Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

700
Banjo Lovers Online


Jul 20, 2021 - 2:26:17 PM
58039 posts since 12/14/2005

Bought a used trailer.
The jack is so badly rusted, I can scarcely turn the handle AT ALL.

Sprayed it with WD40 and with Power Blaster, into the OIL hole, and as best I could around the gap between the inner & outer pipes.

How would YOU try free it up?

I thought of smacking it with a hammer, pushing the crank as far as it would go, and smacking it again, but I'm not sure which way to crank for DOWN.

Jul 20, 2021 - 2:52:53 PM

Brian T

Canada

18540 posts since 6/5/2008
Online Now

Some sort of rust dissolver like oxalic acid (used a lot by people restoring antique tools.)
They do stuff like overnight soaks.
Tapping and turning in both directions helps to break the caked rust.

Use a bottle torch and heat (to expand) the outer metal. Tap and twist as well.

Jul 20, 2021 - 3:02:47 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

9337 posts since 6/5/2011

I've had good results with diesel fuel.... applied liberally, or soaked in it if you can position it..   This site https://www.dieselbombers.com/shade-tree-pro-mechanics-fabrication/105884-homemade-penetrating-oil.html says Acetone:ATF 50:50 beats commercial preparations.  And a few judicious smacks with a hammer surely won't hurt ...but that's hammer, not post maul.

As  for up/down, I think clock-wise is generally up.   [One sure fire way to find out which is down is to find which is up and then crank it t'other way.  cheeky ]

Edit: Yep, like Brian said heat from a torch is good, too.

Edited by - Owen on 07/20/2021 15:04:23

Jul 20, 2021 - 5:57:37 PM
like this

oly

USA

1449 posts since 5/27/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

I've had good results with diesel fuel.... applied liberally, or soaked in it if you can position it..   This site https://www.dieselbombers.com/shade-tree-pro-mechanics-fabrication/105884-homemade-penetrating-oil.html says Acetone:ATF 50:50 beats commercial preparations.  And a few judicious smacks with a hammer surely won't hurt ...but that's hammer, not post maul.

As  for up/down, I think clock-wise is generally up.   [One sure fire way to find out which is down is to find which is up and then crank it t'other way.  cheeky ]

Edit: Yep, like Brian said heat from a torch is good, too.


Just don;t do the torch after the diesel fuel or the acetone

Jul 20, 2021 - 9:21:17 PM

57 posts since 6/15/2021

Can you remove the jack from the tongue? Like use a car jack and some blocks of wood to raise the tongue and support it with the jack off. Having it off gives you more options like getting some penetrating oil in from the bottom.

Or just replacing it. A Bulldog brand jack isn’t painfully expensive.

Jul 21, 2021 - 7:16:19 AM

58039 posts since 12/14/2005

quote:
Originally posted by oly
quote:
Originally posted by Owen

I've had good results with diesel fuel.... applied liberally, or soaked in it if you can position it..   This site https://www.dieselbombers.com/shade-tree-pro-mechanics-fabrication/105884-homemade-penetrating-oil.html says Acetone:ATF 50:50 beats commercial preparations.  And a few judicious smacks with a hammer surely won't hurt ...but that's hammer, not post maul.

As  for up/down, I think clock-wise is generally up.   [One sure fire way to find out which is down is to find which is up and then crank it t'other way.  cheeky ]

Edit: Yep, like Brian said heat from a torch is good, too.


Just don;t do the torch after the diesel fuel or the acetone


Umm, why not?

 

Oh yeah, THAT!

Jul 21, 2021 - 7:35:07 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

13753 posts since 5/24/2005

I always try the spray stuff, but often resort to the heat and tap method. And you have already been warned of those volatiles still lingering down in there. Time is your friend when dealing with stuck things. Brad...

Then afterall, when it breaks, I go buy the new one. ;-)

Edited by - rinemb on 07/21/2021 07:36:31

Jul 21, 2021 - 7:41:39 AM

Owen

Canada

9337 posts since 6/5/2011

Brad: ".... those volatiles still lingering down in there."

My logic (?) says there's nothing like getting the heat to where it will really do some good!!  wink

Jul 21, 2021 - 7:52:11 AM
like this

133 posts since 4/14/2021

How would I free it up....
After trying what you did, and if I couldn't disassemble it (most time they can be disassembled), I'd simply bust out out the angle grinder and/or cuttin' torch, blast it off and replace it. They are available new really cheap quality to good quality. Bolt in, weld in, or clamp on.

But then, I'm a metal fab guy with a b!tchin' set of tools. For me it's easy. And I have little tolerance for uncooperative metal pieces!

Jul 21, 2021 - 9:49:41 AM

6822 posts since 9/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Lawless

How would I free it up....
After trying what you did, and if I couldn't disassemble it (most time they can be disassembled), I'd simply bust out out the angle grinder and/or cuttin' torch, blast it off and replace it. They are available new really cheap quality to good quality. Bolt in, weld in, or clamp on.

But then, I'm a metal fab guy with a b!tchin' set of tools. For me it's easy. And I have little tolerance for uncooperative metal pieces!


thats why GOD invented the blue wrench !!!!!

Jul 21, 2021 - 9:56:29 AM

133 posts since 4/14/2021

quote:
Originally posted by 1935tb-11
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Lawless

How would I free it up....
After trying what you did, and if I couldn't disassemble it (most time they can be disassembled), I'd simply bust out out the angle grinder and/or cuttin' torch, blast it off and replace it. They are available new really cheap quality to good quality. Bolt in, weld in, or clamp on.

But then, I'm a metal fab guy with a b!tchin' set of tools. For me it's easy. And I have little tolerance for uncooperative metal pieces!


thats why GOD invented the blue wrench !!!!!


Dang straight!

Jul 21, 2021 - 10:07:22 AM

6822 posts since 9/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Lawless
quote:
Originally posted by 1935tb-11
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Lawless

How would I free it up....
After trying what you did, and if I couldn't disassemble it (most time they can be disassembled), I'd simply bust out out the angle grinder and/or cuttin' torch, blast it off and replace it. They are available new really cheap quality to good quality. Bolt in, weld in, or clamp on.

But then, I'm a metal fab guy with a b!tchin' set of tools. For me it's easy. And I have little tolerance for uncooperative metal pieces!


thats why GOD invented the blue wrench !!!!!


Dang straight!


nothing prettier then a thick piece of cold rolled bending to your will under a rosebud !!!!!!

Jul 21, 2021 - 10:11:14 AM

Owen

Canada

9337 posts since 6/5/2011

It looks to me like yous ^^ guys are tryin' to spoil Mike G.'s "fun."  Yer probably the type of guys that wouldn't weld a sprocket onto the shaft in one last-ditch attempt to stave off an "according to Hoyle" repair. cheeky

Edited by - Owen on 07/21/2021 10:12:42

Jul 21, 2021 - 10:54:58 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

13753 posts since 5/24/2005

I often watch drilling rig roughnecks taking apart a mud pump shaft to replace the rubber. It usually takes 2. They put shaft deep into an open end of the pipe rack built of 4-1/2" 16.6# pipe, then bite onto shaft with a 36" pipe wrench, add a 8' cheater pipe onto the wrench, then while one is bouncing his full weight on the cheater, the other beats on it with a sledge hammer. A third might bring in the weed burner to hold some heat on it.
Mike, you may need some help! ;-) Brad

Jul 21, 2021 - 11:40:57 AM

133 posts since 4/14/2021

Well, if he needs a 36" pipe wrench, I have one of those too, although it's got a corner chipped off the lower jaw. Probably due to mis-use by the operator and there was most likely a cheater bar involved.
But that sucker be heavy! I haven't used it in a lot of years, as these days, I prefer a bit more finesse. Besides, puttin' that kind of force on a tongue jack would probably twist it like a pretzel.

Jul 21, 2021 - 5:19:07 PM
likes this

58039 posts since 12/14/2005

The whole assembly is held to the tongue by a single pin, comes right off, so, no problem with tension on the leg affecting the trailer assembly.
I'll try a propane torch.
Might even have a plastic bin big enough to lay it down in, and soak it in diesel fuel.
And I'll be careful to get rid of the fuel before I try the torch again.
Because, well.....

Jul 31, 2021 - 9:54:40 AM

Owen

Canada

9337 posts since 6/5/2011

...... is it still soaking?   

[I'll be a little disappointed IF you got to the point of "enough of this noise" and bought a new one. wink ]

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1875