Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

638
Banjo Lovers Online


Nov 28, 2021 - 7:07:55 PM
likes this
16 posts since 6/3/2013

I guess I’m WAY behind in the banjo/bluegrass world. What happened to AcuTab?

Nov 29, 2021 - 4:32:49 AM
likes this

BobbyE

USA

3003 posts since 11/29/2007

I think I remember John Lawless stating that he had to pull the plug on Acutab from an economic perspective. Their stuff was top-notch and I own several DVDs and printed books that they produced. A sign of the times I reckon.

Bobby

Nov 29, 2021 - 5:09:29 AM
likes this

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

26701 posts since 8/3/2003

You could go to Bluegrass Today and ask John Lawless and get the reason from him rather than a bunch of rumors, thoughts and ideas of why. bluegrasstoday.com

Nov 29, 2021 - 5:17:03 AM
likes this

120 posts since 3/10/2006

John told me several years back that MelBay now owns the rights to AcuTab. I’ve reached out to MelBay before, and they have no plans to republish the AcuTab material. If you are looking for specific AcuTab books and/or DVDs, I’ve had luck reaching out directly to the artist and asking if they have any available.

Nov 29, 2021 - 5:22:30 AM
likes this

2795 posts since 12/31/2005

You can see why it would be challenging. They were really well produced videos with top players. But just like the WorldBook or Britannica encyclopedia got many of us through our homework assignments when we were kids, things change.

Distance instruction really evolved over a short period from Mel Bay and Oak books to Homespun Tapes and then to video lessons on VHS and DVD from companies like Acutab. But now there is so much free stuff on YouTube and artists themselves produce lessons that can be offered on platforms like Patreon, cutting out the whole need for a production company. With some, like Tony Trischka and I think Noel Pikelny, you can even get interactive or feedback from submissions. Others, like Ned Luberecki, offer live lessons over Zoom.  Even when lessons are professionally shot and edited, like the TrueFire stuff, it is so much cheaper now with the software they have that puts it all together.

Would be really hard to compete with all of that by having a studio-produced video for sale. But Acutab was so important in getting many pickers going or to the next level.  That Power Picking DVD series will be passed around for many years.

Edited by - Brian Murphy on 11/29/2021 05:25:16

Nov 29, 2021 - 8:10:09 AM

16 posts since 6/3/2013

Thanks for the info. I had searched Google, here and Bluegrass Today for the info. I figured there would be mention of it somewhere.

Nov 29, 2021 - 8:38:52 AM

phb

Germany

3113 posts since 11/8/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Murphy

You can see why it would be challenging. They were really well produced videos with top players. But just like the WorldBook or Britannica encyclopedia got many of us through our homework assignments when we were kids, things change.

...

Would be really hard to compete with all of that by having a studio-produced video for sale.


Do they still sell the material they already had? Because in today's times it should be just as easy to set up a web shop with downloadable content.

Nov 29, 2021 - 1:40:36 PM

2795 posts since 12/31/2005

quote:
Originally posted by phb
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Murphy

You can see why it would be challenging. They were really well produced videos with top players. But just like the WorldBook or Britannica encyclopedia got many of us through our homework assignments when we were kids, things change.

...

Would be really hard to compete with all of that by having a studio-produced video for sale.


Do they still sell the material they already had? Because in today's times it should be just as easy to set up a web shop with downloadable content.

 


https://www.elderly.com/collections/acutab 

Nov 29, 2021 - 11:57:55 PM

phb

Germany

3113 posts since 11/8/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Murphy
quote:
Originally posted by phb
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Murphy

You can see why it would be challenging. They were really well produced videos with top players. But just like the WorldBook or Britannica encyclopedia got many of us through our homework assignments when we were kids, things change.

...

Would be really hard to compete with all of that by having a studio-produced video for sale.


Do they still sell the material they already had? Because in today's times it should be just as easy to set up a web shop with downloadable content.

 


https://www.elderly.com/collections/acutab 


=> no, they don't

Edited by - phb on 11/29/2021 23:58:16

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.15625