Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

630
Banjo Lovers Online


Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Oct 29, 2021 - 10:50:11 AM
likes this

1484 posts since 9/6/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy5

My Dad had a police .38 special double action revolver. The thing was very difficult to shoot a accurately with the tough trigger pull, the cylinder rotating , the thing shakes even with a two handed grip. I guess I could get used to something like that, the single action Colt seemed easier to aim and shoot. Next question? What about sights? Iron sights! Optic red dot!, Laser , fiber optic ? Does anybody practice shooting from the hip without sighting first? It’s quicker if not more accurate l


There are many options as far as sighting goes. I personally like Trijicon Night Sights. They are made with tritium and are self luminous. You can also get day-glo fiber optic sights that aren't too bad but they don't work well in no-light situations. There are laser options that you can get as well for each model. I like the grip laser. The laser is in the grip of the weapon so all you have to do is squeeze the hand grip and it activates the laser. I believe you can order and install each of these options yourself.

Oct 29, 2021 - 12:36:14 PM

Tommy5

USA

3974 posts since 2/22/2009

Wow, so many options available now. While I am waiting for my Foid card, I will try to talk some of my friends into taking me to the range to fire their weapons just to get a better idea of what I’m looking at. The wife insist our neighborhood is getting more dangerous, I’m not sure if that is true but the wife was against any firearms in the house while out daughter was little, now she is changing her mind. I’m still not convinced that being armed is safer then not being armed but I would like to have the option of being armed. The wife complains we don’t do enough stuff together ,so maybe target shooting is something we can have in common. I agree with everything that has been said about training, if I am not confident that I can handle the deadly responsibilities of being armed , I won’t leave the house packin.

Oct 29, 2021 - 2:29:55 PM
like this

616 posts since 1/28/2011

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy5

Wow, so many options available now. While I am waiting for my Foid card, I will try to talk some of my friends into taking me to the range to fire their weapons just to get a better idea of what I’m looking at. The wife insist our neighborhood is getting more dangerous, I’m not sure if that is true but the wife was against any firearms in the house while out daughter was little, now she is changing her mind. I’m still not convinced that being armed is safer then not being armed but I would like to have the option of being armed. The wife complains we don’t do enough stuff together ,so maybe target shooting is something we can have in common. I agree with everything that has been said about training, if I am not confident that I can handle the deadly responsibilities of being armed , I won’t leave the house packin.


It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Oct 29, 2021 - 3:03:58 PM
likes this

4098 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by latigo1
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy5

Wow, so many options available now. While I am waiting for my Foid card, I will try to talk some of my friends into taking me to the range to fire their weapons just to get a better idea of what I’m looking at. The wife insist our neighborhood is getting more dangerous, I’m not sure if that is true but the wife was against any firearms in the house while out daughter was little, now she is changing her mind. I’m still not convinced that being armed is safer then not being armed but I would like to have the option of being armed. The wife complains we don’t do enough stuff together ,so maybe target shooting is something we can have in common. I agree with everything that has been said about training, if I am not confident that I can handle the deadly responsibilities of being armed , I won’t leave the house packin.


It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.


I use a similar phrase Dave.... you're better looking at it than for it!

Oct 29, 2021 - 3:40:01 PM
likes this

12835 posts since 1/15/2005

I stopped by the gun shop (Palmetto Arms) while I was returning my three cable boxes (what a great feeling) after cutting the cable service this afternoon. I was mainly wanted to price some ammunition, but also wanted to look at some of the guns we have been talking about here in this thread. First off, handgun ammo (other than .22 rounds) for the handguns we are talking about was running from about $.75 to $1.50 a round. I think the cheapest I saw was labeled "practice' or "training" ammo (.45 cal.) and was $39 for 50 rounds (or close to that). I saw some 9MM ammo for $29 for 20 or 25 rounds .... can't remember.

They had a really nice selection of revolvers and automatics, but I have to say that I just do not like the design of many of the new ones ..... just too much going on. I like the more simpler designs of the Glocks and some of the older modern automatics. I almost think that some of the manufacturers have "over-thought" what most of these guns would be used for in a self defense situation .... if indeed that is what they are being bought for. Target shooting maybe .... but not self defense.
Of course maybe I am wrong, but just don't feel like I need a laser sight for the application that I would need the gun for.

Oct 29, 2021 - 5:40:34 PM

Tommy5

USA

3974 posts since 2/22/2009

I think people like laser sights for home defense at night. Nothing like a laser lighting up a forehead to discourage an intruder. Of course the racking sound of a pump shotgun serves a similar purpose. The wife is worried about the increase of car jacking in nearby neighborhoods. One of my wife’s friends had her car high jacked at gunpoint. Not sure about the best way to dissuade folks from doing this,. If your armed , can you shoot somebody driving away, if you try to shoot somebody from inside your car , you will be at quite a disadvantage trapped in your car, it is a problem with no easy answer.

Oct 29, 2021 - 6:21:42 PM
like this

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

11799 posts since 2/22/2007

No. You can never shoot anyone driving away, or walking away or running away. You many only shoot when and while your life is in actual danger. Any other shooting is criminal. You may not shoot to protect property, only to protect your life or the life of your family or of some innocent bystander in jeopardy. Please read Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" before you acquire a firearm, and then decide if you truly want to proceed. He does a very good job of separating the fantasies--that we all share to some extent--- from the grim reality. You don't want to ever, ever shoot anyone if there is any other option other than becoming a victim of violence.
But if that IS the case, then you shoot until the threat is neutralized. You are not "shooting to kill", you are shooting to live, and if you stick to that then you will have a decent chance to survive the criminal and financial and emotional consequences of shooting a human being.

Oct 29, 2021 - 6:31:14 PM

Tommy5

USA

3974 posts since 2/22/2009

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

No. You can never shoot anyone driving away, or walking away or running away. You many only shoot when and while your life is in actual danger. Any other shooting is criminal. You may not shoot to protect property, only to protect your life or the life of your family or of some innocent bystander in jeopardy. Please read Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" before you acquire a firearm, and then decide if you truly want to proceed. He does a very good job of separating the fantasies--that we all share to some extent--- from the grim reality. You don't want to ever, ever shoot anyone if there is any other option other than becoming a victim of violence.
But if that IS the case, then you shoot until the threat is neutralized. You are not "shooting to kill", you are shooting to live, and if you stick to that then you will have a decent chance to survive the criminal and financial and emotional consequences of shooting a human being.


Agreed, carrying a firearm is a grave responsibility, you have to research this stuff carefully, I am still weighing this stuff in my mind, thanks for your input.

Oct 30, 2021 - 3:24:01 PM
like this

dat

USA

31741 posts since 7/26/2006

Just my thoughts on sights, laser sights are nice, dot to dot shooting is what i call it, but you are relying on a battery to always be good, other electronics can go out too, fun to shoot with and can be very accurate, but also very good chance it doesn’t work, Trijicon is a great option for low light shooting, no battery and has good visibility, have had two and liked them, draw back on them is, how long are you going to use that firearm? I think the glow life is 10 to 15 years, sounds like a long time until you look back and think of a gun you’ve had for 30 years or so, or one that has been passed down from a relative and is 60 years or older, do you want to replace the sights? Or keep original? Saying that, the life of the glow could be longer, and they are great sights and even when the glow is gone they still are three dot sights. Many options out there, but go with something you don’t have to worry about breaking or a battery going dead, practice with basic iron sights then then you don’t rely on the exotic stuff that can let you down

Oct 30, 2021 - 9:27:36 PM

Tommy5

USA

3974 posts since 2/22/2009

Yes, Lots of new ways to sight in pistols, they still take an enormous amount of practice to shoot accurately and hit anything at anything other then point blank range , so many victims of gun violence were collateral damage , not targets just in the way,

Oct 31, 2021 - 3:28:23 AM
likes this

4098 posts since 4/22/2018

I think sometimes you can start overthinking stuff. I know I can’t speak from experience of concealed carry or personal self defence in a domestic setting but I have carried and used firearms in a military environment. I wouldn’t be worrying too much about what illuminated sights etc to get at this stage. Choosing the right gun, getting the correct training and becoming familiar inside out with how to use it from both a marksmanship and safety perspective would be my key points to,be considering at the stage you are at Tommy.

Oct 31, 2021 - 4:54:18 AM
likes this

4373 posts since 12/24/2003

Ammoseek.com is the best place to search online for the best, and current ammo prices. You can find remanufactured brass ammo for just over $15.00 for a box of 50. same goes for steel case ammo. Some folks don't like steel case ammo, but I've never had any issues with steel. You also have to search for the best shipping prices. If you can get a couple of 50 round boxes shipped for around $12.00, that's going to be your best shipping price right now. You just have to do some homework when you're shopping for guns and ammo. It's gotten a bit better today than it was a year ago.

Tim

Oct 31, 2021 - 1:39:35 PM
likes this

bill53

USA

424 posts since 3/26/2004

a woman in my town killed a man with a bb gun

Oct 31, 2021 - 1:51:12 PM
likes this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

1177 posts since 8/9/2019

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

No. You can never shoot anyone driving away, or walking away or running away. You many only shoot when and while your life is in actual danger. Any other shooting is criminal. You may not shoot to protect property, only to protect your life or the life of your family or of some innocent bystander in jeopardy. Please read Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" before you acquire a firearm, and then decide if you truly want to proceed. He does a very good job of separating the fantasies--that we all share to some extent--- from the grim reality. You don't want to ever, ever shoot anyone if there is any other option other than becoming a victim of violence.
But if that IS the case, then you shoot until the threat is neutralized. You are not "shooting to kill", you are shooting to live, and if you stick to that then you will have a decent chance to survive the criminal and financial and emotional consequences of shooting a human being.


In summary, when that round leaves the barrel, it will tell a story.

Better be the right story.

Ask yourself always.. does X situation warrant a death sentence for the person causing you X problem? 

Nov 6, 2021 - 6:44:33 AM
likes this

12835 posts since 1/15/2005

Nov 7, 2021 - 8:53:36 AM

7393 posts since 9/5/2006

Stand your ground laws like those in North Carolina, though, remove a person’s duty to retreat. In other words, a person threatened with violence does not have to try to get away before resorting to reasonable, even deadly force (which may be considered reasonable).

Important caveats to stand your ground laws exist. For example, responding with deadly force in response to a punch to the face might not be reasonable, even according to stand your ground law. Typically, the law uses a “blow-by-blow” approach to determine if a person has used a justifiable amount of force.

THE CASTLE DOCTRINE
Further, North Carolina is one of the few states to adopt the Castle Doctrine, which is a version of a stand your ground law. This restricts the terms in which a person can use deadly force to protect himself or herself. Under the Castle Doctrine, a home is a “castle,” so that means a person has the right to use deadly force to protect that castle from siege. If an intruder invades a person’s space, the property owner can legally use deadly force against him or her, with no legal obligation to back down. This right extends not only to a person’s home but also his or her vehicle and workplace under North Carolina law.

A SUMMARY OF NORTH CAROLINA SELF-DEFENSE LAWS
North Carolina’s self-defense laws fall under NCGS Sections 14-51.3. The most relevant sections include the following provisions:

North Carolina law entitles a person to the right of self-defense and the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any space he or she lawfully occupies.
A person can only use deadly force when he or she believes that the use of such force is vital to prevent imminent threat of serious injury or death to the self or another.
Under the Castle Doctrine, the use of justifiable deadly force only applies to the home, the workplace, or a vehicle, under threat of imminent danger.
Exceptions to the use of deadly force in self-defense exist, regarding the Castle Doctrine. The following people may have exclusion to those restrictions: police officers, landlords, and bail bonds professionals.
If a person retreats or stops a threatening behavior, using deadly force may be unjustified.
North Carolina’s self-defense laws may be difficult to understand, but every citizen should be familiar with them to understand their rights and responsibilities regarding use of deadly force. Contrary to popular opinion, the law does not allow anyone to use deadly force as self-defense without justification or within any area of his or her choosing. Certain self-defense laws only pertain to a person’s home, car, or workplace. Additionally, the use of deadly force must be reasonably justifiable, defined as an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm to the self or another.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.21875