I read through several threads where folks have fashioned a resonator for their banjo and I'm planning a build for mine. I found an 11.5" wooden plate on eBay today and am going to use cork for the 4 spacers. I'll cut the cork in an L-shape so it seats firmly to the sides while creating the reso/pot gap. And for connecting to the coordinator rod, I thought instead of a screw type mount, I'd use Velcro. I'll route 2 slots a good distance apart from the center on each side of the plate so I can feed a length of Velcro through each and around the rod, and back out and then pull them taught and secure to strips of Velcro on the back of the resonator. It seems it should be able to hold it securely without adding much weight, and it'll go on and off quickly too. There won't be any metal sticking out the back and the Velcro will be secured to itself so as not to snag on clothing. My thinking is that I should be able to leave the tabs on the back long enough that it will give good support, and leave plenty of room to tilt the plate out a little to feed it around the rod. Takedown will be even easier.
The short brown lines I drew on the plate are the slots to feed the Velcro through, and the black lines will be the Velcro adhered to the back that the pieces will attach to after pulling taut.
What do you folks think? Any potential issues I may be missing?
Edited by - KevinV on 09/28/2021 14:25:46
Working simple is hard.
I am very impressed. I use magnets. I have suggested Velcro several times in these threads, but you are the first in about 15 years to actually do something this elegant.
I don't see any potential issues.
Come back and tell us what it sounds like
Way to go.
Thanks, Larry. I got the cork idea from ekistl, he posted a good shot of his project.
The eBay seller sent a shipping notification on the plate so it should go out today and be here by the weekend, it's coming from in state. I've already got the wine corks and Velcro on hand. I've got a roll of very sturdy Velcro that I use for mounting pedals to a pedalboard; it should be plenty strong for this project. I'll post pics and my take on it when I get it completed.
What gap will you use?
I read 3/8" in another thread so I'll try that. Does that seem about right?
The wooden plate arrived today and I got a good start on the project. I used Aldi's Winking Owl corks which are not real cork, but a synthetic material. It's a bit firmer than real cork and I wanted to be able to create outward pressure that wouldn't collapse over time. I attached the corks with contact cement. So far it's holding firm without adding the Velcro/co-rod attachment. The total weight of the resonator is 14.05 ounces. I haven't put a finish on it yet so that'll add a little more weight, but it'll be a thin coat so nothing outrageous.
The plate stays on very well and hasn't slipped yet. And once in playing position, it's not going anywhere. I'm going to see if it continues to holds strong without having to add the Velcro.
It makes quite a difference, more projection and a brighter tone. I can easily hear the difference and so can my wife from across the room. I'm quite happy with it.
that is actually looking pretty nice
It's ready for some artwork, who does that in your household?
I'm no artist, but I can trace. My wife does a lot of crafting and said she can make something on her Cricut machine that we can transfer to the banjo and after tracing it use the wood burner for the final form. Nothing decided yet, but that's an option. I suppose we could do the same type of transfer and then paint it in before covering with some lacquer. I'm thinking some kind of vine/floral pattern.
I cant believe how close that wooden plate matches your Goodtime banjo it almost looks like it was made for what you repurposed it to be.
some vines with humming birds would look fantastic in my opinion two vines crossing each other would look great also
i also am no artist but the imagination is limitless
'Nechville Phantom' 9 hrs