Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

704
Banjo Lovers Online


1864 Jamaican Banjo with top 10 provenance statements for Jim Jacquet

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:01:53 AM
1728 posts since 6/2/2010

Other photos and provenance statements will follow the first.

1. You can clearly see a fret marker at the 9th fret instead of the 10th under the 5 coats of Minwax Polycrylic finish. A clear sign of a very early banjo.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:03:04 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

2. The rope tension system clearly pre-dates the hook and square nut system that was used in the 1870s.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:04:10 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

3. The tailpiece is hand-riveted – pre-dating any modern SS Stewart “Common Sense Tailpiece”.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:05:20 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

4. The pot is clearly marked “Jamaica”. 1864 was the last year these pots were made. In 1865 Jamaica started importing aluminum bottle cap banjos from Asian countries.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:06:15 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

5. The 5th string Gotoh tuner has a black plastic button. In 1865 Gotoh switched to white buttons.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:07:11 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

6. The paint on the pot and neck were applied with nail heads - long before paint brushes were invented.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:08:28 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

7. The original 1864 Aquila Nylgut Classic Minstel strings are still on the banjo. In 1865 Aquila swithched to the more modern Nylgut Reds.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:09:24 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

8. In the case candy was the original 1864 receipt from Lowes on Ocean Blvd in Kingston to verify the purchase of the wood for this banjo. Unfortunately, the ink has faded on the thermal paper so it is a little hard to make out.


 

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:10:19 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

9. This banjo was made by Rasta Marley - Bob Marley’s great, great, great grandfather as evidenced by his signature “Jamaican Maple Leaf” design on the peghead.


 

Edited by - maneckep on 01/24/2021 11:13:34

Jan 24, 2021 - 11:11:48 AM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

10. Last but not least this banjo really reeks of “Jamaican Maple Leaf” smoke. Sorry no picture but damn I get hungry after playing this thing.



And Jim, the banjo is only $4000 and that includes free airfare to Indiana, PA. I figure I could save you some money since I know you are coming to Indiana, PA to purchase that other Civil War banjo on ebay.

Jan 24, 2021 - 12:17:01 PM
like this

1330 posts since 3/1/2012

I've noticed over the years that it is rarely a good thing to see your name in a headline...

Jan 24, 2021 - 12:57:45 PM

2496 posts since 4/7/2010

quote:
Originally posted by maneckep

5. The 5th string Gotoh tuner has a black plastic button. In 1865 Gotoh switched to white buttons.


You have some history a little wrong. With Gotoh tuners the white button came first. Kevin Enoch was able to convince Gotoh that a black button would be a good option to offer. Taking your information into account, I estimate that Kevin Enoch was -92 years old when the black knobs were introduced. Could be a year or 2, plus or minus. Of course Mr. Enoch had nothing to do with the creation of that banjo, just the creation of the black button option

 

Bob S.

Edited by - Bob Smakula on 01/24/2021 13:00:38

Jan 24, 2021 - 1:31 PM
likes this

1330 posts since 3/1/2012

Bob--We all agree the banjo was invented in 1920, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin...

Jan 24, 2021 - 3:45:35 PM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

quote:
Originally posted by IMBanjoJim

I've noticed over the years that it is rarely a good thing to see your name in a headline...


Sorry Jim!  I just couldn't resist based on your comments on that past Civil War banjo that has been for sale for ever.  When I first moved to Indiana, Pa (about 1 year ago) I saw that banjo on Facebook Marketplace and called the lady about it.  When she told me the story and price I just held my breath and told her good luck selling it.  I didn't have to heart to tell her is was probably a $100 banjo and it wasn't around during the civil war.  Indiana is a small town and I didn't want to make any enemies after just moving here.

BTW - the real story on that banjo - I bought the Jamaican drum from a thrift shop real close to the SEATAC airport about 5 years ago.  I finally got around to making a neck to match the drum.  The banjo is going back to Washington state next time I visit my son in Ellensburg.

Jan 24, 2021 - 4:08:53 PM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smakula
quote:
Originally posted by maneckep

5. The 5th string Gotoh tuner has a black plastic button. In 1865 Gotoh switched to white buttons.


You have some history a little wrong. With Gotoh tuners the white button came first. Kevin Enoch was able to convince Gotoh that a black button would be a good option to offer. Taking your information into account, I estimate that Kevin Enoch was -92 years old when the black knobs were introduced. Could be a year or 2, plus or minus. Of course Mr. Enoch had nothing to do with the creation of that banjo, just the creation of the black button option

 

Bob S.


Damn - I ordered the wrong color button again!

Jan 24, 2021 - 4:59:32 PM
likes this

8170 posts since 8/28/2013

Too bad about that incorrect tuner button. Now, no one will wnat to buy this 1864 banjo, even though the rest of it is so obviously genuine.

Jan 25, 2021 - 9:44:08 AM

234 posts since 4/14/2014

Hey now, Indiana is a big town by Pennsylvania standards.

Jan 25, 2021 - 12:22:40 PM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Pennsylvania

Hey now, Indiana is a big town by Pennsylvania standards.


Well compared to Butler maybe - but we don't have the Ice Jam like you do.  Not any jams over this way that I know of.  If you know of any please let me know.

Jan 25, 2021 - 12:25:54 PM

234 posts since 4/14/2014

quote:
Originally posted by maneckep
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Pennsylvania

Hey now, Indiana is a big town by Pennsylvania standards.


Well compared to Butler maybe - but we don't have the Ice Jam like you do.  Not any jams over this way that I know of.  If you know of any please let me know.

Butler and Indiana are the same population wise... but not to dwell on that too much... I know there's some jams that occur to the northeast of you over by Phillipsburg if memory serves me. I've also been to a couple in Ebensburg and Altoona, but I've lost touch and some folks have moved away. 

Jan 25, 2021 - 3:54:31 PM

Jbo1

USA

992 posts since 5/19/2007

Did I just sleep through January, February and March?

Jan 25, 2021 - 5:00:25 PM

1728 posts since 6/2/2010

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Pennsylvania
quote:
Originally posted by maneckep
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Pennsylvania

Hey now, Indiana is a big town by Pennsylvania standards.


Well compared to Butler maybe - but we don't have the Ice Jam like you do.  Not any jams over this way that I know of.  If you know of any please let me know.

Butler and Indiana are the same population wise... but not to dwell on that too much... I know there's some jams that occur to the northeast of you over by Phillipsburg if memory serves me. I've also been to a couple in Ebensburg and Altoona, but I've lost touch and some folks have moved away. 


I moved here from Morgantown, WV.  You could probably jam 3-4 nights per week there before Covid. 

Jan 25, 2021 - 6:16:27 PM

234 posts since 4/14/2014

quote:
Originally posted by maneckep

I moved here from Morgantown, WV.  You could probably jam 3-4 nights per week there before Covid. 


Yeah, Morgantown's a big place, comparatively. I know there were two or three regular weekly jams in Pittsburgh, but I don't go to Pittsburgh unless I have to. 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.390625