Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

474
Banjo Lovers Online


Mar 4, 2021 - 7:52:10 PM
likes this

PHIL-

USA

49 posts since 2/26/2021

This guy was a genius. This Dit___ Dit___ exercise is taking me to a very uncomfortable place, where my thumb is forced to have control. Strike the note & land that thumb hard simultaneously  and poof, silence on the 8th note.

This is breaking me off any bad mechanics, because i am forced to be in control of my thumb. Its taking total concentration.

Probably the most challenging yet rewarding exercise I've done yet.

The method is a grand slam. This man must have really had a ton of experience, which is inspiring.

Thanks oldwoodchuck

Edited by - PHIL- on 03/04/2021 19:54:09

Mar 4, 2021 - 7:58:13 PM

PHIL-

USA

49 posts since 2/26/2021

What's interesting is i can bum ditty, till the cows come home but doing this my hand stiffens up like a board (its literally one note).

This is telling me i had a problem somewhere.

Mar 5, 2021 - 12:18:01 AM
likes this

AndyW

UK

742 posts since 7/4/2017

That's why I said focus on the basic stroke Phil. Once you get it the rest follows on through double thumbing and drop thumbing. It's easy to 'cheat' bum dittying at slow speed with 'air thumb', 'flicking fingers' etc. I'm sure it wouldn't matter with an instructor, but for learning at home the bum-pa-ditty expoused by RSB and others is more of a 'bolt-on' engineered method of learning where you get each part before moving on.

Rocketsciencebanjo is a great piece of work. Since you like it I would recommend again to buy 'Clawhammer From Scratch' which is similar but works through in a slightly more structured manner.

Mar 5, 2021 - 6:00:30 AM
likes this

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

10833 posts since 2/22/2007

I miss OWC, he was a treasure here.

Mar 5, 2021 - 7:45:10 AM

PHIL-

USA

49 posts since 2/26/2021

@AndyW My fingers aren't even flicking, my fingers haven't flicked since 3 days in when i learned the bum ditty off another learning method.

Its not about "cheating slow", its about internalizing proper mechanics through repetition. I CAN play faster, i can play lightning fast, it sounds like a train leaving the station.

Problem is, my left hand is still weak and I dont think I've internalized the proper mechanics with my right hand to be 100% consistent. So does playing fast do me any good? Probably not but it is fun, and I've made some pretty good sounds using hammer ons and slides (pulls off are eluding me). I am a drummer and have been for 20 years, so i understand muscle memory and internalizing good mechanics with self discipline. It happens when it happens and you can feel it. You make it sound like I'm struggling to do a basic bum ditty with red eyes and hair falling out of my head.

I dont know where your getting all this from.

Any good text form learning method, i will surely do. I thank you for all your help.

Mar 5, 2021 - 11:23:35 AM
like this

AndyW

UK

742 posts since 7/4/2017

quote:
Originally posted by PHIL-

@AndyW My fingers aren't even flicking, my fingers haven't flicked since 3 days in when i learned the bum ditty off another learning method.

Its not about "cheating slow", its about internalizing proper mechanics through repetition. I CAN play faster, i can play lightning fast, it sounds like a train leaving the station.

Problem is, my left hand is still weak and I dont think I've internalized the proper mechanics with my right hand to be 100% consistent. So does playing fast do me any good? Probably not but it is fun, and I've made some pretty good sounds using hammer ons and slides (pulls off are eluding me). I am a drummer and have been for 20 years, so i understand muscle memory and internalizing good mechanics with self discipline. It happens when it happens and you can feel it. You make it sound like I'm struggling to do a basic bum ditty with red eyes and hair falling out of my head.

I dont know where your getting all this from.

Any good text form learning method, i will surely do. I thank you for all your help.


I never said your fingers were flicking. Reread my post and you'll see I was making a generalisation about what can happen to some folks.  Learn whatever method you prefer and at whatever speed you prefer.  I'd still say if you are liking RSB, you'll really benefit from using 'From Scratch'.  I'll leave you to it. Enjoy.  Andy.

Mar 5, 2021 - 11:26:26 AM
like this

5945 posts since 3/11/2006

The Old WoodChuck was truly one of the greats that graced the BHO with his presence.  Having recourse to his skills, knowledge, and insight has helped to make the BHO such a unique place, and such a rare and uncommon boon to the banjo community. The BHO has experienced a slow but gradual attrition of some of its finest contributors over the last several years, but few as great as Tony Spadero.  He is sorely missed.  I hope this post finds him well.

God Bless you Tony.

Mar 5, 2021 - 12:15:01 PM
like this

mjt0229

Denmark

375 posts since 4/20/2015

I hadn't thought of him in a while, and I'm glad this post reminded me of his wit, generosity, and intelligence.

Mar 5, 2021 - 1:26:51 PM
like this

8199 posts since 3/17/2005

I haven't heard anything of Tony in a long time. Arthritis had been plaguing his playing and he was slowing down. He was a real help to soooo many people.
Tony, if you're out there, I wish you well.

Edited by - chip arnold on 03/05/2021 13:27:30

Mar 6, 2021 - 12:09:43 AM

AndyW

UK

742 posts since 7/4/2017

quote:
Originally posted by chip arnold

I haven't heard anything of Tony in a long time. Arthritis had been plaguing his playing and he was slowing down. He was a real help to soooo many people.
Tony, if you're out there, I wish you well.


There was a thread a while back.  I think someone was in touch with his wife/partner 'Bunny?' or his son on facebook, but I can't remember the outcome.   I don't think anyone managed to get in touch with him, even the guy (Banjo Brad??/ Banjo Fred???) hosting his RocketScienceBanjo site.

Mar 6, 2021 - 12:28:56 PM
like this

4062 posts since 11/29/2005

I was attempting to get in touch with Tony's wife or son or with the guy who did his "lessons by" videos. Even tried a few of those "finder" sites and spent some money on that. I never got a response from anybody, and so I decided to move the RSB site from a separate Domain (yearly $$) and make it a sub-domain of my PricklyPearMusic site. I removed all the donation links, so all of his knowledge I have is available for gratis. I will, RSN*, be adding the Tabonanza download to the RSB site, but I've been a little slow on getting things done over the past year, so I need to do that.

*RSN: In the early days of personal computers, updates and new versions of software (shareware, freeware) were often slow in getting out of development, and the author often promised things as RSN, or Real Soon Now. Since this was seldom the actual truth, it became a sort of joke when speaking/writing about programs.

RSB, or Rocket Science Banjo, can be found by going to my homepage, pricklypearmusic.net and using the link there, or directly by going to rsb.pricklypearmusic.net

Mar 6, 2021 - 9:43:07 PM
likes this

Paul R

Canada

14205 posts since 1/28/2010

Tony is/was in Chapel Hill, right? Is there nobody nearby with the time and inclination to check things out?

We're not getting any younger. I wonder if he's still with us. He is surely missed.

Mar 8, 2021 - 1:00:23 PM
likes this

4062 posts since 11/29/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Paul R

Tony is/was in Chapel Hill, right? Is there nobody nearby with the time and inclination to check things out?

We're not getting any younger. I wonder if he's still with us. He is surely missed.


Chapel Hill was the place.  While I was hunting for him, someone said he had moved closer to family(?).  I had an address but never got a reply to my mail.

I'm out here in Tucson and don't do much gadding about.

Mar 8, 2021 - 2:50:59 PM

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

10833 posts since 2/22/2007

Paul, as I mentioned last time this subject came up, if Tony does not wish to be in contact then we should respect that. He knows very well where we are and I think that any further searching would be unwelcome.
Let's just thank him for his many contributions, wish him the best, and respect his privacy.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1865234