Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3  4   5   6  ...   Next Page   Last Page (10) 

Aug 5, 2021 - 1:25:30 PM
like this

1535 posts since 5/19/2018

Lessons, be it on a musical instrument, a sport or a language will get you way further and down more difficult paths than you could ever tackle alone.

I am a very big advocate for self teaching, to a point. If you want to break past your own limits, then a teacher or a lesson master will get you way further beyond any point you can reach on your own.

If you want to sound like a book or a u-tube video, than have at it. If you want to have your own voice and excel beyond others, you NEED someone who is well beyond your ability to save you wasted time on errors and poor technique.

Let’s put it this way, if folks could learn everything they needed on their own via free YouTube videos, we would see schools and universities disappearing.

Then again....seeing what is happening to the educational system in this country, maybe Buck has a point....

Aug 5, 2021 - 1:28:10 PM

682 posts since 8/14/2018

It is true there's a lot of good books and good and useful instructional stuff on the internets. I've used it, but I have also sprung for some in-person lessons, and I don't think it was a waste. It was a huge help getting started with clawhammer.

Also, almost no one here recommends expensive banjos as a first instrument for a beginner. That is kind of a straw man argument. Are expensive banjos always a waste? Well, I just plunked down a few months' savings for a Nechville Phantom, and do I regret it? F no, it is awesome.

Aug 5, 2021 - 1:39:12 PM
likes this

73 posts since 5/8/2021

I think what it comes down to is that Buck is the type of person who believes musicians/artists/teachers don't deserve to get paid for their work. He thinks "exposure" is all they should get.

Anyway, based on his bio, responses, and pictures, he's clearly a troll out to screw with us (or the most un-selfaware person I've every seen). Either way, can the admins just lock his account and be done with it?

My first response was way too harsh and I do apologize for that. Since my background is in music education (I'm sure I'm the WORST kind of person according to Buck), this post hit a bit of a sore spot.

Aug 5, 2021 - 1:40:22 PM
like this

7103 posts since 8/30/2004

Buck,
Cut it out and leave BHO to decent members who contribute positive posts, tabs etc. You have no "reasonable or decent" reason to be here. You are ridiculous and rude and obnoxious--go away and stop upsetting this dedicated forum for sincere people who want to help....Jack Baker

Originally posted by Buck the Banjo Player

Banjo lessons are a complete joke, they are simply not worth money, from ANYONE.

Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/05/2021 13:44:35

Aug 5, 2021 - 2:00:28 PM

Alex Z

USA

4523 posts since 12/7/2006

What the heck is going on?  Sounds like some schoolyard shouting match.  

Mr. Buck expresses an opinion.  Do I agree?  Does it matter if I agree or not?  There's a distinction between offering a different opinion -- which we do a lot on the BHO -- and feeling compelled to make the poster change his mind.

Does anyone including the poster think that what people do or not do for a living or how much money they have or don't have in their bank account or how well or badly they play or don't play the banjo have any relevance to the poster's opinion?

"I am rich, therefore I am right."  "I can't play the banjo worth beans, therefore I am wrong."  "I donate my time to the local homeless shelter with no pay, therefore . . . ." 

Meetcha in the schoolyard at 3 o'clock.  smiley

Aug 5, 2021 - 2:09:44 PM

1221 posts since 1/25/2017

quote:
Originally posted by overhere
quote:
Originally posted by SimonSlick

Did Earl take lessons?

Earl had family members and locals who played and taught things or at least Earl had the inviroment needed to do what he did. Like most of the original players access to those who played were all around....you couldnt help but being one of them eventually. But I will say, the love for the music played the biggest part.

I am in full agreement with your assessment. 

Aug 5, 2021 - 2:14:41 PM

Are banjo teachers accredited by some organization?

How does a beginner judge whether a teacher is great, bad, or just mediocre?

What does an hour lesson from a "good teacher" cost?

Aug 5, 2021 - 2:28:11 PM

Ha,
Well if folk instruments needed to be accredited there would be very little spontaneous music left. As to whether a teacher is good or not, most beginners get referrals from stores or friends. Most beginner students quickly know whether a teacher is helping them or nor. There is usually a "general local teacher" price depending where you live I guess....Jack

Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/05/2021 14:29:57

Aug 5, 2021 - 2:44:24 PM

So banjo teachers have no definitive standards or qualifications. Their abilities are determined by stores or friends. And they charge whatever everyone else in town is charging.

I'm thinking Buck may have a point here.

Aug 5, 2021 - 3:34:33 PM
likes this

573 posts since 1/28/2011

quote:
Originally posted by SimonSlick

So banjo teachers have no definitive standards or qualifications. Their abilities are determined by stores or friends. And they charge whatever everyone else in town is charging.

I think most of us have had some really poor school teachers at one time or another.  All school teachers had to meet the standards and qualifications you mention in order to get their credentials.  That doesn't mean they are capable teachers. It just means they passed the test and graduated.  Once they are in there and get tenure, they are hard to get rid of.  When you are assigned to their class you are stuck with them, whether you learn anything or not.  Not so with a banjo teacher.  The store and your friends will have a pretty good idea who the good banjo teachers are, just based on their reputation, and it is up to you to decide if you are learning anything.

Aug 5, 2021 - 3:54:54 PM

6264 posts since 10/13/2007

quote:
Originally posted by warpdrive

You know...
It doesnt take a genius or even a real bad student banjo picker or an experienced old side man to smell what the o.p. is shoveling.
If this was a few years ago id accuse you of being a TROLL and ask if your hangout name used to be stringbender.

I won't even dignify the lameness of the post with my opinion...more qualified posters have give it a professional opnion and until you show us your qualifications in from of a video performance to validate you post...
I move that you did start this thread to TROLL.

WARP!

Warp. You can see I gave your post a like (surprise not) but I think the troll that you mentioned who ran down Earl and Ronnie Stewart was String breaker and not string bender. Boy was he a handfull.

ken

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:01:14 PM

Simon,
Re-read my post. Let's not start with you now...C'mon this is getting childish...Jack

uote:Originally posted by SimonSlick

Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/05/2021 16:02:00

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:08:47 PM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

crying
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Baker
Buck,
Cut it out and leave BHO to decent members who contribute positive posts, tabs etc. You have no "reasonable or decent" reason to be here. You are ridiculous and rude and obnoxious--go away and stop upsetting this dedicated forum for sincere people who want to help....Jack Baker

Banjo lessons are a complete joke, they are simply not worth money, from ANYONE.

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:12:36 PM
likes this

chuckv97

Canada

59509 posts since 10/5/2013

FWIW, I had been playing about a year and a half when I went into a local music store to try out a banjo or two. I had a couple tunes down fairly well (I’d been a guitar finger picker for 6 years at this point) and after I played the store owner asked if I’d like to teach banjo ,, his teacher had just given his notice. I was taken aback but figured ok, I can use the spare change. Ok, so the store owner knew I had some education (I was attending university at the time) so he trusted my instincts as far as instruction and teacher comportment was involved. It worked out,,,,, but I’ve yet to see any former students on the Opry…..

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:29:09 PM

2814 posts since 11/15/2003

Thanks ken
I knew i ran the possibility of getting the handle wrong..but i knew the older members would remember and know who i was talking about...been a few years since we've had a troll wander into our midst...
Curious as to what might have befell this person to come here to spread there brand of sunshine

Warp!

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:33:36 PM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Conder

Lessons, be it on a musical instrument, a sport or a language will get you way further and down more difficult paths than you could ever tackle alone.

I am a very big advocate for self teaching, to a point. If you want to break past your own limits, then a teacher or a lesson master will get you way further beyond any point you can reach on your own.

If you want to sound like a book or a u-tube video, than have at it. If you want to have your own voice and excel beyond others, you NEED someone who is well beyond your ability to save you wasted time on errors and poor technique.

Let’s put it this way, if folks could learn everything they needed on their own via free YouTube videos, we would see schools and universities disappearing.

Then again....seeing what is happening to the educational system in this country, maybe Buck has a point....

the point is that there are plenty of free resources, and there are a number of low-life idiots hoping to make money giving lessons. If you are all about the banjo community, give the lessons for free, and get a REAL job for money

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:51:30 PM

Simon,
Re-read my post. Let's not start with you now...C'mon this is getting childish...Jack

uote:Originally posted by SimonSlick

Edited by - Jack Baker on 08/05/2021 16:52:18

Aug 5, 2021 - 4:53:06 PM

broken heartkiss
crying
quote:
Buck,

Aug 5, 2021 - 6:01:17 PM
likes this

15330 posts since 12/2/2005

I'll agree with the OP on this much: there are plenty of teachers out there who can't teach, regardless of whether they're good players or not. Sounds like he never ran across a good one.

But that's as far as I'll go. Yo, Buck - how would you feel about boarding an airliner piloted by someone who never actually flew a plane, but can grease every landing at Courchevel on Flight Simulator? How would you feel about oncology treatment from a doctor who never went to medical school, but who memorized every word on WebMD?

Playing the banjo is trivial by comparison, but the analogy still works. The Web has some good information. It also has some horrible information. And the Web will never be able to recognize when you embrace the latter, and bring it home.

Aug 5, 2021 - 6:15:50 PM
likes this

3620 posts since 7/12/2006

I will thank you Buck for one thing......you have awakened that fighting spirit that lives in every serious banjo player.we used to have a guy on the hangout called stringbreaker years ago who regularly did the same thing.my advice to you is...... dont overdo it.

Edited by - stanleytone on 08/05/2021 18:28:28

Aug 5, 2021 - 6:46:14 PM
like this

3620 posts since 7/12/2006

Whoa Buck! I see in your profile you list your interest as teaching. What gives? Free lessons?

Edited by - stanleytone on 08/05/2021 18:47:01

Aug 5, 2021 - 7:26:29 PM

193 posts since 5/21/2020

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland

I'll agree with the OP on this much: there are plenty of teachers out there who can't teach, 

There are a lot of great banjo players out there who don't have great teaching skills. I have paid good money just to try out their teaching methods only to discover they fell far short of my expectations. It is disappointing when this happens but the good news is I control my spending and if I feel I am not receiving the level of tuition  I am paying for I simply terminate the agreement and walk away. Over the years I have had several bad experiences where self proclaimed "teachers" proved not to live up to their own hype. We need to take a realistic view that the internet is simply a platform where anyone can create a website and claim to be a top notch teacher offering allsorts including Skype/Zoom or face to face instruction.  But at the end of the day If the "teacher" doesn't have the skills to teach then there is little point winge-ing about it here. All you can do is move on and find another teacher as I have through trial and error. I now study with several great teachers online who have advanced my knowledge and playing skills. I chat with them regularly and submit videos for feedback and they often reply with a video response. I often feel there is too much emphasis on the advice handed down on the BHO that Face to Face instruction is by far the best option. From personal experience I have not found that to be case for me.  But that's probably because the Face to Face teachers I had access to were simply great banjo players but didn't have the right skills to teach banjo.  There is a saying "Buyer Beware" that definitely applies to Banjo Students - If a teacher is willing to allow you free access to check out their teaching method - demonstrate their teaching skills - then that to my mind is fair and reasonable - the choice is down to the student whether they wish to pay to continue or not.  

Aug 5, 2021 - 8:53:14 PM
like this

2145 posts since 4/18/2006
Online Now

To quote the original poster: “there are a number of low-life idiots hoping to make money giving lessons. If you are all about the banjo community, give the lessons for free, and get a REAL job for money”

Just in case you weren’t aware, playing and teaching music is a real job. That’s how I, and basically all of my friends, have made a living for the past many years. Guess we’re just a bunch of “low-life idiots.” Give me a break. Unreal.  If you're all about the banjo community then support your favorite professional banjo players by paying for their services. 

Edited by - banjo1930 on 08/05/2021 20:54:13

Aug 5, 2021 - 8:54:51 PM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

quote:
Originally posted by banjo1930

To quote the original poster: “there are a number of low-life idiots hoping to make money giving lessons. If you are all about the banjo community, give the lessons for free, and get a REAL job for money”

Just in case you weren’t aware, playing and teaching music is a real job. That’s how I, and basically all of my friends, have made a living for the past many years. Guess we’re just a bunch of “low-life idiots.” Give me a break. Unreal.  If you're all about the banjo community then support your favorite professional banjo players by paying for their services. 

yup

Aug 6, 2021 - 3:14:48 AM

4360 posts since 12/6/2009

from another angle... the majority of "banjo students" are unteachable. Why? is because "they expect too much or didnt realize the dedicated involvement required. I don't know of statistics but many years ago when some would come to me I got the point where I would just say to them .....I can show you basics and things (tools) you'll need but I cant teach what it is you will never understand because you may not have the back ground needed or the music ability. Now having said that. I will also say I never wanted to become a teacher. I was always approached through word of mouth. The one thing I always noticed though was when i got those requests it was always after a spurt of fad events...ie Beverly hill billies....Deliverance, Bonnie and Clyde....etc....you could tell if it were useless even to begin. wasting time....I eventually just started saying no. I may have sounded like a snob but I knew if they failed...it was because I was a bad teacher ...not because of bad students. cough cough

oh and one more thing that used to make me stop and stare into space....a wanna be would say.. "oh, I play guitar and can play stairway to heaven".....

Edited by - overhere on 08/06/2021 03:18:10

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3  4   5   6  ...   Next Page   Last Page (10) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories