Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Sep 16, 2021 - 2:38:30 PM

92 posts since 1/17/2019

We have a house with a 200’ well by the mountains. Great water.

We also have a house next to the bay that has a 40’ bored well..with two filters...great water....however my neighbor is 200 yards away and has a 700’ drilled well with gawd awful water...enough sodium that the highway dept could spread it to melt ice. Clogs his faucets etc..he will be putting in a $20k reverse osmosis system.

I don’t use copper pipes...pex is good stuff.

With wells it is almost the luck of the draw (or drill) but I prefer it to municipal water.

Sep 16, 2021 - 3:09:27 PM

75136 posts since 5/9/2007

A friend of mine had a good dowser locate a drill spot for him where he claimed 150 feet for 8 gpm.He said that part of "Flat Ledge Hill" was real tough to get a good well down,but when the rig showed up on Drillday the guy said he'd rather have the well nearer the house and picked a new spot.He wasn't a dowser.
The well driller knew the reputation of the dowser and his perfect record for stating depth and gallons per minute.He advised the homeowner not to change the location,but he held firm and the drill went nearer the house and down 320 feet for 1.5 gpm.

Sep 16, 2021 - 4:49:26 PM

Banjo Lefty

Canada

2395 posts since 6/19/2014

No filters here. Winnipeg water comes from Shoal Lake, part of the Lake of the Woods system and is generally clean and sweet right from the tap. Some of the city water mains are old, however, and are in the process of being replaced, a little at a time. Once a year the city will flush the lines and then we might get two days of brown water which will clear in an hour or so if you leave the taps open.

Sep 17, 2021 - 5:12:20 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

21157 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by steve davis

A friend of mine had a good dowser locate a drill spot for him where he claimed 150 feet for 8 gpm.He said that part of "Flat Ledge Hill" was real tough to get a good well down,but when the rig showed up on Drillday the guy said he'd rather have the well nearer the house and picked a new spot.He wasn't a dowser.
The well driller knew the reputation of the dowser and his perfect record for stating depth and gallons per minute.He advised the homeowner not to change the location,but he held firm and the drill went nearer the house and down 320 feet for 1.5 gpm.

Hmm, that dowser should have gone for the James Randi million dollar prize. 

Sep 17, 2021 - 6:56:07 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

14103 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:

When I am a fully retired geologist, and willing to give the finger, I will discuss more on dowsing.  For a while we had a serious dowser that participated Off Topic.   Brad

Sep 17, 2021 - 7:11:31 AM

Owen

Canada

9790 posts since 6/5/2011

Dave: "Hmm, that dowser should have gone for the James Randi million dollar prize."

Too bad the water/sewer crew I worked for in Winnipeg 'way back weren't aware.  They had a couple of bicycle spokes bent into an "L" shape.  About half of the small crew had fairly consistent success (?) using them to locate buried water lines. 1/2 a million split 2 or 3 ways.... in the mid-to-late 60s... hhmmmm...???  Having said that, we still [always] deferred to the location provided by the city's locating service.   I think we respectfully just tossed/stored 'em behind the backseat of the 1/2 ton until once in a  while somebody decided to "give it a try."

Sep 17, 2021 - 8:17:52 AM

3999 posts since 4/22/2018

Our water is very good straight from the tap. We have an inline filter on the water supply to the fridge but that's a standard fitting to ensure the fridges don't fur up. Our water also has a perfect profile for brewing beer - so all I do before making a batch is pour it a day or two before to let the chlorine dissapate.

Some when a friend with a spring fed supply asked if they could fill a bowser or two from our supply during a dry spell, I looked up the price of water as I genuinely didn't know. We pay £1.40 for 1000 litres via the tap, yet people will happily pay the same amount for 1 litre of bottled water from the store - beggars belief!

Sep 17, 2021 - 9:05:34 AM
like this

1369 posts since 9/6/2019

I agree with Popcorn:

Sep 17, 2021 - 9:07:08 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Dave: "Hmm, that dowser should have gone for the James Randi million dollar prize."

Too bad the water/sewer crew I worked for in Winnipeg 'way back weren't aware.  They had a couple of bicycle spokes bent into an "L" shape.  About half of the small crew had fairly consistent success (?) using them to locate buried water lines. 1/2 a million split 2 or 3 ways.... in the mid-to-late 60s... hhmmmm...???  Having said that, we still [always] deferred to the location provided by the city's locating service.   I think we respectfully just tossed/stored 'em behind the backseat of the 1/2 ton until once in a  while somebody decided to "give it a try."

Not sure exactly when the prize went to a million, but I believe in the late 60s it was $10,000.  There are sites that claim that Randi proved it did work in 1980, Randi has NEVER claimed that dowsing worked at any time.  The supposed 1980 test, from what I can gather, was done in Australia and was a very involved test divining water, brass, and gold.  There were several dowsers and over 100 tests.  All the dowsers claimed success rates of 80%-100%.  Random guessing would have been around 10% correct, the actual dowsing test results were 12% correct, well within the margin of error, and no where near the 80-100% that the dowsers claimed their success rate would be.  Here is a link to a video of that test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-0FEqAkQM

Sep 17, 2021 - 10:21:55 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

I may need to explain my “give the finger” expression . This was not directed to any of you or dowsers. I was only my smart ass cynical way of saying bye bye to my profession when I retire as a consulting geologist. I blame it on sleep deprivation inherent in my job. Brad

Sep 17, 2021 - 11:50:12 AM

77 posts since 1/28/2017

We use well water that comes from a aquafer or under ground lake? Any way it is very mineral laden. We have what would be called a a reverse osmosis system (media tank), couple $1000 for it. Our water is very drink able and recycle every 4 days. It will leave some red at times hard to keep tubs and basins sparkling but some how my manages. I a had a young lady at Menards tell me she use to live in our area and never had any thing white till she moved. It's safe clear and good as long as you use the system.

Sep 17, 2021 - 2:52:40 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

quote:
Originally posted by cobra1

We use well water that comes from a aquafer or under ground lake? Any way it is very mineral laden. We have what would be called a a reverse osmosis system (media tank), couple $1000 for it. Our water is very drink able and recycle every 4 days. It will leave some red at times hard to keep tubs and basins sparkling but some how my manages. I a had a young lady at Menards tell me she use to live in our area and never had any thing white till she moved. It's safe clear and good as long as you use the system.

Just about all aquifers we draw water from are sand/aggregate layers, with enough porosity and permeability to flow sufficient amount of water through them into wellbore for lifting.  Rare is the flooded cavern for a useful water supply.   Same with oil deposits.  Scary how we flow oil through limestones, sandstone, etc  into a wellbore. Sometimes they have to be fracked to get it through the rock. Especially shale.  I shall not mention that evil word again. ;-) brad

Sep 18, 2021 - 6:31:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:

The homeowner should have listened to that dowser who had a perfect record for good drinking water for hundreds of wells drilled around here including dozens of fine drinking water wells on Hupper's Island which he bought from my aunt and uncle in the 40s.

One day Dad and I were visiting Gerry Boehner (known locally as "Beanuh") on Hupper's while we were waiting for the tide to rise after we had replaced a plank on Dad's dragger tied up at Gerry's main wharf.

We played a game of cribbage and still had an hour to wait for flotation when Gerry said,"Chet,go hide your watch in the field (out behind the old farmhouse) while me and Steve sit here at the kitchen table." No windows to out back from the kitchen.

Dad came back a couple of minutes later saying "I hid my watch,Gerry."

Gerry asked me to get the map off the top of the fridge and spread it on the table.I did so and Gerry chose his current "stick" saying "You can use copper,branches or even a coat hanger.This is a piece of alder (in the shape of a "Y".

He dowsed the map on the table,got a signal off the map and put a penciled X on the map and said "I'll be right back with your watch" and walked out the back door to return in less than 1 minute with Dad's watch in his hand.

Gerry dowsed 2 wells for me and usually called out the depth and gpm to finish his work.He preferred to locate a drilled well where 2 aquifers crossed paths.When he dowsed my wells he told me to grab a armful of cedar shingles,follow him as he dowsed and throw down a shingle when he nodded his head.

We ended up with 2 lines of shingles making an X on the front lawn.He asked the stick how deep and how much.When he asked for the depth he started at 60 feet (no reaction from the stick) and asked for numbers 10 feet at a time.When he got to 100 feet the stick pointed down and he said "I can't stop it from doing that."

He then asked for the gpm and started at 4 with no reaction.He called each gallon until he said,"10 gallons a minute?" and the stick pointed straight down (over the intersection point of the 2 "streams".

As always the drill operator got to 100 feet and measured 10 gallons per minute.Gerry Boehner  did that perfectly from 1941 to his death in the 90s.

Edited by - steve davis on 09/18/2021 06:44:15

Sep 18, 2021 - 10:09:49 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

Steve, I do not doubt a single word you say. I'm just saying that in testing hundreds of dowsers, James Randi never found a single one that could do better than random chance, and he offered a million dollars to anyone that could substantially do better than that in a double blind test that both he, and the dowser agreed on. If your guy could do what you say, then he could have won the million dollars.

I'm a trained magician, I can give you several possible ways that your dowser found the watch on the map. I would have been much more impressed if he went out alone, without looking at the map first, and found the watch in less time than it would take to walk the entire property. The Amazing Kreskin had the person who hired him hide the check for his performance somewhere in the auditorium before Kreskin even arrived, and if he could not find it he would not be paid. He never failed to find the hidden check, usually within 2 minutes. This was always his last trick. Kreskin had no psychic or extra-ordinary abilities.

BTW, I believe that your dowser absolutely believed in his abilities, and he did not know how he was finding the watch. Much in the same way that all participants swear they are not pushing the shuttle on the Ouija board.

In your first story, the only to know for certain, would have been to drill two wells. The one the home owner picked, and one where the dowser said to drill.

BTW, I tried dowsing once, after being shown how by the dowser looking for a location to drill a well at a summer stock theater I worked at in Fitchburg. He was having difficulty, and asked if anyone else had ever done any dowsing. No one did, so he asked for volunteers. I, of course, was fascinated, so I volunteered along with another fellow. As I walked the field I swear I felt the tip of the willow stick being tugged, like a fish on the end of a fishing pole. Then the stick bent toward the ground in one spot, and sprang up after I passed that point. I would swear that it was the stick being pulled, and it was right over the spot where the dowser thought there was water, but it was very deep, so it was cost prohibitive to drill a well there. It wasn't until years later, when I studied the ideomotor response, that I realized that actually I was controlling the stick.

Sep 18, 2021 - 11:00:24 AM

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

11688 posts since 2/22/2007
Online Now

I do not believe in any supernatural abilities but I do believe that there are forms of intuitive knowledge that has proven beneficial to the survival of our species. Finding water and discovering medicinal plants and their uses are among them, I do believe. Just because something is not understood does not mean that it does not exist.

Sep 18, 2021 - 4:43:36 PM

On Marshall Point that juts a mile into the ocean Gerry warned other dowsers of getting false signals from salt water veins.
When builders tried other dowsers they often got a salt water well.When Gerry Boehner dowsed Marshall Point wells he got fresh water (along with the 72 wells he dowsed on Hupper's Island.
We only know the evidence laid out by his expertise.He also said anybody can do it,but I haven't spent any time trying.
I only believe what has been proven for many decades and generations of local builders and homeowners I've known all my life (because I never moved away for long.)

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories