Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Jul 31, 2021 - 6:11:37 AM
5 posts since 3/2/2021

Hello. I just picked up an older gumby head Goodtime II. It seems to be one of the originals. I'm going to need to replace the tuners as a couple of them slip, and the head is pretty beat up too - otherwise all seems well.

The bridge on it has a stylized GS stamped on it, the G is a bit larger than the S and the S is stamped over it and slightly lower than the G.

Does anyone know what type of bridge this is, and should I replace it with something like a Deering Smile bridge? I'm thinking of replacing the head anyhow with a black head and could get the kit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bob D

Jul 31, 2021 - 6:23:06 AM
like this
Players Union Member



5569 posts since 10/12/2009

It's a Gary Sosebee bridge.

Jul 31, 2021 - 8:14:08 AM
likes this



2914 posts since 11/29/2007

Sosobee's are good quality bridges. You shouldn't replace it if you are thinking it might not be as good as the Deering. Go by sound, not by the name or letters on the bridge.  As to changing the head, if you are pleased with the sound of the banjo as it is now set up, changing the head for appearance sake might not get you where you want to be.  You might be able to clean the head up a bit rather than changing it.  Just beware of changing a lot of stuff and thinking the banjo's sound won't change with them. 


Edited by - BobbyE on 07/31/2021 08:18:32

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories