Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Aug 12, 2021 - 4:30:38 PM

527 posts since 10/23/2003

quote:Yes.  people who got me into playing which was when I was workign 2 jobs out of the house said to keep the banjo within reach to pick it in spare moments when I was home (LOL: before I met my wife).  When I was first starting out with a good time, I would sometimes take the banjo to work, and practice in my lunch hour, and then since there was about 2 hours before my next job started,  I might take the banjo with me to a park near where my other job was and practice it.  The more you practice and pay attention to when you start, the better you will be.  And PLease take lessons, or if you cannot afford them or find them, find a local person or someone yu can go online with who can monitor your progress and answer your questions.  The stuff you start out with, no matter what form of banjo playing you will get into, is always the most important. 23 years after getting my first banjo,  I still work on getting the basic picking pattern or the basic claw hammer strokes down right.   
Originally posted by jacot23
quote:
Originally posted by struggle_bus

And keep it in its case. I know we all want to display our instruments, but really, it should live in its case when you're not playing it.

May I ask why?

I'm much less likely to play it at all if I have to get it out of a case. I work from home though and leave my main one on a stand next to my desk so I can grab it and play 10 minutes here and there.

Aug 12, 2021 - 4:40:09 PM

quote:I had that exact stand.  In fact if you see the movie "The Librarian and the Banjo"  you can see me in this very room with that stand.  I found that it was much too unstable, especially for my Tubaphone and other banjos.  I had to ditch it when I had too many problems with it.  It isnt steady either if you have to use it on stage performing.  I tried to use it once at a banjo history presentation where I had to use several banjos and it did not do so well.  I like the stands that are designed for concert violinists to use. in general.  They seem to work with all sizes of banjos both RBs and Open backs.   For playing out for the Tubaphone and my RB I use these wooden structured stands designed for Bluegrass banjos.   But I found the stand you have there to be too unstable to trust my banjos on.
Originally posted by hbick2

Get one of these. They are almost impossible to knock over. Plus, they give you an excuse to buy two more banjos.

Aug 12, 2021 - 4:42:51 PM

quote:Well, if you play out or got and take lessons, you need a portable stand, a swing wont do it.  The stadnard stands designed for Violinists to use work with most open back banjos  and fold up nicely.  A swing means you can have the banjo ona  stand only in one place in your house.
Originally posted by YellowSkyBlueSun

Just get a string swing instead of a stand. No case, no worry about a broken banjo. And it's a great wall decoration.

As far as setup, I run through a standard list of things twice a year when the season changes. Head tension checked, strings changed, fretboard/nut cleaned thoroughly, neck and resonator polished, metal parts polished, co-rod tension and neck relief checked. I typically don't need to adjust the co-rods or neck relief but I still check twice a year to make sure it's in the right spot.

Aug 12, 2021 - 4:47:08 PM
likes this

quote:  My first banjo was a goodtime basic model 22 years ago. It was a good banjo and I would be still playing it if it had not been stolen even though I have some nice early 20th and late 19th century Boston banjos, a nice Enoch, and my trusty Gold tone WL-250 and a basic RC dirty 30s RB.   That is a good basic banjo.  Like all banjos setup, especially bridge placement is key.   The banjo you can afford, is the best banjo for you.  But realize, like Steve here, that banjo is just fyour first.  I know only 2 peope of the hundreds of banjoists I have known who can live life with just one banjo.  I must say one of them his only banjo is the Orpheum banjo Charlie Poole played before he got his Mastertone,
Originally posted by davidppp

Steve Mizar :

I bought a new Goodtime soon after they first came out and another one used, a few years later -- to convert to partial fretless. I acquired four more (new) during the past decade. The purpose of this seeming extravagance is explained at its.caltech.edu/~politzer/. Heads got swapped out, tensions readjusted, monitored carefully with a DrumDial. Except for a little initial stretching and settling in after re-adjusting, head tension was always very stable -- without any re-tightening of the hooks.

The contrast with other people's experience is interesting. Indeed, I've played 19th Century instruments with mismatched hardware that is funky. But maybe Deering & Co. know a thing or two about banjo construction and produce quality instruments, irrespective of the level of decoration and other design variations.

Aug 12, 2021 - 6:29:01 PM

9 posts since 7/17/2021

Thank you Tony, I really appreciate all the advice I can get..

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories