44:32 PM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

22070 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by J e f f

I have some diodes at work. I'll check and see if any of them match the specs of the diode that Terry mentioned. If any are the right kind, I can mail you one in an envelope. No charge.


That would be awesome Jeff.

Nov 30, 2021 - 3:51:28 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

22070 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Brian T



What would the diode be needed for in the doorbell? Cut the bad & choppy power source, smooth it out a little?


My (very limited) understanding is that it smooths out the signal, and somehow makes it last longer?  Without the diode the chime does not play completely when the button is pressed.  If you hold the button, then it plays, but people do not hold doorbell buttons, they press and release.  

I built several RS kits, including a lie detector, but I never understood what any of the parts did, just followed the instructions and soldered each piece to the circuit board as instructed.  My cousin used to make his own circuit boards and build all kinds of things, including a simple chess playing computer for a science fair project, but I just didn't have the understanding to do that. 

Nov 30, 2021 - 4:08:27 PM
likes this

oly

USA

1472 posts since 5/27/2006

Try an avionics shop at your local airport. They usually carry all sorts of stuff. Not sure what kind of price you may have to pay. I too miss Radio Shack.

Nov 30, 2021 - 4:58:27 PM
like this

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

11804 posts since 2/22/2007

I got to meet and have lunch with Charles Tandy a few months before his death, and I admired a few things about the man. He was big on "do it yourself" and both Tandy leather and early Radio Shack were founded on the idea that there were customers who did in fact want to do it themselves. He built Radio Shack into a billion-dollar sales organization back when that number still meant something, and he provided for "his boys" as he called the store managers. Our compensation was linked to performance, and he made sure that we were educated in the factors that created profit or loss. It was a demanding job but I got an education out of it that was more valuable than my business degree. He offered employee investment plans which made it possible for managers to acquire a sizeable nest egg over the years, one of many things that changed for the worse shortly after he died and the vultures took over. They were already circling when I met him.

Nov 30, 2021 - 5:06:35 PM

bubbalouie

Canada

15679 posts since 9/27/2007
Online Now

That's cool Bill! I wasn't sure if it was just a Canadian thing. There's been other threads here that mentioned R.S. but I hadn't noticed anyone talking about the leather side.

I remember you could buy whole hides there.

Nov 30, 2021 - 10:36:59 PM
likes this

Ron C

USA

1500 posts since 3/17/2004

I, too, miss Radio Shack!

I used to haunt yard and estate sales when I was attending university in the mid-1960s and then, again, in the late 1960s (with a 2-year break in between). I couldn't afford new stereo/Hi-Fi equipment, so I would find an old Dynaco Amp, Pre-amp, or similar piece of equipment (often built as a kit, or sometimes a commercially built unit) that was "dead," and would pick it up for very little cash. Usually, it was the electrolytic power supply capacitors that leaked and other electrolytics were of poor quality. I'd go to Radio Shack mostly (and other electronic supply houses) and buy higher quality capacitors (polypropylene or mylar or other good capacitors) and replace the ones in the "expired" unit. Sometimes I'd replace the cheapo resisters with military spec resistors. A friend had an oscilloscope and the ability to use it. We would set the electronic equipment up to RIAA standards and I then had a fine piece of sound reproducing equipment.

Dec 1, 2021 - 5:40:02 AM

7407 posts since 9/5/2006

my hard wired door bell quit working many years ago,,i have never replaced it ,, i hear they got wireless ones now ,,, maybe its time..but then again nobody comes to see me anymore unless they want something.... maybe i will just leave it alone

Dec 1, 2021 - 6:22:50 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

10083 posts since 6/5/2011
Online Now

Wireless??   Hard-wired??   

Lots of [good?] selection/ideas here: https://www.google.com/search?q=brass+door+knocker&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ6O2F48L0AhU_TDABHYesAlkQ_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1600&bih=757&dpr=1 

and here: https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+door+knocker&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=3xaVskxTmbSeQM%252CdxvaJgNB61BELM%252C_%253BbMgD9ba8REWcxM%252CMtkZD_0DtBZjwM%252C_%253B8QGf6EfJMBoYOM%252CHfdN8_vS-llQjM%252C_%253B7xaweb99xP0l7M%252C6A11EgkMX4TKlM%252C_%253BO_939J8oxTwXHM%252CHfdN8_vS-llQjM%252C_%253BxCmBjzSzqhTaAM%252CYfawjOE8lSKkZM%252C_%253BwgLJzwo1s1SzrM%252CdxvaJgNB61BELM%252C_%253BTX22EUhU1D5mBM%252CrputUW7n0qm-hM%252C_%253BL6ncLYHWqc7anM%252CVOU1A4LIuw1ZIM%252C_%253B7pbsRyg9as1BIM%252CHfdN8_vS-llQjM%252C_%253Bj1yLvIVRFk2W_M%252Clr7pPa2znnxNTM%252C_%253BdH6FmbUmhwPCwM%252CXdFV46AxtXQcdM%252C_%253BlfL-I4gxGpT4dM%252CHfdN8_vS-llQjM%252C_%253BVzIoSrOsYJOtRM%252CduG_LIMQpZPuTM%252C_%253BSKc6EIV92kUsjM%252ClKPS4RiTc_EsIM%252C_%253B1F_gA_kwdX-5EM%252CdxvaJgNB61BELM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ5L_V4JHvj3y-tl2LAzlDkWR1TAg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo2daz4sL0AhWpAZ0JHetvCXAQ9QF6BAgDEAE&biw=1600&bih=757&dpr=1#imgrc=xCmBjzSzqhTaAM

I've tried [unsuccessfully] a couple of times via the yocal on-line garage sale site to finagle a used/scrap solenoid typpically foound in chimes of this ilk

 VINTAGE 1960'S MID Century Modern NuTone Doorbell Chimes Brady Bunch Style  - $173.24 | PicClick

....so I can "re-purpose" (?)  it to jack-up the shop thermostat from the house; going wireless is an option, but putterers gotta putter.    

[Terry, considering your question to Sherry, I dunno which thread my post belongs in.  cheeky ]

.... now back to regular programming..........

Edited by - Owen on 12/01/2021 06:28:33

Dec 1, 2021 - 7:05:21 AM
like this

J e f f

USA

3741 posts since 12/16/2009

quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:
Originally posted by J e f f

I have some diodes at work. I'll check and see if any of them match the specs of the diode that Terry mentioned. If any are the right kind, I can mail you one in an envelope. No charge.


That would be awesome Jeff.


I have 1N4007 diodes, which are rated at 1000V, 1A. It's similar to the diode Terry mentioned, just a higher voltage rating. It'll work for your application. The diode is used, but it was used only on solderless breadboards, so the leads have never been clipped and it has never been soldered in place. Private message me a shipping address and I mail it to you. I'll send you 2 each, in case you jack-up the first one. They'll be taped to a 3X5 card in an envelope.

Dec 1, 2021 - 8:19:42 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14247 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by J e f f
quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:
Originally posted by J e f f

I have some diodes at work. I'll check and see if any of them match the specs of the diode that Terry mentioned. If any are the right kind, I can mail you one in an envelope. No charge.


That would be awesome Jeff.


I have 1N4007 diodes, which are rated at 1000V, 1A. It's similar to the diode Terry mentioned, just a higher voltage rating. It'll work for your application. The diode is used, but it was used only on solderless breadboards, so the leads have never been clipped and it has never been soldered in place. Private message me a shipping address and I mail it to you. I'll send you 2 each, in case you jack-up the first one. They'll be taped to a 3X5 card in an envelope.


How cool is that!  Brad

Dec 1, 2021 - 9:42:22 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

22070 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb
quote:
Originally posted by J e f f
quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:
Originally posted by J e f f

I have some diodes at work. I'll check and see if any of them match the specs of the diode that Terry mentioned. If any are the right kind, I can mail you one in an envelope. No charge.


That would be awesome Jeff.


I have 1N4007 diodes, which are rated at 1000V, 1A. It's similar to the diode Terry mentioned, just a higher voltage rating. It'll work for your application. The diode is used, but it was used only on solderless breadboards, so the leads have never been clipped and it has never been soldered in place. Private message me a shipping address and I mail it to you. I'll send you 2 each, in case you jack-up the first one. They'll be taped to a 3X5 card in an envelope.


How cool is that!  Brad


very

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.25