Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  2   3   4  5  6   7   8  ...   Next Page   Last Page (10) 

Aug 7, 2021 - 8:39:31 AM

1258 posts since 1/25/2017

It looks like Buck made the mistake of stating an opinion that offended too many of the congregation - thus the predictable tsunami of responsive name-calling ("troll" being the usual epithet hurled at an heretic) and condescension resulting in his being swept out to sea.

Aug 7, 2021 - 8:41:59 AM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

60566 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

Simon,, did you see his comeback posts after he came back with a different name? Pretty disgusting,, as if he wasn’t earlier, IMO.

Aug 7, 2021 - 8:50:33 AM
like this

banjoy

USA

9887 posts since 7/1/2006

I dunno Simon, I guess you weren't paying attention. There's a whole lot more going on that you didn't see or have ignored for convenience. This guy hurled insults all over BHO, calling people twats, niggaz, and b****es (and worse) -- posts which have all been hidden because they ain't on BHO anymore, but lots of people saw them.

When he was locked, he created another account and it got 10x worse. This guy has some issues to deal with. I guess the moderators decided BHO wasn't the place to work them out. To that point I was a mere observer, among many.

He definitely trolled me personally, outside of BHO on another platform, hurling insults and cursing at me, and I will not convey details here, other than to say he's been dealt with appropriately on that platform.

Maybe you should email the moderators and ask rather than assume.

Edited by - banjoy on 08/07/2021 08:53:00

Aug 7, 2021 - 11:14:29 AM
like this

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

26558 posts since 8/3/2003

quote:
Originally posted by SimonSlick

It looks like Buck made the mistake of stating an opinion that offended too many of the congregation - thus the predictable tsunami of responsive name-calling ("troll" being the usual epithet hurled at an heretic) and condescension resulting in his being swept out to sea.

If you'd seen the threads he posted last night, you'd know why he's locked.  Fortunately, one of us mods got to the very offensive threads and hid them before everyone on the Hangout could see and complain. 

Before you go questioning a moderator's decision, first question the moderator and find out what actually happened rather than accusing them of jumping the gun on locking someone out.

Aug 7, 2021 - 11:35:22 AM
like this

7147 posts since 8/30/2004
Online Now

Simon,
I saw his last post to a particular moderator and it was beyond filthy and insane. You are dead wrong and should not be supporting this kind of over the top ugliness as especially if the moderator explained her reason for booting this disgusting person...jack baker

Originally posted by SimonSlick

Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/07/2021 11:36:17

Aug 7, 2021 - 12:01:19 PM

Owen

Canada

9836 posts since 6/5/2011

I know a dude that seems to have put in a bit of time/effort and has precious little to show for it.  wink

Edited by - Owen on 08/07/2021 12:01:40

Aug 7, 2021 - 2:38:48 PM
likes this

2678 posts since 4/5/2006

During my SoCa tenure, I came to know some really top-notch, well respected, BG banjo players who also taught. Over the years, I saw some of their students advance to phenomenal levels. I also came to know some who, like myself, were more or less, self-taught.

During that era, studying under people of that caliber, was a face to face thing, at times involving torturous commutes through heavy traffic. Although not quite the same, today's technology enables anyone with a smartphone to study under someone halfway around the world!

Regardless of who one studies under, none of this is going to happen overnight. It takes time to get where you want to go, time for your mentor to discover the key, unlocking the student's mind. Kids are easy, their minds yet to be contaminated with all the clutter of the adult world, are wide open. As adults, life gets in the way. We just have to learn to deal with it, as best we can.

Edited by - monstertone on 08/07/2021 14:50:15

Aug 7, 2021 - 5:42:31 PM
likes this

Joeblo

Australia

31 posts since 3/1/2021

I didn't see the derogatory posts.
There's no way I would support that. Well done mods

Aug 7, 2021 - 7:34:52 PM
likes this

lanemb

USA

221 posts since 3/11/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

I know a dude that seems to have put in a bit of time/effort and has precious little to show for it.  wink

Off subject but those are a couple of interesting stands. 

Aug 7, 2021 - 10:28:15 PM

223 posts since 5/21/2020

quote:

Probably skipped over learning  the fundamentals, It a common factor with beginners, they steam ahead trying to play everything way to fast then a couple of years down the road they pause and reflect on their progress / achievements and feel they are marking time 

Tell the Dude to go sign up for a free silver pick membership at   http://banjobenclark.com and work thru the beginners learning path. Lessons are such fun and he/she will be surprised how skills, knowledge and confidence are improved.

Aug 8, 2021 - 4:19:54 PM

quote:

We had a guy like that in SoCa. Perpetual beginner. Nice guy but, seemed like no matter what he tried, he just never progressed past that point. We finally just decided as long as he's happy, leave him alone.

Edited by - monstertone on 08/08/2021 16:21:22

Aug 8, 2021 - 4:56:13 PM
likes this

15356 posts since 12/2/2005

quote:
Originally posted by monstertone
quote:

We had a guy like that in SoCa. Perpetual beginner. Nice guy but, seemed like no matter what he tried, he just never progressed past that point. We finally just decided as long as he's happy, leave him alone.

Yes, this. I've had a bunch of students who, after about two months of sessions, made it clear without saying so that playing the banjo well wasn't the most important thing. For some, it was "me time" - me being "I'm going to my banjo lesson, you guys are on your own for dinner." For several others, it was simply hanging out with someone non-judgmental who enjoyed them as people. I guess you could say that for several of them, I was their therapist.

I was grossly underpaid for that role. Then again, I wasn't offering them any advice on how to get their heads on straight. I enjoyed their company, and they enjoyed mine enough to pay for it.

Edited by - eagleisland on 08/08/2021 16:56:51

Aug 8, 2021 - 5:38:16 PM

Owen

Canada

9836 posts since 6/5/2011

Michael, the stands are reclaimed pallet wood.  A bit more lean-back than what I've seen with commercial stands.  Weight is supported on the pot instead of the resonator [I read somewhere that that was good, so figured "why not?"].  Can "lock" (?) 'em in with a rubber/elastic band or ??, although that hasn't been needed so far.

Fred, the dude definitely didn't steam ahead* trying to play anything 'way too fast.... he can do a few rolls, although he has no idea of how to incorporate them into anything.  He learned to pick (?) a tabbed version of Will The Circle and also Long Journey Home.... strictly by rote.  His saving grace (?) is being sort of able to do an inside-outside roll [3,2,5,1- 4,2,5,1] to accompany what he euphimistically calls singing.   Fwiw, he did look into BBC, but so far has been unable force himself past the hokiness.... maybe he'll give it another look.  

For several months he's been stalled on Jim Pankey's lesson #2: the 3rd. string 2>4 slide + pick 2,5,1 and 4th string +H.O.+ 2,5,1.  "I'll see you back in a few days, or a week or two... or however long it takes."  I'm working on the "however long it takes;" I've slacked off, but I haven't abandoned it.

* = I started with the inside-outside roll 10ish years ago.. After two years at it one of my daughters said "Dad...it's time to start leaning something else."  So I branched out [ha!ha!]... even took some one-on-one lessons for a few months while we experimented with the snowbird lifestyle.  Progress was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, but noticeable if compared month to month rather than week to week.

Anyway... no intentions of throwing in the towel just yet [although a couple of years ago I noticed the onset of a slight off-and-on tremor in the hands].   smiley

Edited by - Owen on 08/08/2021 17:40:05

Aug 8, 2021 - 10:22:49 PM
like this

16 posts since 5/26/2020

54 years old and I have never tried to play any instrument . 2 years ago I borrowed a banjo and the Scruggs book from a friend because I wanted to learn to play. My friend explained tab and off I went. I watched many youtube videos from Jim Pankey, Banjo Ben Clark and others but I never signed on for a whole course that I had to pay for. After about 3 months I met a guy at the local music store that knew someone giving lessons that was on my way home from work. I decided to pay for 1 month only to just see how he thought I was doing. I realized in 1 lesson that I had no idea about timing , proper hammer on or slide technique, or pretty much any music theory. Nothing I played sounded even remotely close to what he played and I learned what a metronome was really for! Thank goodness I didn't play long enough to build bad muscle memory into my technique. So, this being said, IMHO teachers are important in learning and youtube just isn't the same as in -person feedback you can get from a human. Just saying....

Aug 8, 2021 - 11:26:28 PM

quote:

Michael, the stands are reclaimed pallet wood.  A bit more lean-back than what I've seen with commercial stands.  Weight is supported on the pot instead of the resonator [I read somewhere that that was good, so figured "why not?"].  Can "lock" (?) 'em in with a rubber/elastic band or ??, although that hasn't been needed so far.

Fred, the dude definitely didn't steam ahead* trying to play anything 'way too fast.... he can do a few rolls, although he has no idea of how to incorporate them into anything.  He learned to pick (?) a tabbed version of Will The Circle and also Long Journey Home.... strictly by rote.  His saving grace (?) is being sort of able to do an inside-outside roll [3,2,5,1- 4,2,5,1] to accompany what he euphimistically calls singing.   Fwiw, he did look into BBC, but so far has been unable force himself past the hokiness.... maybe he'll give it another look.  

For several months he's been stalled on Jim Pankey's lesson #2: the 3rd. string 2>4 slide + pick 2,5,1 and 4th string +H.O.+ 2,5,1.  "I'll see you back in a few days, or a week or two... or however long it takes."  I'm working on the "however long it takes;" I've slacked off, but I haven't abandoned it.

* = I started with the inside-outside roll 10ish years ago.. After two years at it one of my daughters said "Dad...it's time to start leaning something else."  So I branched out [ha!ha!]... even took some one-on-one lessons for a few months while we experimented with the snowbird lifestyle.  Progress was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, but noticeable if compared month to month rather than week to week.

Anyway... no intentions of throwing in the towel just yet [although a couple of years ago I noticed the onset of a slight off-and-on tremor in the hands].   smiley

The Dude needs to get past those strings of numbers and get into a proper study of the fundaments. I remember years ago trying to follow these number roll patterns offered as advice here on the BHO it confused the hell out of me. Once I signed up with BBC and got into a structured study path I never looked back. But if the Dude is happy and wants to plod along with what he/she is doing I wish him/her well. Don't let Banjo Ben's hokiness fool you. That's just pure entertainment, behind that facade is a dedicated  top notch teacher not a pro banjo player trying to earn a few dollars waiting on the next paying gig to come along. Ben has devoted his life to being a teacher. Don't take my word for it ask any of his long term students. 

If the Dude is stuck on a simple  2-4 slide or an inside roll then he/she definitely would benefit from Ben's help. But you know the saying you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.    

Edited by - FenderFred on 08/08/2021 23:29:29

Aug 9, 2021 - 12:12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stan laurel

I didn't see much that was controversial, but I agree there is plenty on Banjo Ben that will keep someone busy for quite a while, for free, especially during the cheese-slicer days early on with any steel string instrument

I quit guitar practice a few times over sore fingers, so paying for lessons would not have helped

Stan your right it wouldn't have helped. To become a banjo player you need dedication and the will to play on through the pain even whilst your fingers bleed. Have you tried the harmonica ?

Saying "there is plenty on Banjo Ben that will keep someone busy for quite a while," Is an understatement with new lessons being added every three weeks ( every week if you play all three guitar, mandolin and banjo ) there are enough lessons and guest appearances to keep you entertained for the rest of your days that's why more and more of his students are signing up for a life membership. They just can't get enough of Banjo Ben. You may not have heard he also does Camps at his home in Nashville his Farm in Texas and this past year he held Camps in Montana, Florida & Alaska and at his General Store in Exeter Missouri. Not to mention the array of guest teachers Alan Monde. Russ Carson, Adam Ash Banjo'  Justin Bond & Jake Stogdale Guitar, Dave Dillard Clawhammer,   I must not forget to mention Ben's sisters Katie Lou and Penny Lee multi instruments. If you would like to learn more go to YouTube and search Banjo Ben Cabin Camp and hear directly from his students attending these events.

Edited by - FenderFred on 08/09/2021 00:23:52

Aug 9, 2021 - 4:02:25 AM

4447 posts since 12/6/2009

This may or may not be perceived as what is being discussed but I thought it impertinent. Someone told the story about a young man who spent a fortune taking karate lessons for years and finally graduated with a brown belt from his teacher. Then one day he was walking through an alley and was confronted by 4 large mean looking gang members who asked him for his wallet.....without hesitation he took out 2 bricks.....laid them on the side walk....swung is rock hard trained hand and broke both bricks with one swipe like he was taught to do......the thugs beat the **** out of him and took his wallet........moral of story....eh

Aug 9, 2021 - 4:36:35 AM
likes this

22 posts since 1/7/2021

quote:
Originally posted by FenderFred
Stan your right it wouldn't have helped. To become a banjo player you need dedication and the will to play on through the pain even whilst your fingers bleed. Have you tried the harmonica ?

Some have argued that regular practice with good technique, and understanding of theory will make you a banjo player.

This blood angle is interesting though.

Aug 9, 2021 - 6:08:35 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

21347 posts since 6/30/2015
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by overhere

This may or may not be perceived as what is being discussed but I thought it impertinent. Someone told the story about a young man who spent a fortune taking karate lessons for years and finally graduated with a brown belt from his teacher. Then one day he was walking through an alley and was confronted by 4 large mean looking gang members who asked him for his wallet.....without hesitation he took out 2 bricks.....laid them on the side walk....swung is rock hard trained hand and broke both bricks with one swipe like he was taught to do......the thugs beat the **** out of him and took his wallet........moral of story....eh

Ed Parker, the founder of American Kenpo Karate was once asked why he didn't teach how to break boards.  His response was something like "When trees start attacking people, I'll teach how to break boards."   One day some thugs came into his dojo mouthing off how karate wasn't so tough and they were going to beat him up.  He calmly sat at his desk, pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and wrote "Recipe for Death".  Then he stood up took his stance, and they all left. 

Aug 9, 2021 - 6:12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by A Drum On A Stick
quote:
Originally posted by FenderFred

There's nothing like a bit of pain & blood. 

Some have argued that regular practice with good technique, and understanding of theory will make you a banjo player.

This blood angle is interesting though.

Aug 9, 2021 - 6:17:25 AM
likes this

quote:

Kinda reminds me of this little scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnosk4tWrg

Edited by - FenderFred on 08/09/2021 06:19:26

Aug 9, 2021 - 6:58:08 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

Online Now

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:

Ed Parker, the founder of American Kenpo Karate was once asked why he didn't teach how to break boards.  His response was something like "When trees start attacking people, I'll teach how to break boards."   One day some thugs came into his dojo mouthing off how karate wasn't so tough and they were going to beat him up.  He calmly sat at his desk, pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and wrote "Recipe for Death".  Then he stood up took his stance, and they all left. 

there are no martial arts people in MMA....none at all. It is because it is all fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHw7yvmT3S0

I'm only about half way through the video, and I disagree with about 80% of what he says, but I don't understand your claim that there are no martial arts people in MMA.  You either have an odd definition of martial arts, or you don't understand the MMA. 

Anyone who defeats a practioner of a particular martial art, is using a martial art to do it - unless they use a gun. 

A student at the dojo where I studied was attacked by 3 men while walking home, drunk, from a bar.  His instincts came into play, and he defeated all three, with 1 running off, one on the ground in pain, and one dead.  He was found to be acting in self defense, and was not held responsible for the death - but it haunts him still.  His skills and ability, even while drunk, removed the life of another human being.

With great power comes great responsibility.

I agree with the philosophy stated in Karate Kid 2 - best defense, don't be there. 

Aug 9, 2021 - 7:19:47 AM
likes this

77 posts since 2/14/2021

This a very amusing forum. The rich guy who started it probably is a troll and is really enjoying the responses. All of you real people who responded gave responsible sensible advice and I applaud you. In my case, which is very much my own case, I don't react well to authority and lessons are no exception. I've tried to take workshop classes but though a lot of fun they just didn't take. I learn best from experience and social situations and yes from the internet. One guy I took workshop classes from and could not stand to be around has turned out to be my favorite internet source for banjo technique inspiration. So, I guess I agree with different strokes for different folks. What I bring to the equation is a pretty good musical ear but very marginal physical coordination. It takes both to be kind of good. Oh yes, I'm an OT open back banjo player.

Aug 9, 2021 - 8:58:30 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

Online Now

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DC5
quote:

there are no martial arts people in MMA....none at all. It is because it is all fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHw7yvmT3S0

I'm only about half way through the video, and I disagree with about 80% of what he says, but I don't understand your claim that there are no martial arts people in MMA.  You either have an odd definition of martial arts, or you don't understand the MMA. 

Anyone who defeats a practioner of a particular martial art, is using a martial art to do it - unless they use a gun. 

A student at the dojo where I studied was attacked by 3 men while walking home, drunk, from a bar.  His instincts came into play, and he defeated all three, with 1 running off, one on the ground in pain, and one dead.  He was found to be acting in self defense, and was not held responsible for the death - but it haunts him still.  His skills and ability, even while drunk, removed the life of another human being.

With great power comes great responsibility.

I agree with the philosophy stated in Karate Kid 2 - best defense, don't be there. 

wrestling and boxing, which are 99.99% of all moves in MMA, are not martial arts at all. There are rules-based tournaments in martial arts, where women fight each other for points, etc, but it is far from MMA.......miles away.

Judo and Jiu Jitsu (wrestling with choking moves) is indeed real, but the basic ideas  of martial arts training are 100% fake.

Again, I don't know what you mean by fake.  To me fake, means illusion - I'm a trained magician so that is where I come from.

"Mars was the Roman god of war and one of the patron gods of Rome itself. He was responsible for everything military, from warriors to weapons to marching music. Thus, martial arts are skills of combat and self-defense also practiced as sport. When martial law is declared, a country's armed forces take over the functions of the police."  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/martial

You are going to have to be clear on what you mean.  Professional wrestling is fake, but don't say that to a professional wrestler.  Greco-Roman wrestling is real.  It is a martial art. 

Aug 9, 2021 - 9:19:21 AM
like this

WTH? Back up, take a deep breath, and get back on topic.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  2   3   4  5  6   7   8  ...   Next Page   Last Page (10) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories