Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

915
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Sep 2, 2021 - 11:21:18 PM
7157 posts since 2/14/2006

Or are there really no stupid questions??

Ok, next...

Sep 3, 2021 - 1:11:26 AM
likes this

Bill Rogers (Moderator)

USA

25222 posts since 6/25/2005

Rhetorical ones and redundant ones--but I think no really stupid ones.

Sep 3, 2021 - 2:22:09 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

OM45GE

USA

109382 posts since 11/7/2007

Some say the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask

Sep 3, 2021 - 5:51:28 AM
like this

3894 posts since 7/8/2010

Behold the turtle. He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out.

Sep 3, 2021 - 5:56:01 AM
like this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

20427 posts since 6/30/2015

Since I'm an accomplished pain in the a$$, I was a joy as a student. At the end of class, when a teacher would ask any questions? I would come up with some total non-sequitur. Things like "How do they get Teflon to stick to the pan?" or "What color would the sky be if it wasn't blue?". One of my fellow students decided to try this in his electronics class and asked the Teflon question. Well the Professor used to work at DuPont and kept the class for an additional 20 minutes while he explained in detail the chemical bonding between Teflon and the steel or aluminum pan.

Sep 3, 2021 - 7:12:39 AM
likes this

3893 posts since 4/22/2018

I was asked one the other day after asking a hiker if he was really going to leave his car parked across the gate to my friends field as he kitted up to climb a local mountain

Hiker - will he need to use it?

Jonty - well, how do you think farmers get sheep in and out of fields?

Sep 3, 2021 - 7:20:40 AM

12485 posts since 1/15/2005

In a classroom setting, the only stupid questions are the ones that you already know the answer to, but want to display to your classmate how smart you are. They are pretty easy to spot!

Bill's answer reflects his military background ...... one which I can relate to!

Sep 3, 2021 - 9:53:34 AM
like this

Buddur

USA

3081 posts since 10/23/2004

When someone asks me if they can ask me a stupid question....

...I ask them if that was the question.

Sep 3, 2021 - 7:27:48 PM
likes this

821 posts since 10/4/2018

Yes there most certainly are stupid questions. I heard them at school, at work, here on the BHO all the time, everywhere. Just because someone said "there are no stupid questions" and other people have repeated it, doesn't mean it's true. Usually it is said to get reluctant people to talk, and it works very well. But there definitely are, were and always will be stupid questions. By the way, just because things rhyme, doesn't make them true either. Get a clue people, most of you are stupid. Present company excluded. cheeky

Sep 3, 2021 - 7:27:58 PM

Brian T

Canada

18709 posts since 6/5/2008

"How many quarters are there in a basketball game?"
I am expected to be knowledgeable about such things.
Fundamental ignorance can not be distinguished from stupidity.

When little, overhearing my kids discussing the difference between salt and sugar, between lettuce and cabbage. That was funny.

I was told that a question asked in a university class, about 1/2 the class is genuinely interested in the answer but only one had the confidence to say it.

Sep 3, 2021 - 9:32:58 PM
likes this

Paul R

Canada

15000 posts since 1/28/2010

Yes, there definitely are stupid questions. Many of them begin with, "What if?"

And I'm sure I've asked my share of stupid questions ...

as have other people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpmJ-VmmpM&t=5s

Sep 4, 2021 - 6:29:35 AM
likes this

15330 posts since 12/2/2005

Anyone who thinks there's no such thing as a stupid question merely needs to work in a resort community for a season or two.

Sep 4, 2021 - 6:50:10 AM

497 posts since 5/29/2015

Ignorance and stupidity are different, but are often correlated.

Sep 4, 2021 - 7:27:19 AM

2398 posts since 7/20/2004

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Rogers

Rhetorical ones and redundant ones--but I think no really stupid ones.


Most of the questions my wife asks are rhetorical, and the ones my BIL ask are almost always redundant because he never listens.

Sep 5, 2021 - 2:53:23 AM
likes this

4363 posts since 12/6/2009

I ask stupid questions just to see how stupid the answers are.

Sep 5, 2021 - 6:40:39 AM
likes this

194 posts since 11/28/2006

After 30 yrs teaching I can say that yes there are stupid questions. My favorite: “Is this going to be on the test?”

Sep 6, 2021 - 7:13:15 PM

donc

Canada

6735 posts since 2/9/2010

My surgeon came into the operating room and opened with a greeting ...." Good morning Mr. Craik... how is the leg feeling today ?" My answer to him was a little unexpected. .... "My leg feels great but I was hoping you would fix my inguinal hernia." He looked down the sheet of paper in his hand as his face dropped. He said ...." Did you know that a Lorraine Craik is arriving here shortly to have her knee repaired ?" This was an extreme coincidence. My name [and her's] has a very rare spelling. If Dr. Creadon hadn't asked me the question as a social gesture I could have awoken with a large bandage around my leg to go with my ongoing hernia.

Sep 6, 2021 - 7:26:16 PM
like this

Banjo Lefty

Canada

2365 posts since 6/19/2014

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lacey

After 30 yrs teaching I can say that yes there are stupid questions. My favorite: “Is this going to be on the test?”


When I was teaching, my favourite question was (usually preceeded by "Ooh, ooh, sir?") "Can I ask a question?" to which I almost invariably answered: "You just did. Next?"  Sometimes the brighter ones would follow up with "Uh, could I ask a second question?" to which I might say "Yes.  Now let's give somebody else a turn."

Once, and only once, the sharpest student in the class, after hearing the above exchanges, said ("Ooh, ooh, sir?")  "Can I ask you TWO questions?" to which I of course said "Yes.  And what's your second question?"

Sep 7, 2021 - 6:36:49 AM
like this

Owen

Canada

9579 posts since 6/5/2011

For Sale: '62 Valiant.  Slant 6, automatic transmission.   Stored in garage since 1980.  Unique blue and gun metal paint.  Good restoration project.  $2000 firm, NO TRADES.   If you're reading this ad, it's still available.   Phone: blah, blah, blah, etc.

Q #1: Is it still available?

Q #2: Is that a car or a 1/2 ton?

Q #3: What make is it?

Q #4:  Is it currently registered and on the road?

Q #5: What's the price?

Q #6: What motor is in it?

Q #7: Is it a manual or auto tranny? 

Q # 8: Has it undergone a restoration? 

Q #9:  Will you take $800?

Q #10: Would you take a utility trailer on trade?

Q #11:  What color is it?

Q # 12 - 100..... If you've ever advertised something for sale, you probably already know 'em.

Nah! There are no stupid questions!!

Edited by - Owen on 09/07/2021 06:39:32

Sep 7, 2021 - 6:54:27 AM
like this

dat

USA

31306 posts since 7/26/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Banjo Lefty
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lacey

After 30 yrs teaching I can say that yes there are stupid questions. My favorite: “Is this going to be on the test?”


When I was teaching, my favourite question was (usually preceeded by "Ooh, ooh, sir?") "Can I ask a question?" to which I almost invariably answered: "You just did. Next?"  Sometimes the brighter ones would follow up with "Uh, could I ask a second question?" to which I might say "Yes.  Now let's give somebody else a turn."

Once, and only once, the sharpest student in the class, after hearing the above exchanges, said ("Ooh, ooh, sir?")  "Can I ask you TWO questions?" to which I of course said "Yes.  And what's your second question?"


To me, games like that are worthless, just the teacher showing the power they like to have

Edited by - dat on 09/07/2021 06:57:02

Sep 7, 2021 - 10:16:05 AM
like this

Banjo Lefty

Canada

2365 posts since 6/19/2014

quote:
Originally posted by dat
quote:
Originally posted by Banjo Lefty
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lacey

After 30 yrs teaching I can say that yes there are stupid questions. My favorite: “Is this going to be on the test?”


When I was teaching, my favourite question was (usually preceeded by "Ooh, ooh, sir?") "Can I ask a question?" to which I almost invariably answered: "You just did. Next?"  Sometimes the brighter ones would follow up with "Uh, could I ask a second question?" to which I might say "Yes.  Now let's give somebody else a turn."

Once, and only once, the sharpest student in the class, after hearing the above exchanges, said ("Ooh, ooh, sir?")  "Can I ask you TWO questions?" to which I of course said "Yes.  And what's your second question?"


To me, games like that are worthless, just the teacher showing the power they like to have


Not at all.  In fact, I easily accomplished two objectives: first, to separate those students who got it from those who didn't, and, second, to teach the rest to think BEFORE they spoke, instead of blabbing reflexively.

Sep 7, 2021 - 10:31:05 AM

dat

USA

31306 posts since 7/26/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Banjo Lefty
quote:
Originally posted by dat
quote:
Originally posted by Banjo Lefty
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lacey

After 30 yrs teaching I can say that yes there are stupid questions. My favorite: “Is this going to be on the test?”


When I was teaching, my favourite question was (usually preceeded by "Ooh, ooh, sir?") "Can I ask a question?" to which I almost invariably answered: "You just did. Next?"  Sometimes the brighter ones would follow up with "Uh, could I ask a second question?" to which I might say "Yes.  Now let's give somebody else a turn."

Once, and only once, the sharpest student in the class, after hearing the above exchanges, said ("Ooh, ooh, sir?")  "Can I ask you TWO questions?" to which I of course said "Yes.  And what's your second question?"


To me, games like that are worthless, just the teacher showing the power they like to have


Not at all.  In fact, I easily accomplished two objectives: first, to separate those students who got it from those who didn't, and, second, to teach the rest to think BEFORE they spoke, instead of blabbing reflexively.


And to more prove my theory 

Sep 7, 2021 - 10:35:54 AM

dat

USA

31306 posts since 7/26/2006

When I worked in customer service, the professors in town were more into themselves than any other customers, they had the im king attitude that they didn’t have to follow any rules, they made them. Hard life thinking they were all that when most of the time they were just jerks

Sep 7, 2021 - 10:42:40 AM
like this

Owen

Canada

9579 posts since 6/5/2011

Dat, I suspect the professors very likely were jerks before they were profs.... they simply gained an additional outlet. wink

Edited by - Owen on 09/07/2021 10:47:13

Sep 7, 2021 - 10:47:35 AM

dat

USA

31306 posts since 7/26/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Dat, I suspect the professors very likely were jerks before they were profs. wink


True, but there is teaching, and trying to make yourself feel superior, which doesn't do much for the student, even though the teacher thinks they are doing good 

Sep 7, 2021 - 10:51:15 AM
likes this

1312 posts since 9/6/2019

My DI in basic used to say there were no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.2460938