Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Aug 7, 2021 - 11:30:08 PM
likes this

964 posts since 6/25/2006

Good luck tomorrow MrsM - if you are not sure about the deal, I would say give yourself time to think about it (esp if Eagle music prefer you to do a commission sale and that is not a good deal). You could also try Hobgoblin music and see how they compare. Maybe you could buy a cheaper banjo without selling your collectors item (e.g. paypal credit paying over 4months at 0%....).  At least, you will get a chance to try out some banjos in person tomorrow and see what you like.

Edited by - hobogal on 08/07/2021 23:33:28

Aug 8, 2021 - 1:39:19 AM
likes this

285 posts since 5/25/2015

quote:
Originally posted by hobogal

Good luck tomorrow MrsM - if you are not sure about the deal, I would say give yourself time to think about it (esp if Eagle music prefer you to do a commission sale and that is not a good deal). You could also try Hobgoblin music and see how they compare. Maybe you could buy a cheaper banjo without selling your collectors item (e.g. paypal credit paying over 4months at 0%....).  At least, you will get a chance to try out some banjos in person tomorrow and see what you like.

I think Carrie has hit the nail on the head. You have a great banjo, a good budget, and a lot of options. This is your chance to find your ideal banjo. Take your time trying different things out tomorrow and, most of all, have some fun doing it!

Aug 8, 2021 - 5:31:06 AM
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

4124 posts since 3/11/2004

I too like the idea of buying a second banjo and taking your time with selling the Reiter. You would be unable to replace the Reiter, and even finding an equivalent banjo that is lighter may not be possible.

David

Aug 8, 2021 - 8:27:36 AM

17 posts since 8/5/2021

Don Smith1959 checked weight again 13.5 pounds. It is a 2002 model.

Thinking of p/ex to a Deering Vega vintage Star or Deering Vega white oak- going to try them out tomorrow and hope the figures add up for me :)

Edited by - MrsM on 08/08/2021 08:38:16

Aug 8, 2021 - 8:34:11 AM
likes this

17 posts since 8/5/2021

gentrixuk and hobo gal - I shan't sleep tonight - have had this Reiter a long time now and am so excited to be trying out new banjos.

I have already decided if the p/x is not a fair deal I will buy a Goodtime and bring my Reiter home. I can afford £400 and at least will have a decent instrument to play - I can't play the Reiter for more than 10 minutes without discomfort now.

But if the stars are in my favour, I shall be coming home with the Deering Vega Vintage Star or the Deering white oak.

Eagle sold a basic open back Retier for £1600 recently so they could easily sell this one for 2k+

Anyway, people on this thread have been just great and I will let everyone know how I get on tomorrow. :)

Edited by - MrsM on 08/08/2021 08:37:54

Aug 8, 2021 - 3:26:31 PM

486 posts since 10/18/2020

@MrsM

I agree with others in purchasing a second banjo and taking your time selling the Reiter the Reiter is just to nice of a Banjo just to trade for a lighter banjo

Take your time and get what you want for your Reiter or just keep it because you may never get a chance to purchase another Reiter since he retired
just like the Grand Concert I have I believe they will only go up in Value

Edited by - Don Smith1959 on 08/08/2021 15:27:35

Aug 8, 2021 - 7:27:36 PM

jbalch

USA

8787 posts since 11/28/2003

quote:
Originally posted by Don Smith1959
quote:
Originally posted by MrsM

Remsleep
I shall see how I get on at Eagle Music on Monday afternoon. I am not an advanced player and only play for my own pleasure - my ideal would be to come away with a nice Deering and some cash but don't think that is likely. So thank you very much for the recommendation for John Avery Turner.

I prefer not to do a private sale as the truth is I have a banjo way beyond my playing capability and technical understanding. I bought in over in the States and brought it home on the Queen Mary 2 :)

My priority is to get a banjo that is reliable and weighs around 5 pounds - this Reiter is almost 15 pounds and just too heavy for me. :)

That is heavy for an open back i thought my Reiter Grand Concert was heavy but it is no where close to 15 pounds that is closer in weight to the Resonator banjo I have are you sure the scale you used to weigh it on was working correctly that just seems quite heavy for the banjo you have

My maple-neck Reiter Bacophone-Plus (with both: whyte laydie + Bacon tone rings) weighs only 7.2lbs.  No way a regular (non-bracket-band) WL would be much different than that.   

Aug 9, 2021 - 5:10:16 PM

243 posts since 11/16/2011

quote:
Originally posted by jbalch

My maple-neck Reiter Bacophone-Plus (with both: whyte laydie + Bacon tone rings) weighs only 7.2lbs.  No way a regular (non-bracket-band) WL would be much different than that.   

I was curious so I weighed my 1990 Reiter WL with a bracket band and it's 8lb 1oz, 16lbs 12oz in the Reiter supplied hardshell case.

Aug 9, 2021 - 7:54:08 PM

I am going to have to weigh my Grand concert now just to compare it has gotten me curious

The weight MrsM posted up just does not seem correct to me but i may be wrong will also weigh my Rickard which is a 11 inch maple whyte laydie and post both weights up

Edited by - Don Smith1959 on 08/09/2021 19:57:47

Aug 9, 2021 - 8:48:31 PM

Ok weighed my Reiter Grand Concert it weighs 7.6 pounds my Rickard 11 inch Maple Whyte Laydie which is like MrsMs Reiter but fewer hooks is 6.8 pounds

Aug 10, 2021 - 5:15:10 AM

YellowSkyBlueSun

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

418 posts since 5/11/2021

The thought of trading a Bart Reiter WL for any model Deering nearly makes me sick to my stomach. But to each their own.

Aug 10, 2021 - 5:59:47 AM
Players Union Member

dbrooks

USA

4124 posts since 3/11/2004

When I worked in system analysis and process reengineering, I had a mentor tell me, "One measurement is worth a thousand opinions." So true.

David

Aug 10, 2021 - 7:17:24 AM

964 posts since 6/25/2006

Are we getting side-tracked with how much the banjo weighs - that really wasn't the poster's question - anyway, she has had surgery so comfort is the key issue. 

Edited by - hobogal on 08/10/2021 07:21:02

Aug 10, 2021 - 12:32 PM

quote:

Are we getting side-tracked with how much the banjo weighs - that really wasn't the poster's question - anyway, she has had surgery so comfort is the key issue. 

We are not getting side tracked at all, By MrsMs initial post she did make it about the weight of her Reiter

She did state in her initial post her Reiter weighed 15 pounds which I found hard to believe she then corrected it and stated it weighed 13.5 pounds i believe in another reply to my reply she is looking for a lighter banjo because of her operation so MrsM made it about the weight of her Reiter 

the weights MrsM stated are closer to a Resonator banjo then a open back banjo

based on some of the replies of others and the weight of both my Reckard and my Reiter Grand Concert which has the same amount of hardware as well as added wood for the internal resonator there is absolutely no way MrsMs Reiter could weigh the stated weights so without knowing the actual weight of MrsMs Reiter how is anyone supposed to recomend a lighter banjo

Edited by - Don Smith1959 on 08/10/2021 12:49:19

Aug 12, 2021 - 2:57:31 AM

Jimmy Sutton

England

239 posts since 9/30/2013

I may be coming here a bit late but for what it is worth I also live in the UK and own a Reiter Whyte Ladye
the number is 394 which was made in 1989.

I would estimate a fair price would be around £1600 ($2000).
You might want to contact the FOAOTM in he UK (That is Friends American Old Time Music). They have a website. Many of them will be at their Summer Camp right now, playing around the clock. You may well find a customer there bearing in mind the expense of importing from across the pond.

Aug 12, 2021 - 6:46:25 AM

Jack Adams

France

26 posts since 2/28/2014

Just weighed my 1919 Vega Whyte Laydie with the Bart Reiter neck; looks like it comes to just under 3 kilos with strap, pickup and hose section mute. Purchased in 1987 at Mandolin Bros. Staten Island for 1500 USD.
Anyone know what it may go for......? ( I live in France )

Edited by - Jack Adams on 08/12/2021 06:58:36

Aug 12, 2021 - 8:56:02 AM
likes this

JSB88

UK

261 posts since 3/9/2017

quote:

I agree. It doesn't matter what it weighs, the OP is finding it too heavy. The key is - something lighter than what she has. If you're lucky enough to have a Reiter WL, you don't need to point out what it 'actually' weighs, you will know from your real life experience what is lighter. 

Aug 12, 2021 - 12:43:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JSB88
quote:

I agree. It doesn't matter what it weighs, the OP is finding it too heavy. The key is - something lighter than what she has. If you're lucky enough to have a Reiter WL, you don't need to point out what it 'actually' weighs, you will know from your real life experience what is lighter. 

Ok so based on your statement in recoment a Rickard 

Like I said in an earlier reply how can anyone recommend a lighter banjo without knowing how heavy her Rieter actually is 

YOU CANNOT

The only way she will be able to find a lighter banjo that is comfortable to her is to go try a bunch of different banjos 

Aug 13, 2021 - 5:12:28 AM
likes this

1 posts since 1/25/2019

Bill Lee

Noting with interest the query from Mrs M regarding her desire for a more lighter replacement for her Bart Reiter 'Whyte Lady'. From her initial assumption it is surprising how many Reiters are now cropping up in the UK - maybe we should a start an Owner's Club !
I own a 'Special' which I bought in Carmel Music in 1998 and am pleased with my purchase. For those of a keen disposition, the Serial Number is 1232 putting it around 1995. We were on a pleasant holiday In California and doing a round of Yosemite and the vineyards. Getting the instrument back to the UK was interesting inasmuch as the case had to be packed out with lightweight sorbo-packing purchased from a local model shop it all worked well and a sigh of relief was noticeable as the airport services appeared with the case in Newcastle International Airport.
I sincerely hope that Mrs M finds a lighter option to the 'Lady' but do not sell it, keep it you will regret letting it go.

Aug 13, 2021 - 11:42:02 AM
likes this

17 posts since 8/5/2021

Hello all you lovely people - I am overwhelmed at how many of you have taken the trouble to respond - thank you :)

So I went to eagle Music in the UK on Monday. the first revelation was my suitcase weigh scales are way out of synch. My BR WL weighs in at 7.4lbs - which to me feels heavy. I tried several different banjos including a few Ome but the one i really liked because of the weight was a Nechville Atlas. Even though it has a 12" pot, that amazing wooden rim makes it super comfy for me. But I didn't make any decision and left my BR with them for new strings a service and set up.

I went back today. I could have cried. The difference In the BR with new strings, the cleaning and set up is beyond amazing. It sounds truly wonderful. All the ebony fret boards are polished, all the chrome work is shiny, the head is tighter... and they charged me £35 - $50.

I have come away with my beautiful Bart Reiter which I am keeping. I have also bought a new Deering Goodtime Parlour banjo which is super light and the shorter neck means I can practice new pieces and learn new tricks without getting muscle fatigue. Then once I have learned can play them on the BR.

I feel so happy. The people at Eagle Music acknowledged I am not going to lose money on the BR and to hang on to it until something I really do fall in love with comes along. But you know, this banjo, well I went all the way to Chicago to buy it, it travelled home on the Queen Mary 2 all the way across the Atlnatic by ship, ... maybe we are just meant to be together :)

So thank you everyone, am happily learning some new licks and tricks on the Goodtime and shall continue to take good care of the BR :) xx

Edited by - MrsM on 08/13/2021 11:44:22

Aug 13, 2021 - 12:06:55 PM
likes this

I am vary happy for you Mrsm and I believe you made the rite decision in keeping the Rieter they are truly a beautiful banjo and because of Barts retirement I believe they will only increase in value
Good wishes to you in your adventure

Edited by - Don Smith1959 on 08/13/2021 12:07:31

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories