Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

731
Banjo Lovers Online


Apr 20, 2021 - 1:12:47 PM
11802 posts since 1/15/2005

Remember about eight or ten years ago with the government approved the release of around 100,000 military M1911 & M1911A1 pistols through public sale. The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is now starting their second round of sales. The registration to enter the lottery ended at the end of February and about 3 weeks ago your lottery number was emailed to those that entered. My brother got a low number and has already received his pistol. My number was about 8,000 numbers higher, so I should get a call this Fall if there are any left from this lot. The good part is they are selling them for about half the price that you would have to pay at a retail outlet!

Apr 20, 2021 - 2:59:10 PM

figmo59

USA

33154 posts since 3/5/2008

I did...not.

Apr 20, 2021 - 3:42:06 PM

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

10936 posts since 2/22/2007
Online Now

Civilian Markmanship Program. What a concept! Yes, non-Americans around the world, once upon a time it was considered a good and proper thing for US citizens to own and be proficient with the weapons of the individual foot soldier, including the mighty M-1 Garand, and so they set up a program to sell surplus weapons to the general public. It is a relic from the recent past when the government did not fear it's own citizens.

John, what was your brother's pistol's condition upon arrival? Is it very loose? Did it arrive dirty?

Apr 20, 2021 - 3:45:01 PM

2273 posts since 3/29/2008

Do you reckon one of you could explain what the CMP is? (in terms a Brit might understand, please...wink)

Apr 20, 2021 - 4:24:22 PM
likes this

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

10936 posts since 2/22/2007
Online Now

I thought that I just did, but here is the wiki  CMP wiki

Apr 20, 2021 - 9:23:20 PM
likes this

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

Civilian Markmanship Program. What a concept! Yes, non-Americans around the world, once upon a time it was considered a good and proper thing for US citizens to own and be proficient with the weapons of the individual foot soldier, including the mighty M-1 Garand, and so they set up a program to sell surplus weapons to the general public. It is a relic from the recent past when the government did not fear it's own citizens.

John, what was your brother's pistol's condition upon arrival? Is it very loose? Did it arrive dirty?


Bill ..... my brother's was in really good shape.  He got the "Service" grade  ($1050) which is the top of the line.  The next grade is "Field" grade ($950) and finally "Rack" grade ($850).  All of them are serviceable and have been gone over by Army armorers prior to them being boxed and stored.  Many of them have been re-parkerized and possibly bead blasted prior to their new finish.  Many of the slides are a different (even commercial) manufacturer than the frame (i.e. a Colt frame and Remington Rand slide).  Some slides do rattle, but hey, they are service 1911A-1s ..... kind of normal.  In some of the auctions they have had in the last few years, some all original pistols have gone for as much as $5,000 (this is not an auction but a lottery where you send in your package (required paperwork) and are given a number based on a random drawing).  I don't think the CMP can stop you, but these guns are not meant to re-sell, and if they catch you re-selling I think they will remove your name from consideration in ever buying another gun ...... or at least suspending you for a while.

My brother has also bought several M-1 Garands from them.

Apr 21, 2021 - 3:20:09 AM

868 posts since 9/6/2019

My nephew got his Garand from the CMP. I think he got the mid-grade rifle and it is pretty nice. I thought about getting one but I was in the military and moving around all the time and really didn't want to store it in a base armory or leave it at my mom's house for years on end not being able to shoot it. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now but we live and learn I guess.

Apr 21, 2021 - 6:28:23 AM

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy

My nephew got his Garand from the CMP. I think he got the mid-grade rifle and it is pretty nice. I thought about getting one but I was in the military and moving around all the time and really didn't want to store it in a base armory or leave it at my mom's house for years on end not being able to shoot it. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now but we live and learn I guess.


Bill, I haven't checked lately, but there still may be a few CMP Garands around.  The last few I saw in Anniston when I stopped were pretty ragged and I would not have bought any of them.  I actually think the ones that you could order on-line were better than the ones they had in the CMP store.  Seems like they were in the $500 - $1000 range depending on the grade.

Apr 21, 2021 - 6:32:12 AM
Players Union Member

Ron C

USA

1435 posts since 3/17/2004

Thanks for reminding me! I didn't apply for the chance.

There was a time when my eyes could resolve those original sights.

Ron

Apr 21, 2021 - 6:36:51 AM

868 posts since 9/6/2019

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy

My nephew got his Garand from the CMP. I think he got the mid-grade rifle and it is pretty nice. I thought about getting one but I was in the military and moving around all the time and really didn't want to store it in a base armory or leave it at my mom's house for years on end not being able to shoot it. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now but we live and learn I guess.


Bill, I haven't checked lately, but there still may be a few CMP Garands around.  The last few I saw in Anniston when I stopped were pretty ragged and I would not have bought any of them.  I actually think the ones that you could order on-line were better than the ones they had in the CMP store.  Seems like they were in the $500 - $1000 range depending on the grade.


I kind of scratched that itch. I went out and got a M1-A a few years ago. I actually like those better than the Garand. I got a pretty good deal on it and it came with 3 mags, a polymer tanker stock and a full up walnut stock.

Apr 21, 2021 - 6:44:09 AM

2273 posts since 3/29/2008

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

I thought that I just did, but here is the wiki  CMP wiki


Fair play - didn't read your post closely enough. Thanks for the link! Interesting idea, all in all.

Apr 21, 2021 - 3:22:43 PM

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Ron C

Thanks for reminding me! I didn't apply for the chance.

There was a time when my eyes could resolve those original sights.

Ron


Ron ..... didn't really need sights .... just point and shoot.  I somehow managed to shoot Expert with both the pistol and rifle while I was in the Marine Corps, but I had a some fellow Marines that could not hit the broad sign of a barn when black circle target was on the silloute of a person.  But when the instructor turned the silloute around where there was no black circle (just the carboard silloute), they would hit it every time.

There will probably be a third round of sales in a year or so.  You might want to get in on that lottery.

Apr 21, 2021 - 3:26:31 PM

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy

My nephew got his Garand from the CMP. I think he got the mid-grade rifle and it is pretty nice. I thought about getting one but I was in the military and moving around all the time and really didn't want to store it in a base armory or leave it at my mom's house for years on end not being able to shoot it. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now but we live and learn I guess.


Bill, I haven't checked lately, but there still may be a few CMP Garands around.  The last few I saw in Anniston when I stopped were pretty ragged and I would not have bought any of them.  I actually think the ones that you could order on-line were better than the ones they had in the CMP store.  Seems like they were in the $500 - $1000 range depending on the grade.


I kind of scratched that itch. I went out and got a M1-A a few years ago. I actually like those better than the Garand. I got a pretty good deal on it and it came with 3 mags, a polymer tanker stock and a full up walnut stock.


NIce!  I have just never particularly wanted a Garand.  We drilled with them when I was in ROTC in college and did not grow particularly fond of them.  We drilled with and qualified with the M-14 when I was a Marine and I liked that rifle a lot.  Marines drilling with an M16 though just doesn't seem right.  I think the Marine Silent Rifle Team (and others) still use the M14.

Apr 22, 2021 - 1:34:21 AM
Players Union Member

Ron C

USA

1435 posts since 3/17/2004

Thank you for that info!

I have a modified 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It is glass bedded and had trigger work, Match barrel, Original trigger group, replacement firing piston.

Also, an M1 Carbine, 1943. Made by National Postal Meter with Underwood barrel and Flat bolt.

Just missing that original 1911. At this time of life, I have to consider whether to add anything to the collection.

Ron

Apr 22, 2021 - 3:16:22 AM

868 posts since 9/6/2019

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy

My nephew got his Garand from the CMP. I think he got the mid-grade rifle and it is pretty nice. I thought about getting one but I was in the military and moving around all the time and really didn't want to store it in a base armory or leave it at my mom's house for years on end not being able to shoot it. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now but we live and learn I guess.


Bill, I haven't checked lately, but there still may be a few CMP Garands around.  The last few I saw in Anniston when I stopped were pretty ragged and I would not have bought any of them.  I actually think the ones that you could order on-line were better than the ones they had in the CMP store.  Seems like they were in the $500 - $1000 range depending on the grade.


I kind of scratched that itch. I went out and got a M1-A a few years ago. I actually like those better than the Garand. I got a pretty good deal on it and it came with 3 mags, a polymer tanker stock and a full up walnut stock.


NIce!  I have just never particularly wanted a Garand.  We drilled with them when I was in ROTC in college and did not grow particularly fond of them.  We drilled with and qualified with the M-14 when I was a Marine and I liked that rifle a lot.  Marines drilling with an M16 though just doesn't seem right.  I think the Marine Silent Rifle Team (and others) still use the M14.


I was probably one of the last regular military types to qualify on the M-14 and .45. I was stationed at a Navy Base in Scotland and they still used the M-14 as their primary rifle for their security guys. This was in '95. They were shutting the base down and had a boat load of ammo that they didn't want to ship back to the states so they opened up their qualifications to anyone who wanted to go shooting for a day so I jumped on it. They were also still carrying the old school 1911 so I qualified on it as well. I was one of a few Air Force guys who had Navy expert marksman medals on rifle and pistol.

I've always liked the M-14. My brother got a national match and after I shot it I was hooked, it just took me a while before I could come up with the money to buy one. I didn't get a match rifle but the one I got is really nice.

Edited by - Banjonewguy on 04/22/2021 03:16:59

Apr 22, 2021 - 3:19:45 AM
likes this

868 posts since 9/6/2019

quote:
Originally posted by Ron C

Thank you for that info!

I have a modified 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It is glass bedded and had trigger work, Match barrel, Original trigger group, replacement firing piston.

Also, an M1 Carbine, 1943. Made by National Postal Meter with Underwood barrel and Flat bolt.

Just missing that original 1911. At this time of life, I have to consider whether to add anything to the collection.

Ron


It's never a bad time to add to the collection. I'm probably going to have a guy selling me something at my funeral wink

Apr 22, 2021 - 7:47:35 AM

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Ron C

Thank you for that info!

I have a modified 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It is glass bedded and had trigger work, Match barrel, Original trigger group, replacement firing piston.

Also, an M1 Carbine, 1943. Made by National Postal Meter with Underwood barrel and Flat bolt.

Just missing that original 1911. At this time of life, I have to consider whether to add anything to the collection.

Ron


Ron ..... you are younger than me ...... never too late to add to your collectio9n ..... even if you just like to look at it!smiley

Just about all of the older military rifles and pistols have parts that did not come on them.  When the armorers replaced parts, which they did often, it did not matter to them who made them.  That is why if you find a 1911 with all original parts, it is a $4000 (or more) pistol rather $2000.  I think the CMP may be sending out some all original (or at least matching components by manufacturer) but the really good original ones are being put in their auction and bringing pretty big money.

Apr 22, 2021 - 7:53:02 AM

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy

My nephew got his Garand from the CMP. I think he got the mid-grade rifle and it is pretty nice. I thought about getting one but I was in the military and moving around all the time and really didn't want to store it in a base armory or leave it at my mom's house for years on end not being able to shoot it. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now but we live and learn I guess.


Bill, I haven't checked lately, but there still may be a few CMP Garands around.  The last few I saw in Anniston when I stopped were pretty ragged and I would not have bought any of them.  I actually think the ones that you could order on-line were better than the ones they had in the CMP store.  Seems like they were in the $500 - $1000 range depending on the grade.


I kind of scratched that itch. I went out and got a M1-A a few years ago. I actually like those better than the Garand. I got a pretty good deal on it and it came with 3 mags, a polymer tanker stock and a full up walnut stock.


NIce!  I have just never particularly wanted a Garand.  We drilled with them when I was in ROTC in college and did not grow particularly fond of them.  We drilled with and qualified with the M-14 when I was a Marine and I liked that rifle a lot.  Marines drilling with an M16 though just doesn't seem right.  I think the Marine Silent Rifle Team (and others) still use the M14.


I was probably one of the last regular military types to qualify on the M-14 and .45. I was stationed at a Navy Base in Scotland and they still used the M-14 as their primary rifle for their security guys. This was in '95. They were shutting the base down and had a boat load of ammo that they didn't want to ship back to the states so they opened up their qualifications to anyone who wanted to go shooting for a day so I jumped on it. They were also still carrying the old school 1911 so I qualified on it as well. I was one of a few Air Force guys who had Navy expert marksman medals on rifle and pistol.

I've always liked the M-14. My brother got a national match and after I shot it I was hooked, it just took me a while before I could come up with the money to buy one. I didn't get a match rifle but the one I got is really nice.


Bill, I don't think too many after me qualified with the M-14.  When I got to Viet Nam all of my men had M-16s.  It seems like when I got back to the states and had to re-quality at Parris Island I still used the M-14 ...... it sure wasn't the M-16.  I would love to find a national match rifle.

Apr 22, 2021 - 6:08:06 PM
Players Union Member

Ron C

USA

1435 posts since 3/17/2004

quote:
 

Bill, I don't think too many after me qualified with the M-14.  When I got to Viet Nam all of my men had M-16s.  It seems like when I got back to the states and had to re-quality at Parris Island I still used the M-14 ...... it sure wasn't the M-16.  I would love to find a national match rifle.


Was the version your men had the M16A1?

Army ROTC at my school had M14s.

Apr 22, 2021 - 6:58:05 PM
likes this

11802 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Ron C
quote:
 

Bill, I don't think too many after me qualified with the M-14.  When I got to Viet Nam all of my men had M-16s.  It seems like when I got back to the states and had to re-quality at Parris Island I still used the M-14 ...... it sure wasn't the M-16.  I would love to find a national match rifle.


Was the version your men had the M16A1?

Army ROTC at my school had M14s.


This was 1970, so I think they were M16A1s.  Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention.  I "inherited" an AR15 from a lieutenant that was rotating back home, but I carried an 1911A1 and an M79 Grenade Launcher with flechette rounds.  

Apr 22, 2021 - 7:55:48 PM
Players Union Member

Ron C

USA

1435 posts since 3/17/2004

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C
quote:
 

Bill, I don't think too many after me qualified with the M-14.  When I got to Viet Nam all of my men had M-16s.  It seems like when I got back to the states and had to re-quality at Parris Island I still used the M-14 ...... it sure wasn't the M-16.  I would love to find a national match rifle.


Was the version your men had the M16A1?

Army ROTC at my school had M14s.


This was 1970, so I think they were M16A1s.  Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention.  I "inherited" an AR15 from a lieutenant that was rotating back home, but I carried an 1911A1 and an M79 Grenade Launcher with flechette rounds.  


Thank you. I should have mentioned that the Army ROTC at my school had those M14s in 1967.

Sorry for the digression.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1875