Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Oct 24, 2021 - 6:01:58 AM
like this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

21993 posts since 6/30/2015

I once put on my time sheet that I spent 30 minutes filling out the time sheet.

Oct 26, 2021 - 10:39:52 AM

Omeboy

USA

3003 posts since 6/27/2013

When asked on a job survey what part of my job I found the most rewarding,I always wanted to write in two words---M Y    V A C A T I O N !!!

Edited by - Omeboy on 10/26/2021 10:40:13

Oct 26, 2021 - 4:07:44 PM

12835 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Ron C

m06 made a very poignant statement that I agree with: " The jobs I find most satisfying are those where my time and effort make a direct and tangible positive difference in regard to something people care about."

I spent 31 years at my last job before retiring. It was on the engineering faculty of a university. I loved it! There were tangible results based on feedback from my undergraduate and graduate students. I still get emails and calls from students that were in my classes or my research lab decades ago, offering thanks or requesting advice. On occasion, I go out to dinner with former students and we catch up or discuss the student's life decisions.

Oh, like any organization, there are dreadfully boring meetings to attend, impotent committees to belong to, administrators too full of their own power, envious colleagues if you win a teaching or research award, and assorted other distasteful individuals. But there are enough civil, gracious, kind, and cooperative people to make it all worthwhile.

Ron

The jobs I find most satisfying are those where my time and effort make a direct and tangible positive difference in regard to something people care about."

If that is the case, and I believe it is, then my job, I think, is the epitome of that.  I always work on projects where people care enough to spend a lot of money on them and their feedback after completion of the project is what makes it all worthwhile.  Ultimately, although my clients are happy with the end product, I too have to be pleased with my work.  I think I am harder to please than my clients.

Oct 26, 2021 - 4:20:58 PM

YellowSkyBlueSun

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

612 posts since 5/11/2021

I'm an Engineer. It's first and foremost about the $$$. Everything else is secondary to that. Why wouldn't it be? That's why we go to work. I currently work a soul sucking job, and I do not give a rats a$$ about the work I do at all, and I'm not friends with any of my coworkers, but they pay me handsomely so I do it. I'm hoarding wealth. Once my bank account is big enough, I will leave, and it'll take me about 5 seconds to forget about this career altogether.

The other factor is adequate time off and the ability to leave work at work. Gotta have time off. But mostly, you gotta have money.

Personally I never really understood the 'company loyalty' concept. Employees are just a way to generate profit, companies do not care one iota about who you are, your values, or your needs. They will drop you like dead weight as soon as it's profitable to do so. So why would you care about them?

If you've got high turnover: pay more. It's really that simple.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories