Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Aug 23, 2021 - 3:01:29 PM
like this

5638 posts since 3/6/2006

I don’t think I care what the pros use. We all have ears. I’m not going to sound like JD no matter what strings I have on. Tone preferences are a bit of a moving target - you have to keep experimenting and I guarantee you the pros are still doing that too. But don’t think that the perfect strings and picks are going to fix your bad technique.

Aug 24, 2021 - 10:42:19 AM

74951 posts since 5/9/2007

Great point,Laurence.I want people to know it's me playing when they hear it.
I like distinctive singing,too.
The best players and singers put themselves out front,in my opinion.

Aug 24, 2021 - 10:47:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brententz

And Steve unless you have some documentation of whether the list of pros would show a wide field of variables than thats just an assumption. It could be a fact but need to see some reliable sources. Not saying it's not possible but i wouldn't be so dogmatic about todays pros preference without some data to back it up. Certainly there would be a lot of differences but which way do the majority lean was sort of the OP's question. Masters in 1984 showed a leaning towards lighter. What do todays pros preference "lean" towards? Data? Proof?

And Bret...where's your proof?

I believe everyone figures out what they like no matter what anyone else is doing.

It's simply a matter of settling in on what we like the best.Doesn't have much of anything to do with anyone else's preferences.

Aug 24, 2021 - 2:07:46 PM

1566 posts since 11/17/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Josephpetrie

Hi,

I am looking to understand the specific reason why pros are supposed to prefer thicker picks and heavier gauge strings?

Where did you get that idea?

FWIW - After some experimentation I have settled with light gauge strings

That's what we all do.

Edited by - OldNavyGuy on 08/24/2021 14:08:34

Aug 24, 2021 - 5:25:07 PM

234 posts since 3/2/2013

quote:
Originally posted by steve davis
quote:
Originally posted by brententz

And Steve unless you have some documentation of whether the list of pros would show a wide field of variables than thats just an assumption. It could be a fact but need to see some reliable sources. Not saying it's not possible but i wouldn't be so dogmatic about todays pros preference without some data to back it up. Certainly there would be a lot of differences but which way do the majority lean was sort of the OP's question. Masters in 1984 showed a leaning towards lighter. What do todays pros preference "lean" towards? Data? Proof?

And Bret...where's your proof?

I believe everyone figures out what they like no matter what anyone else is doing.

It's simply a matter of settling in on what we like the best.Doesn't have much of anything to do with anyone else's preferences.

Wow you're really hung up on this. I did'nt say one way or the other what todays pro's like nor was i trying to prove what they like so that being the case im not sure why you asked me for proof. I did however ask what the majority of pro's lean towards since that was sort of the OP's question even tho he assumed most like heavy. I'm merely asking for proof that MOST pro's like heavy. Steve you really need to go back and read original question...he doesn't care what you or any other pro likes. You keep saying what you like...he wanted to know why more pros seem to like heavy picks & strings. I'm so done with this. 

Edited by - brententz on 08/24/2021 17:32:52

Aug 25, 2021 - 7:50:43 AM
likes this

Well we won't know until we ask each "pro" what they use and then figure what the average is.
What is it I have to do?

Sep 15, 2021 - 3:11:31 AM

687 posts since 2/15/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Buck the Banjo Player
quote:
Originally posted by steve davis

I don't like my banjo to be too bright.
I rarely play close to the bridge,preferring the deeper,thicker tones when picked halfway to the neck.

tune to F C F A C for deep tones on any banjo

F tuning on certain banjos is a real sweet spot.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories