Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

795
Banjo Lovers Online


Apr 12, 2021 - 6:50:27 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

18430 posts since 6/30/2015

I purchased something several weeks ago, knowing that there would be a 2-4 week delay in the product being shipped. I received an email dated 4/8 saying it had been shipped with an expected delivery date of 4/11 - yesterday. I followed the tracking on FedEx to see it had arrived in Middletown CT and was in transit yesterday, so I expected to see it delivered. The delivery date was still 4/11 on the tracking page. The package did not arrive by the end of the day. Now the tracking page shows "No scheduled delivery date available at this time." and the package is in transit to Middletown CT with "Scheduled delivery: Pending". I find this extremely frustrating. What is the point of tracking a package when it isn't tracked? I suspect that this is yet again another FedEx/U.S. Postal shipment and that in Middletown it will be handed off to the P.O. who will then ship it to Springfield, Massachusetts before it is shipped back to CT for delivery to me. There is no way to determine how long it will sit in Springfield, the black hole of package shipments. I purchased this for my wife's upcoming birthday figuring that even with the delay in shipment it would arrive in plenty of time - but now that it is in transit and theoretically in CT, it could still be weeks away. I wish this was the first time that this happened, but it is becoming SOP for shipments.

Apr 12, 2021 - 7:00:13 AM

KCJones

USA

1488 posts since 8/30/2012

Back when I was you're age, we'd send a money order in the mail to Sears-Robuck. 2-3 months later, we'd get our packages. No order confirmation, no shipping updates, no tracking. It always worked out, for the most part.

Apr 12, 2021 - 7:16:32 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

18430 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by KCJones

Back when I was you're age, we'd send a money order in the mail to Sears-Robuck. 2-3 months later, we'd get our packages. No order confirmation, no shipping updates, no tracking. It always worked out, for the most part.


Not sure you know how old I am, but that's how I used to do it too.  Fill out the order form in the J.C. Whitney catalog, put it in the mail with a check, wait for delivery with no expectation other than it will arrive sometime.  Frankly I'd be good with that.  What I'm not good with is telling me it will be delivered on a certain day, continue telling me that it will be delivered on that day, and then the day after you tell me it will be delivered on that day you tell me you don't know, and can't tell me when it will be delivered.  In this specific case I was waiting on the day it was supposed to be delivered because I don't want my wife seeing the package before her birthday. 

Apr 12, 2021 - 7:30:42 AM

2630 posts since 2/10/2013

Years back Sears and Montgomery Ward delivered orders faster than 3 months. We did not have to order Christmas presents in October. The postal service was slower but not that much slower.

Apr 12, 2021 - 7:36:47 AM

Owen

Canada

8387 posts since 6/5/2011

... isn't there a bit of folk wisdom (?) that might apply?   "A watched pot never boils."

Apr 12, 2021 - 7:40:16 AM

291 posts since 4/10/2018

I ordered a new Kitchen Aid mixer through Sonoma for Xmas for my daughter who does a lot of baking. This was mid November for Xmas. They did not tell me it was back ordered until a week before but that it would ship in Janurary. Then in January they said April. Still waiting. Could it be in a container on a ship? Could it be making it's way onto the factory floor in Asia? Or? When did Sonoma know and why didn't they tell me when I ordered it? Only the Shadow knows (for us oldsters)!

Apr 12, 2021 - 7:55:59 AM
like this

521 posts since 10/4/2018

It was late winter, 1973. A young boy's mother orders an album being advertised on television. It's the Elvis Presley record called simply, "Elvis." The young boy eventually loses his excitement waiting for it and eventually forgets that it's even coming. Until that day, as he approaches the front door from the sidewalk, his Mother calls out from an upstairs window, "Mike, come up to your room, there's something here." He runs up the stairs, not remembering his order of 4-6 weeks earlier, but becomes euphoric when he hears the first words played at an alarming volume. "You ain't nothing but a Hound Dog" fills the house with never-before heard sounds of rockabilly music and 1950's rock and roll. A nine year old boy is forever changed. Thank you US Postal Service, you will never, to this day, hear a complaint from me.

Apr 12, 2021 - 8:02:59 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

18430 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Good Buddy

It was late winter, 1973. A young boy's mother orders an album being advertised on television. It's the Elvis Presley record called simply, "Elvis." The young boy eventually loses his excitement waiting for it and eventually forgets that it's even coming. Until that day, as he approaches the front door from the sidewalk, his Mother calls out from an upstairs window, "Mike, come up to your room, there's something here." He runs up the stairs, not remembering his order of 4-6 weeks earlier, but becomes euphoric when he hears the first words played at an alarming volume. "You ain't nothing but a Hound Dog" fills the house with never-before heard sounds of rockabilly music and 1950's rock and roll. A nine year old boy is forever changed. Thank you US Postal Service, you will never, to this day, hear a complaint from me.


Was that a double album set?  I have the same one, and pretty much the same experience only I was a teenager.

Apr 12, 2021 - 8:11:48 AM

521 posts since 10/4/2018

Yes, this blue one with Elvis swinging his arm. So many great songs, and that voice was very exciting. Very powerful.

ELVIS

Edited by - Good Buddy on 04/12/2021 08:12:47

Apr 12, 2021 - 8:24:33 AM

KCJones

USA

1488 posts since 8/30/2012

@DC5 it was just a joke. I'm undoubtedly younger than you. I don't think the catalogue ordering services were even around by the time I came along. I just like to use the phrase 'when I was you're age' around people that are older than me. It's funny. Ha Ha.

Apr 12, 2021 - 8:37 AM
like this

374 posts since 4/11/2019
Online Now

So your wife isn't getting a new banjo in time for her birthday then??

Apr 12, 2021 - 9:38:27 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

18430 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Good Buddy

Yes, this blue one with Elvis swinging his arm. So many great songs, and that voice was very exciting. Very powerful.

ELVIS


That's it!  I still have it.

Apr 13, 2021 - 5:41:09 AM

6637 posts since 9/5/2006

the one i have the most trouble with is DHL,,, hard to track and takes forever,,the rest are fairly decent in delivery times.

Edited by - 1935tb-11 on 04/13/2021 05:41:25

Apr 13, 2021 - 5:52:28 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

18430 posts since 6/30/2015

quote:
Originally posted by Knows Picker

So your wife isn't getting a new banjo in time for her birthday then??


No, I'm going to have to get her a card or something.

Actually it's tractor parts, she got mad at me for the banjo she got last year.

Apr 13, 2021 - 5:56:03 AM

374 posts since 4/11/2019
Online Now

Maybe she needs a banjo uke this year ???

Apr 13, 2021 - 7:12:50 AM

kww

USA

994 posts since 6/21/2008

quote:
Originally posted by DC5

 I suspect that this is yet again another FedEx/U.S. Postal shipment and that in Middletown it will be handed off to the P.O. who will then ship it to Springfield,


Try entering the tracking number into USPS: if they are handling a leg of the shipment, their tracking system will report the status of that leg.

Apr 13, 2021 - 7:43:58 AM
Players Union Member

DC5

USA

18430 posts since 6/30/2015

It's supposedly on the truck for delivery today. It didn't get handed off to the PO, I guess it just needed a 2 day rest.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.125