Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   1  2

May 25, 2021 - 7:45:49 AM

3243 posts since 10/17/2009

I think might been due to Covid... lack of jams and gigs... lots of folks bought interfaces or mics, with some idea of telemusic; or maybe getting into home recording. But realized it was more complicated than they thought, or really didn't have interest... so mostly sat unused.

May 26, 2021 - 12:28:44 PM

craig wood

Canada

63 posts since 9/11/2018

Craig here ,I'm a plectrum player. I was listening to Clinch Mountain..so well done..that brought me here..
i use an iMac..2012..Logic, and most important a pair of condenser microphones..SE1A's
Audio is always stereo..i have posted two songs with this set up.
Im coming Virginia ,and Struttin with some BBQ..Check it out..

May 26, 2021 - 12:38:18 PM

craig wood

Canada

63 posts since 9/11/2018

Sorry ..using Scarlett 18i20..Excellent interface..more than i need..All their products i believe are excellent.

May 26, 2021 - 2:14:27 PM

Thor

USA

4229 posts since 7/5/2003

banjoy
I feel your pain. Also been using Macs since the 80s.
My rig is a 2010 12-core Mac Pro...
I'm still using GarageBand 6.0.5 installed on a Lion partition - it runs fine on El Cap.
I refuse to use any newer GB, and have no desire to upgrade past El Cap. For 30 years, I was an early adopter of the OS releases (including OS X beta), and upgraded my hardware every 2ish years or so. No more. =(

I was using an Art OPL mic tube preamp with an MXL 990 mic, but it stopped working after Snow Leopard/Lion. This was an EXCELLENT and reasonably priced pro setup.

The built-in mic in my Cinema Display works good enough for my GB dabbling these days.

amazon.com/MXL-990-Condenser-M...0002GIRP2

May 27, 2021 - 11:10:15 AM

198 posts since 6/25/2016

quote:
Originally posted by DRH

I almost ordered a Scarlett 2i2 last year after seeing several good reviews. They were way behind in production so I decided to wait.

Now I'm seeing a lot of 2i2's on craigslist. Makes me wonder if there is something about them that didn't show up in the reviews. Anybody care to comment on their experience with a 2I2?

I don't have a Scarlett, but I do have its "big brother", a Clarett 4pre-USB.  It's basically a Scarlett with upgraded mic pre's (see Doug Knecht's post, above).  It's solid as a rock, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Scarlett, new or used. There is a gen3 version, so if you buy it used check to see which version it is.

BTW, it used to come with a pretty impressive bunch of software, including  a DAW, some plug-ins, etc. which could be very useful for you.  I bought my Clarett reconditioned, and it came with the full software suite.

May 27, 2021 - 12:02:21 PM

DRH

USA

653 posts since 5/29/2018

quote:
Originally posted by loonsailor
quote:

I don't have a Scarlett, but I do have its "big brother", a Clarett 4pre-USB.  It's basically a Scarlett with upgraded mic pre's (see Doug Knecht's post, above).  It's solid as a rock, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Scarlett, new or used. There is a gen3 version, so if you buy it used check to see which version it is.

IIRC the gen3 Scarletts have improved preamps.  Perhaps they are the same as the Clarett now.  I will have to go back and find those reviews.  One said the preamps were the biggest improvement.

May 27, 2021 - 2:01:16 PM

DRH

USA

653 posts since 5/29/2018

quote:
Originally posted by banjoak

I think might been due to Covid... lack of jams and gigs... lots of folks bought interfaces or mics, with some idea of telemusic; or maybe getting into home recording. But realized it was more complicated than they thought, or really didn't have interest... so mostly sat unused.

You might be right.  I've seen several home recording items on craigslist lately, most listed as like new and wishfully priced.

May 29, 2021 - 8:20:47 PM
likes this

11 posts since 7/14/2007

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (8 inputs) which I love, and my buddy who records classical guitar uses a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (one XLR combo input, one 1/4" instrument input), which is also great. I'd be surprised if there were something wrong with the 2i2. However if you're recording one instrument at a time, the Solo is all you need, and it's cheaper.

I have to say I've tried a large diaphragm condenser, small diaphragm condenser and dynamic on banjo, and as far as I'm concerned it's a wash. I'd start with the SM57 and just get used to recording.

I use Sonar (Cakewalk) as a PC DAW, but I'd vote for Audacity as having the shallowest learning curve. Audacity actually has an amazing suite of plugins, but they're not real flexible. You probably know this, but whatever DAW you use doesn't influence the sound you get - sound is all a function of mic and preamp and A-D convertors. The DAW is just a data management program.

May 29, 2021 - 8:26:18 PM

11 posts since 7/14/2007

Oh yeah - you get Abelton free with a Scarlett, not to mention Focusrite Red EQ and compressor plugins.

May 30, 2021 - 9:11:29 AM

34 posts since 7/16/2013

Since you already have a decent mic, I'd focus on recording capability.  The condenser vs. dynamic mic discussions can go on forever--I have a Rode and a Shure and just use whichever works in a particular situation.   I started with a Scarlett 4i4, but found it much more complicated than I needed, so sold it and bought an Audient id4--much easier to manage and works really well.  I only need to record 2 channels at a time (banjo and vocal), so the id4 suits my needs.  I also started with Audacity some years ago, but then switched to Reaper--great product with extraordinary support from the vendor and the community.  Lots of filter options as well.  Well worth the $60.  Reaper allows you to add tracks so you can record tracks sequentially.  I will occasionally use Band in a Box (BIAB) to add a rhythm and bass guitar and percussion tracks, and BIAB files can be imported directly in to Reaper.  With those in place I then record my banjo and vocal tracks.  For open mics, I render BIAB backing tracks into an MP3 file, then upload to my iPhone and use ShowOne as a "virtual" band to back me up.

Another option to consider is OBS--great for video recording but does audio well, and free.  With both Reaper and OBS it is pretty easy to get started--after my time with both, I probably use 25% of what both have available, but still get great results.  I would be concerned about the age of your Mac--processor speeds and memory are very important for recording and even with a $1000 budget you might consider upgrading (not sure you'd find a decent Mac in that price range, but PC's would fit easily).  

May 30, 2021 - 9:50:31 PM

3243 posts since 10/17/2009

quote:
Originally posted by NJBanjoDr

I would be concerned about the age of your Mac--processor speeds and memory are very important for recording and even with a $1000 budget you might consider upgrading (not sure you'd find a decent Mac in that price range, but PC's would fit easily).  

Probably not so much as folks think... but depends on what you are doing.

For what most folks are after in home recording, most older stuff should be just fine. Might be a problem if trying to run lot's of processor intensive plugins, effects, midi, sampling, loops.

Jul 18, 2021 - 4:33:52 PM

TimInce

USA

4 posts since 3/10/2021

Thanks for the discussion, but I need your help. I decided to make a professional recording studio. I have looked at several options, but since I am not an expert in this field, I decided to ask your advice here or personally apply to a company for the organization of high-quality sound. What system should be installed for such a task?

Jul 19, 2021 - 4:37:35 AM

TimInce

USA

4 posts since 3/10/2021

quote:
Originally posted by TimInce

Thanks for the discussion, but I need your help. I decided to make a professional recording studio. I have looked at several options, but since I am not an expert in this field, I decided to ask your advice here or personally apply to a company for the organization of high-quality sound. What system should be installed for such a task? Can you advise a company that can arrange this for me? I do not want to do it and want a finished project. I was advised to contact a company(https://www.ontourevents.co.uk/conference-audio-visual-hire). Do you know anything about this company?

And even if you do it yourself, what can you advise?

Jul 20, 2021 - 11:06:45 PM

198 posts since 6/25/2016

quote:
quote:

Thanks for the discussion, but I need your help. I decided to make a professional recording studio. I have looked at several options, but since I am not an expert in this field, I decided to ask your advice here or personally apply to a company for the organization of high-quality sound. What system should be installed for such a task? Can you advise a company that can arrange this for me? I do not want to do it and want a finished project. I was advised to contact a company(https://www.ontourevents.co.uk/conference-audio-visual-hire). Do you know anything about this company?

And even if you do it yourself, what can you advise?

If you want to find somebody to build / equip a "professional" studio for you, you'd be better off looking someplace like https://gearspace.com/board/ (used to be called gearslutz).  If you post there, be sure and say what kind of projects you want to do in the studio, budget, etc.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories