Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Mar 5, 2021 - 3:23:37 PM
likes this

2 posts since 1/22/2019

quote:
Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

I love 3/4 time and wish I was more comfortable playing it.
ken

i'm the same!  I love waltzes. But i'm new to playing clawhammer and really struggle fooling around with 3/4 time. It sounds clunky and crowded, but i'm sure it is just my lack of skill. 

Anyone want to share their favourite clawhammer waltzes I can learn from? 

Is 3/4 time common in old-time? Again,  apologies for my newness and thanks for your patience! 

Mar 5, 2021 - 3:35:03 PM
likes this

96 posts since 5/21/2020

quote:
Originally posted by atownofsunflowers
quote:
Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

I love 3/4 time and wish I was more comfortable playing it.
ken

i'm the same!  I love waltzes. But i'm new to playing clawhammer and really struggle fooling around with 3/4 time. It sounds clunky and crowded, but i'm sure it is just my lack of skill. 

Anyone want to share their favourite clawhammer waltzes I can learn from? 

Is 3/4 time common in old-time? Again,  apologies for my newness and thanks for your patience! 

I don't play clawhammer but I think Tennessee Waltz in the key of D might be a good tune to work on. 

Mar 5, 2021 - 3:49:37 PM

banjo_nz

New Zealand

38 posts since 3/10/2006

One 3/4 time tune that works really well in 4/4 is Minuet in G by JS Bach. It was a pop hit in the '60s - renamed to Lover's Concerto. Doyle Lawson played a real nice bluegrass version in the late 70's.

Mar 9, 2021 - 7:18:39 AM
likes this

6 posts since 6/16/2014

I play "House of the rising sun" in E minor. Start slow in 3/4 time. Sing and take some solos. Then jump the speed way up in 4/4 time. While I am singing in 4/4, I have the mandolin or fiddle playing right into the mic to just push it. This arrangement usually gets the most response from the crowd. Em G A C Em G B...etc. Real fun to play fast.

Mar 9, 2021 - 7:31:57 AM
likes this

6087 posts since 10/13/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hendricks

I play "House of the rising sun" in E minor. Start slow in 3/4 time. Sing and take some solos. Then jump the speed way up in 4/4 time. While I am singing in 4/4, I have the mandolin or fiddle playing right into the mic to just push it. This arrangement usually gets the most response from the crowd. Em G A C Em G B...etc. Real fun to play fast.

I would like to hear that. it sounds good.

ken

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   1   2  3

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories