Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  7   8   9  10

Oct 15, 2021 - 1:37:38 PM
likes this

694 posts since 8/14/2018

It may be that there are not any good banjo teachers near you to give in person lessons. They aren't as easy to find as say, guitar or poano teachers, not by a long shot. It may be that a good teacher charges more than what you are willing to pay. They gotta make their rent, just like you, and other people might be willing to pay more. What is true for you isn't universally true for everyone. But there is good material on the web, and in books, so make do with what you can get.

Oct 15, 2021 - 1:42:26 PM
likes this

7150 posts since 8/30/2004

I advertise Zoom lessons on my Teacher page....Jack Baker

Originally posted by steve3
quote:

Edited by - Jack Baker on 10/15/2021 13:43:40

Oct 19, 2021 - 2:33:37 PM
like this

DickieM

USA

5 posts since 10/30/2019

So I'll chime in with my feedback. I am coming up on 24 months since I picked up the banjo...I'm a lefty, and had no prior experience with any string instrument.
I did the Jim Pankey 10 lessons on Youtube, And he is terrific !! I liked his approach, we didnt spend time learning tab or anything, and by about lesson 3-4 you are making sounds on the banjo that actually sound ok!! BUT- I, like many others hit that 'brick wall' I tried advancing beyond his 10 lessons by watching more videos.... and it just wasn't helping me advance. SO, 5 months ago I spent $ 4k on a great banjo, and decided if I'm spending that kind of dough I'd better do this the right way. I found an instructor online, and I have a one hour weekly ZOOM lesson. There is no doubt about it.....I am on the right path and am advancing.... Hell, even the wife, who barely tolerates my 'noise-making', has commented that, 'yeah, you are definitely sounding better'.... SO ya know its helping!! Lastly, No, ZOOM is not exactly the same as sitting in the same room- mostly due to the 2-3 second delay with dialogue etc. but i can deal with it! Oh, and did I mention, I'm having a blast! It's really beginning to be fun the better you get.... I'm beginning to feel like I actually 'belong here'.... Happy Picking!!

Oct 20, 2021 - 3:27:51 AM

4448 posts since 12/6/2009

Since a friend moved away back in late 60s ....I aint even seen a BG guitar player around this area let alone banjo player. There is no banjo parts supply places at all within 100 miles either. and the last time I went to guitar center for strings all they carried were one brand I dont like. now I have to order on line for VEGAs

Edited by - overhere on 10/20/2021 03:28:36

Oct 21, 2021 - 7:02:42 AM

79 posts since 12/12/2019

quote:
Originally posted by steve3

I live in Santa Fe and the nearest lessons person that responded was in Los lunas about 80 Miles one way.

That is supposed to be the best website and that was the only response

Online free at YouTube is better than driving 160 Miles for sure

I PMed you about making a banjo connection in the New Mexico area

Also check out

Darrin Hargis
2908 Eubank N.E.
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
United States
Intermediate Lessons
Beginner Lessons
Advanced Lessons
Bluegrass Lessons
Clawhammer Lessons
Folk Lessons

Edited by - TheWoodBoss on 10/21/2021 07:08:50

Oct 22, 2021 - 5:56:14 PM

2678 posts since 4/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by overhere

Since a friend moved away back in late 60s ....I aint even seen a BG guitar player around this area let alone banjo player. There is no banjo parts supply places at all within 100 miles either. and the last time I went to guitar center for strings all they carried were one brand I dont like. now I have to order on line for VEGAs

Just out of curiosity, where do you call home, & why do you choose to live there?

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  7   8   9  10

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories