Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

366
Banjo Lovers Online


Aug 18, 2021 - 7:05:05 PM
like this
411 posts since 12/13/2016

A collaboration via TablEdit between @howsy-bee and myself. I did a little plagiarism of some licks from Pat Cloud (Bluegrass Harmonica solo), and some ideas of my own. Hans definitely added some "ear twisting" ideas to the project, and I appreciate his taking the time to play along, so to speak (tab along?). There should be plenty of new ideas to appease the 3-finger crowd. Enjoy! Make your own variations.  The TablEdit file is in the tab archive.


Edited by - stratovarious520 on 08/18/2021 19:06:18

Aug 19, 2021 - 1:51:52 AM
likes this

Bill H

USA

1729 posts since 11/7/2010

Great timing. I have been working on a tab for this tune. Mine has been based on the version played by the string band group I play with. I am just learning to use Tabledit and discovering how useful it is in learning and arranging tunes.

Aug 19, 2021 - 3:39:15 AM
likes this

7104 posts since 8/30/2004

Greg,
Excellent arrangement and nice to see quality coming back to BHO. You borrowed from the best--Hans H...Jack
 
Originally posted by stratovarious520

A collaboration via TablEdit between @howsy-bee and myself. I did a little plagiarism of some licks from Pat Cloud (Bluegrass Harmonica solo), and some ideas of my own. Hans definitely added some "ear twisting" ideas to the project, and I appreciate his taking the time to play along, so to speak (tab along?). There should be plenty of new ideas to appease the 3-finger crowd. Enjoy! Make your own variations.  The TablEdit file is in the tab archive.


Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/19/2021 03:42:07

Aug 19, 2021 - 4:48:21 AM

411 posts since 12/13/2016

quote:
Originally posted by Bill H

Great timing. I have been working on a tab for this tune. Mine has been based on the version played by the string band group I play with. I am just learning to use Tabledit and discovering how useful it is in learning and arranging tunes.


Glad to be of help Bill!

Aug 19, 2021 - 4:51:42 AM

411 posts since 12/13/2016

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Baker
Greg,
Excellent arrangement and nice to see quality coming back to BHO. You borrowed from the best--Hans H...Jack
 
Originally posted by stratovarious520

A collaboration via TablEdit between @howsy-bee and myself. I did a little plagiarism of some licks from Pat Cloud (Bluegrass Harmonica solo), and some ideas of my own. Hans definitely added some "ear twisting" ideas to the project, and I appreciate his taking the time to play along, so to speak (tab along?). There should be plenty of new ideas to appease the 3-finger crowd. Enjoy! Make your own variations.  The TablEdit file is in the tab archive.


 


Thanks Jack!  If it wasn't for Hans, I probably would have never tabbed my own stuff.  My day isn't complete until I have aggravated him at least a little!  ; )

Aug 19, 2021 - 6:24:20 AM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

59676 posts since 10/5/2013

Great stuff! Gimme 5 years and I might have some of it under my fingers….. wink

Edited by - chuckv97 on 08/19/2021 06:25:18

Aug 19, 2021 - 7:18:33 AM
likes this

banjoy

USA

9851 posts since 7/1/2006

Wow Greg ... this is super coincidental...

I ALSO prepared some tab for variations on Blackberry Blossom, and had the tab and audio file ready to go months ago and was gonna do a video but lost interest in the project. I have tab and an MP3 I can post right now, only with your permission to add it to this thread ...

It's pretty long... and gives some melodic and Scruggs-style approached to both parts of the tune ...

Let me know I'll post it right to this thread, I think it'll add to the discussion IMHO ...

Aug 19, 2021 - 7:47:25 AM

411 posts since 12/13/2016

Absolutely Frank. I haven't a problem with that at all.

Aug 19, 2021 - 8:25:58 AM
likes this

2171 posts since 1/21/2003

Great work Greg and Hans.

Aug 19, 2021 - 9:05:48 AM
likes this

banjoy

USA

9851 posts since 7/1/2006

Okay cool, here ya go. I did all this work in March and was gonna do a video to explain all this stuff but ran out of steam.

So here are a bunch of ideas I came up with over the years that are more Scruggs-y with some chromatic stuff spicing it up (the first pass through Part A is what everone already knows). I especially like the variations for Part B.

I also posted all this stuff to BHO tab archives including the TablEdit file so you can mess around more with it...

And here is a video I made back in 2013 where I turned the camera on and started rambling about this tune, but you get to see quite a few of these licks in action LOL ...

I hope someone gets something out of this, it's a very fun tune to play!


Edited by - banjoy on 08/19/2021 09:07:07

Aug 19, 2021 - 7:01:22 PM
likes this

411 posts since 12/13/2016

quote:
Originally posted by rickhayes

Great work Greg and Hans.


Thanks brother Rick!  It's amazing how much we can do with just a G major scale...and that's what 99% of these "fancy sounding" licks are.

Aug 19, 2021 - 7:04:58 PM
likes this

411 posts since 12/13/2016

quote:
Originally posted by chuckv97

Great stuff! Gimme 5 years and I might have some of it under my fingers….. wink


Many thanks my friend, but I just ain't buying the "5 years"...you can flat pick banjo and guitar (CGP) with the best.  Truth.

Aug 19, 2021 - 7:09:24 PM

411 posts since 12/13/2016

quote:
Originally posted by banjoy

Okay cool, here ya go. I did all this work in March and was gonna do a video to explain all this stuff but ran out of steam.

So here are a bunch of ideas I came up with over the years that are more Scruggs-y with some chromatic stuff spicing it up (the first pass through Part A is what everone already knows). I especially like the variations for Part B.

I also posted all this stuff to BHO tab archives including the TablEdit file so you can mess around more with it...

And here is a video I made back in 2013 where I turned the camera on and started rambling about this tune, but you get to see quite a few of these licks in action LOL ...

I hope someone gets something out of this, it's a very fun tune to play!

 


Really good stuff Frank.  Thanks for posting this.

Aug 20, 2021 - 4:15:48 AM

banjoy

USA

9851 posts since 7/1/2006

I realized there is an omission in the materials I posted above (that I had intended to fix when I was gonna release them with the video I never made) that oops, I remembered this morning.

In the variations for Part B, the #4 idea is not mine, but was shown to me about 30 years ago in Memphis, by a banjo picker there named Randal Morton, a fine musician. I remembered him jamming to BB and this lick blew my mind, so I asked him to slow down and show it to me and he did. The helped open the door for me to the very notion that I could come up with other stuff for well known tunes, I was allowed to stray. All the rest of the stuff above is mine, but that phrase (or something very close to it) came directly from Randal...

Edited by - banjoy on 08/20/2021 04:17:25

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.21875