Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

781
Banjo Lovers Online


Jan 22, 2021 - 8:50:40 AM
287 posts since 2/21/2012

hello All, A friend of mine is trying to establish the date and authenticity of his
Gibson 5-String. It is an RB250 with a Flathead Tonering and Tube and Plate
Flange. There is a number stamped inside the rim, 777603, and another stamped
vertically on the rear of the Peghead, 956011.
Any help would be appreciated , thanks, Keith

Jan 22, 2021 - 9:16:23 AM

beegee

USA

22179 posts since 7/6/2005

1970-72. Is there a "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the peghead? Not quite sure about the presence of 2 numbers. Do you have pictures?

Jan 22, 2021 - 9:55:41 AM

287 posts since 2/21/2012

Hi Bob, I’m not sure how to post them from an email ?
However, I did notice that the 3 , in the rim number has
A flat top !
Thanks for your response, Keith

Jan 22, 2021 - 10:20:09 AM
likes this

1592 posts since 4/13/2017

The number in the rim being different from the one on the neck may suggest that the rim and neck are not original to one another.

Jan 22, 2021 - 10:38:41 AM

2037 posts since 1/4/2009

i dont think they had rim stamps in the early 70s. Did they?

Jan 22, 2021 - 11:03:18 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

RioStat

USA

5409 posts since 10/12/2009
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by kyleb

i dont think they had rim stamps in the early 70s. Did they?


My 1974 RB 250 has what appears to be a "date" stamped into the "top" of the rim, underneath the tone ring. 

This rim also suffered massive bead failure, where the tube (of the tube-and-plate flange) butted up against, and has been replaced with a Cox 3 ply rim


 

Edited by - RioStat on 01/22/2021 11:03:55

Jan 22, 2021 - 11:49 AM

11479 posts since 6/2/2008

quote:
Originally posted by banjowilly22

A friend of mine is trying to establish the date and authenticity of his
Gibson 5-String. It is an RB250 with a Flathead Tonering and Tube and Plate
Flange. There is a number stamped inside the rim, 777603, and another stamped
vertically on the rear of the Peghead, 956011.


BeeGee has already given the date.

I just want to express the opinion that this is not a version of Gibson banjos one would expect to be copied, so I authenticity can be expected.

An original neck for this model will be three pieces laminated (not counting the peghead ears). The wide center ply will be clearly visible from peghead to heel.

While 70s RB250s are generally "authentic" they - like Gibsons from any period - are not always 100% original. Because they don't have vintage value and are the least respected Mastertones ever produced, replacement of the multi-ply rim and light weight tone ring tends not to make an instrument less desirable.

Jan 22, 2021 - 12:55:42 PM
likes this

2037 posts since 1/4/2009

quote:
Originally posted by RioStat
quote:
Originally posted by kyleb

i dont think they had rim stamps in the early 70s. Did they?


My 1974 RB 250 has what appears to be a "date" stamped into the "top" of the rim, underneath the tone ring. 

This rim also suffered massive bead failure, where the tube (of the tube-and-plate flange) butted up against, and has been replaced with a Cox 3 ply rim


I dont have my orginal rim, but it did the same thing, I have a cox 3ply as well and its a major upgrade.

Jan 22, 2021 - 6:41:27 PM

11479 posts since 6/2/2008

My 70s RB-250 has a 3-ply rim and one-piece flange - both modifications by some previous owner. Heel was inartfully modified to do this.

Jan 26, 2021 - 1:42:14 AM

287 posts since 2/21/2012

A big thank you to all who have responded, I have passed the info and replies on to
My friend. Keith

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.234375