Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

Jul 28, 2021 - 8:59:11 AM

35 posts since 7/26/2021

quote:
Originally posted by Eric A
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan E

I found an RK-35 local for $725 and offered $670. That's as high as my wife would let me go (it's all the credit card points we've racked up.. haha). Hopefully the seller will accept the offer!

Scrounge up all the loose change in the house to make this deal happen.  My wife always has at least 5-10 bucks in change just in her purse alone.  Couch cushions.   Car cupholders.  Borrow from your kids if you have some.  Good Luck!

I just hope if they don't accept the offer they will counter and not just ignore me.

Jul 28, 2021 - 9:12:43 AM
like this

1316 posts since 9/6/2019

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eric A
quote:

I found an RK-35 local for $725 and offered $670. That's as high as my wife would let me go (it's all the credit card points we've racked up.. haha). Hopefully the seller will accept the offer!

Scrounge up all the loose change in the house to make this deal happen.  My wife always has at least 5-10 bucks in change just in her purse alone.  Couch cushions.   Car cupholders.  Borrow from your kids if you have some.  Good Luck!

I just hope if they don't accept the offer they will counter and not just ignore me.

Do what I always do. Spend the extra to get the banjo and on the way home from picking it up buy a cheesecake. When you walk in make sure the wife sees the cheesecake first and, if she's like mine, she won't even notice that you picked up a banjo. Then you can leave it in the case for a couple weeks and when she asks you just tell her "yeah, the guy accepted my offer and I picked it up the other day".

I have a dozen guns in my safe that my wife won't find out about for at least another yearlaugh

Jul 28, 2021 - 7:51:33 PM
like this

35 posts since 7/26/2021

quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy
Do what I always do. Spend the extra to get the banjo and on the way home from picking it up buy a cheesecake. When you walk in make sure the wife sees the cheesecake first and, if she's like mine, she won't even notice that you picked up a banjo. Then you can leave it in the case for a couple weeks and when she asks you just tell her "yeah, the guy accepted my offer and I picked it up the other day".

I have a dozen guns in my safe that my wife won't find out about for at least another yearlaugh

I decided to buy at the original asking price - I told the seller I would buy it for his asking price before hearing back from him about my original offer. Not the best "business" decision, but I had a feeling he would ignore my offer unless the listing lasted a while, which I was sure wouldn't happen. I chose to do that because I felt it was a fair price and was worried it would get snatched up... I did this without my wife's explicit consent... BUT I  told her after I made the decision. I am thankful money isn't really an issue in our relationship and I maintained my integrity by not deceiving her... haha.

So unless some unforeseen circumstance happens, I'll be the proud new owner of an RK-R35 tomorrow evening!

I prefer the sound of the RK-R36 based on this video, but I know I'll be happy with the 35 and I'm confident in my decision getting the 35 now rather than wait for a deal on the 36.

Edited by - Nathan E on 07/28/2021 19:52:41

Jul 28, 2021 - 8:18:40 PM

ChunoTheDog

Canada

1044 posts since 8/9/2019

Nathan congrats, that banjo will serve you well.

I haven't had the chance to hear a 35 in person but from what I can tell browsing youtube RK35 samples, you got yourself a whole lot of banjo for the money. They sound good.

Enjoy!!

Jul 28, 2021 - 8:32:03 PM

35 posts since 7/26/2021

quote:
Originally posted by ChunoTheDog

Nathan congrats, that banjo will serve you well.

I haven't had the chance to hear a 35 in person but from what I can tell browsing youtube RK35 samples, you got yourself a whole lot of banjo for the money. They sound good.

Enjoy!!

Thank you! I was hesitant to post that before I actually had it in hand. But the seller seems like a stand-up guy so I don't see the sale falling through.

Jul 29, 2021 - 6:08:13 AM
likes this

YellowSkyBlueSun

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

421 posts since 5/11/2021

$750 is a great deal for a RK-35. You'll love it.

Jul 29, 2021 - 5:15:22 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

RB00

USA

890 posts since 3/10/2006

Looks like you got yourself an absolutely fabulous deal on that banjo!! Let us know how you like it!

Jul 29, 2021 - 5:54:53 PM

35 posts since 7/26/2021

quote:
Originally posted by RB00

Looks like you got yourself an absolutely fabulous deal on that banjo!! Let us know how you like it!

Made it home and I haven't been able to play it yet. It's my wife's turn for now, haha

Jul 29, 2021 - 6:00:49 PM
Players Union Member

RB00

USA

890 posts since 3/10/2006

I am mightily impressed!!

Jul 29, 2021 - 8:14:35 PM
Players Union Member

Helix

USA

14627 posts since 8/30/2006

So what's your take on the Gold Tone BG-250 I can get for under $550?

It's one of the better banjos at that price point.

Grab the RK because both banjos are candidates for one of my rims later,  great hardware.

I have two aluminum orphans that are set up for bluegrass.

Jul 30, 2021 - 8:54:35 PM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

no kidding, get a brand new Recording king, a cheap one like an RK-03.

It is VERY playable and has a wood ring tone, it is absolute perfection for $200 at guitar center

expensive old banjos are a complete joke unless they have been kept up by a total nut case.

Whatever you do, do not get a 17lb tone ring resonator banjo as your first instrument, that is a disaster for learning.

guitarcenter.com/Recording-Kin...=4WWRWXGP

Jul 31, 2021 - 7:35:05 AM

527 posts since 10/23/2003

quote:I have been playing the banjo 22 years now, and own I guess 6 5 open back banjos including some quite nice Fairbanks and Vega banjos.  I bought a bottom level RK "dirty thirties" resonator to have a banjo that approximated the resnator banjos broke black and white Southern musicians owned from the late 30s to the 1950s.  RK models these banjos after the mail order or chain store brand banjos produced in that era, not after the top Gibsons.   I continue to be pleased with the quality of this banjo as a fun instrument.  Sometimes I dont want to put it down and get to practicing some tune I need to play on my Fairbanks, Vega, or Kevin Enoch.   Resonator banjos are expensive and are feats of serious musical instrument making technology.  Get a basic RK.  I wouldnt spend more money than you plan, because you dont know if you will take to banjo playing.     Then you should save up,  remortgage your house, sell one of your children, and get a worthy banjo
Originally posted by Banjonewguy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowSkyBlueSun

Avoid the BG-250F, it's not a great deal even at 550. If you can stretch your budget to 750-800 you should buy a used RK-35/36.

Best option and it's within $550 shipped: Buy a Recording King RK-25 ... Final answer.

I'll definitely research the RK-25 a bit more, thanks!

It sounds like you have some experience with the BG-250F. What didn't you like about it?

I'll tell you from experience, because I was where you are when I started off looking more at budget than banjo, I would stretch out a bit and go for the RK-25, 35, or 36. If you just want to play at home any of these will be all the banjo you will need. If you go cheap odds are that you will be frustrated and looking to upgrade within a year, maybe less. I started with a RK-R20 and was ordering a RK-35 within a few months. The good thing is that I sold the R-20 for what I paid for it so I didn't lose anything.

Jul 31, 2021 - 7:40:58 AM

527 posts since 10/23/2003

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Ea

My own experience starting out on banjos is that banjo players are pretty giving and generous to someone who really wants to learn to play.  Take lessons, and go to local bluegrass events event if you have to drive far.  I benefited from a very good banjo player who got on the lookout for a better banjo for me to own at a price I could afford then once I advanced well enough to show I was serious.  Very often in either bluegrass or old time circles the word is out that some young kid or broke retired person learning the banjo needs a better instrument, and the network of pickers will be mobilized.  Every time I go into a local music store that sells many used instruments, I still have the habit of going through the cheap guitars and banjos just to see if there is anything I can recommend if such a need comes up, especially for somene who does not have much money.    Now that you can get out a little,  get to know people.  I played guitar since I was 13 and didnt play banjo until my early 50s, but  I continue to be surprised with how kind, giving and generous even some of the best banjo players on Earth are to people starting out with the banjo..   I continue to be shocked at how generous and giving banjo players of all kinds are to someone who wants to learn the banjo.   Now that people can get out, the best thing you can do is get to where some banjo pickers are and let them know.   You would be surprised with what help you will get.  And you will meet some fine people.

Aug 2, 2021 - 6:20:04 AM

61 posts since 7/30/2013

The RK-R20 Songster is a good budget banjo by Recording King... nicely finished, I have one and have been pleased with it. They run around $450-$500 new, pretty mahogany gloss finish, tone ring, inlaid headstock.... a good starter instrument.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories