Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

869
Banjo Lovers Online


Sep 2, 2021 - 7:16:08 AM
225 posts since 9/14/2019

I've been playing CH for a little over a year. Been playing out of G modal for certain minor tunes, but got to looking at Shady Grove. On guitar I'd play that out of D minor, not G minor.....I started research and found some folks playing in Dm out of DD. Wow! It sounds great. I like it better than G modal by far.

Immediately started fooling around with Little Sadie and trying to copy Tony Rice's main rythym licks to CH. It fits really well.

Also, no retuning!

Thumb away.......

Sep 2, 2021 - 8:31:29 AM

R Buck

USA

2985 posts since 9/5/2006

Try using this tuning aDADF The melody will live on the first string, embellishments will be found on the 2nd and third string. I also use it for Caleb Myer, Little Sadie and other tunes/songs.

Sep 3, 2021 - 2:37:59 AM
like this

Bill H

USA

1728 posts since 11/7/2010

One thing to bear in mind with traditional tunes is that they are generally played at jams and group settings in their traditional key. Transposing tunes into different keys can be fun and a good learning exercise, but will be limited often to solo playing.

Sep 3, 2021 - 7:55:04 AM
likes this

225 posts since 9/14/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Bill H

One thing to bear in mind with traditional tunes is that they are generally played at jams and group settings in their traditional key. Transposing tunes into different keys can be fun and a good learning exercise, but will be limited often to solo playing.


Definitely. I'm learning these tunes in the keys I want to play them in with the guys I normally play with.

Sep 3, 2021 - 12:55:29 PM

Bill Rogers (Moderator)

USA

25217 posts since 6/25/2005

You can also play in Dm in G tuning just by running your 5th up to A. Some tunes will set better that way. Others no so much.

Sep 3, 2021 - 8:00:12 PM

hbick2

USA

442 posts since 6/26/2004

Listen to Doc Watson. He played a lot of stuff in Dm both on guitar and banjo. I'm sure it fit his voice better. His Shady Grove on the banjo, in Dm, is really nice. Little Sadie on guitar is in Dm, too.

Sep 4, 2021 - 6:12:54 AM

225 posts since 9/14/2019

quote:
Originally posted by hbick2

Listen to Doc Watson. He played a lot of stuff in Dm both on guitar and banjo. I'm sure it fit his voice better. His Shady Grove on the banjo, in Dm, is really nice. Little Sadie on guitar is in Dm, too.


That's why I'm learning them in Dm, because we play them in Dm as well.

I just wasn't sure what tuning Doc played out of. I just figured out Dm out of DD, but I guess he could have been playing out of G...

Sep 4, 2021 - 6:43:24 AM

hbick2

USA

442 posts since 6/26/2004

I'm pretty sure he played them out of DD. I've played that one and it works fine from DD. I can't imagine playing it out of open G.

Sep 4, 2021 - 7:12:09 AM

225 posts since 9/14/2019

quote:
Originally posted by hbick2

I'm pretty sure he played them out of DD. I've played that one and it works fine from DD. I can't imagine playing it out of open G.


I haven't explored it yet myself, but Bill Rogers said up above that it could be done in G in the 5th string was tuned to A.

Sep 4, 2021 - 8:32:34 AM

hbick2

USA

442 posts since 6/26/2004

I know it can be done, but I'm a big one for using tunings. When you play D tunes out of G, you lose the effect of all of those open strings.

I just posted a good example on my media page. It is the opening segment of Wake Up Darlin' Corey from the County album of the same name. Art Stamper is playing fiddle and I am playing banjo. I am using the tuning that Art said his family used to play this tune: aDaDD You can certainly play Darlin' Corey out of G tuning, but you won't have the haunting effect that this tuning provides.

banjohangout.org/myhangout/mus...p?id=3743

Harry Bickel

Sep 4, 2021 - 1:11:33 PM

225 posts since 9/14/2019

quote:
Originally posted by hbick2

I know it can be done, but I'm a big one for using tunings. When you play D tunes out of G, you lose the effect of all of those open strings.

I just posted a good example on my media page. It is the opening segment of Wake Up Darlin' Corey from the County album of the same name. Art Stamper is playing fiddle and I am playing banjo. I am using the tuning that Art said his family used to play this tune: aDaDD You can certainly play Darlin' Corey out of G tuning, but you won't have the haunting effect that this tuning provides.

banjohangout.org/myhangout/mus...p?id=3743

Harry Bickel


I totally agree with you. However, I only have one banjo and sometimes on stage retuning too much is very incovienent. I understand now why people in the clawhammer world have at least two banjos.

Sep 4, 2021 - 1:57:46 PM
likes this

hbick2

USA

442 posts since 6/26/2004

Retuning is a pain. Taking a capo off and on is worse. I sometimes play G tunes capoed at two by using the A modal tuning with the 5-th string tuned down to a G. Retuning is also a good time for one of your band members to go get another pitcher of beer.

Sep 4, 2021 - 3:05:49 PM
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

4122 posts since 3/11/2004

Here's my tab for "Shady Grove" from my Kindle ebook of Doc & Merle Watson tunes. It uses double-C tuning with the capo at the 2nd fret (or tune up to aDADE). I based this tab on the BBC video, "Three Fays with Doc Watson," available on YouTube. Maybe it will help.

David


Sep 4, 2021 - 6:55:10 PM

3243 posts since 10/17/2009

aDADE works pretty well for D modal tunes; while aDADF can also work, I think I often prefer the former. Can be bonus requires no retuning from DD.

But FWIW, have enjoying fDGCD for Dm, find works well for more definitive minor sound, and pretty versatile for many tunes with related keys/chords (like F, Bb, G modal). Similar what I like to use a step up for many Em tunes.

Sep 6, 2021 - 10:26:41 PM

Jelle

Netherlands

238 posts since 5/28/2012

Playing minor in double C/double D is very satisfying. It keeps the main melody of many tunes around the centre strings of the banjo instead of way up. Plus you got that low C/D string you can start and end the melody on. In this video I play Cousin Sally Brown in double C, though it's often played in sawmill.


Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.25