Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

365
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Jan 17, 2021 - 6:28:22 AM
likes this
2877 posts since 4/22/2018

I’m sure a few of you have heard me use the term numpty before.... ie, not the brightest crayon in the box, or someone who would look at a field and think ‘hey that looks wet but I’ll give it a go’.... yes I’m a numpty!! Thank goodness for friends with unimogs is all I can say.




Edited by - Wet Spaniel on 01/17/2021 06:29:09

Jan 17, 2021 - 6:39:14 AM

15079 posts since 12/2/2005

I seem to recall an episode of Top Gear (before Jeremy Clarkson got sacked) that looked very much like this...

Jan 17, 2021 - 6:52:29 AM

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

Highly likely Skip. Incidentally the new top gear crew recently managed to accidentally smash up a borrowed Lamborghini not far from my act of numptyism

Jan 17, 2021 - 8:02:27 AM

Owen

Canada

7742 posts since 6/5/2011

Jonty, is there a back story beyond "... looks wet, I'll give it a go."?   

Is the vehicle  2WD/4WD/AWD? [and please don't answer "yes." wink ]

Jan 17, 2021 - 8:27:49 AM

figmo59

USA

32551 posts since 3/5/2008

Afirmahtive would be acceptable tho... ;0)

Jan 17, 2021 - 8:29:37 AM
likes this

figmo59

USA

32551 posts since 3/5/2008

Tracks..me'boy...tracks.... ;0)

Jan 17, 2021 - 9:04:30 AM
likes this

9835 posts since 8/22/2006

I like your automotive taste. I have 2008 sport trac. Have you replaced your radiator yet? How about the wheel bearing assemblies?

Jan 17, 2021 - 9:24:53 AM

15079 posts since 12/2/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

Highly likely Skip. Incidentally the new top gear crew recently managed to accidentally smash up a borrowed Lamborghini not far from my act of numptyism


Who's on the new crew? How are they? BBC America DOES run many Beeb shows, but not concurrently with their airings on your side of the pond. Seems like their profit model is heavily dependent on Star Trek re-runs (from Next Generation onwards... they don't seem interested in the original series).

Frankly, I've been less than thrilled with Top Gear since Clarkson, Hammond and May departed. Those three just had a certain magic. Matt LeBlanc wasn't horrible but it did seem odd to have an American in the lead position of that show... and IMO he's far too polite to fill Clarkson's shoes. Of course, being a jerk is what got Clarkson booted in the first place..

Even so, post Clarkson/Hammond/May Brit Top Gear shows, despite not being as good, still blew the doors off the American franchise of the show. Which has never, in the handful of episodes I watched, been any better than bloody awful.

Jan 17, 2021 - 9:25:15 AM
Players Union Member

Brian T

Canada

17729 posts since 6/5/2008

I'm not sure I can believe that grinding the scenery into a pulp is useful.
But, it is something to do outdoors, even on a gloomy day.

Jan 17, 2021 - 10:45:19 AM

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

I like your automotive taste. I have 2008 sport trac. Have you replaced your radiator yet? How about the wheel bearing assemblies?


5B, you won't problem know from the UK reg plate but this is a 2008 too - wild track I think.I bought it 6 years back with 90,000 miles on the clock with a full history, It's not had anything major replaced yet.  The prop shaft is a bit loose (has been since I got it) but not so much that my friendly local mechanic thinks it needs changing yet.  I think it's a brilliant truck, it's our second car (other is a Ford mini van) so it doesn't do a lot of miles but I love it

Jan 17, 2021 - 10:51:55 AM
likes this

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

Jonty, is there a back story beyond "... looks wet, I'll give it a go."?   

Is the vehicle  2WD/4WD/AWD? [and please don't answer "yes." wink ]


No backstory Owen I'm afraid, I knew what I needed to do to get it out and suddenly thought - maybe I'll give this a go... more fool me -  but, as with my Shiite baking, I'll always share my s***e driving too if it raises a chuckle.

regards to the 2wd/4wd etc......yes

 

its a stick shift (most uk cars are) .  The default is 2wd with a stick to shift it into 4wd high box and then 4wd low box.  It's usually very capable unless the driver makes a duff decision.

Jan 17, 2021 - 10:57:39 AM
likes this

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Brian T

I'm not sure I can believe that grinding the scenery into a pulp is useful.
But, it is something to do outdoors, even on a gloomy day.


Me neither Brian, it's a friends land and I'd hate to pxss him off so as soon as I realised I wouldn't get out without making a mess, I called a friend with something bigger and grippier to help me out. Cost me a slice of humble pie with the farmer, £25 to the son of the guy who pulled me out, and maybe (if I'm lucky) 2 or 3 years of 'gentle banter'.

Jan 17, 2021 - 11:41:24 AM
like this

151 posts since 9/20/2009

My wife tried to invent a new driveway in our yard yesterday and had similar findings.


 

Jan 17, 2021 - 11:45:16 AM
likes this

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by patrick martin

My wife tried to invent a new driveway in our yard yesterday and had similar findings.


I'm glad I'm in good company!

Jan 17, 2021 - 12:34:39 PM

11463 posts since 1/15/2005

Monty, Jonty, Jonty .......... I’m afraid you may be my long lost much younger brother.

Jan 17, 2021 - 12:36:51 PM

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

Highly likely Skip. Incidentally the new top gear crew recently managed to accidentally smash up a borrowed Lamborghini not far from my act of numptyism


Who's on the new crew? How are they? BBC America DOES run many Beeb shows, but not concurrently with their airings on your side of the pond. Seems like their profit model is heavily dependent on Star Trek re-runs (from Next Generation onwards... they don't seem interested in the original series).

Frankly, I've been less than thrilled with Top Gear since Clarkson, Hammond and May departed. Those three just had a certain magic. Matt LeBlanc wasn't horrible but it did seem odd to have an American in the lead position of that show... and IMO he's far too polite to fill Clarkson's shoes. Of course, being a jerk is what got Clarkson booted in the first place..

Even so, post Clarkson/Hammond/May Brit Top Gear shows, despite not being as good, still blew the doors off the American franchise of the show. Which has never, in the handful of episodes I watched, been any better than bloody awful.


I'm not 100% who is on the team Skip, I couldn't bare the sycophantic self promotion of clarkson et al so I've never had any interest in the show in any of its guises.  Funnily enough, I learned to fly gyrocopters on the very same airstrip that Hammond had his accident on (many years before) and my wife, as an ICU nurse took care of him after his accident.

Jan 17, 2021 - 12:38:46 PM

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Monty, Jonty, Jonty .......... I’m afraid you may be my long lost much younger brother.


smileysmileysmiley am I the handsome one ?  
 

btw - my grandfather was called  Monty - pure fluke.

Edited by - Wet Spaniel on 01/17/2021 12:39:07

Jan 17, 2021 - 12:43:01 PM

Ciao

Mali

3116 posts since 5/15/2011

Looking at your pics Jonty, I'm fully expecting to see James Herriot's Austin 7 trundling along one of the lanes.

I take it you weren't trying to navigate along a farm road your mate's uses for the tractor, but rather (accidently) beat a new path for him?

Jan 17, 2021 - 12:58:34 PM
likes this

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Meakin

Looking at your pics Jonty, I'm fully expecting to see James Herriot's Austin 7 trundling along one of the lanes.

I take it you weren't trying to navigate along a farm road your mate's uses for the tractor, but rather (accidently) beat a new path for him?


Chris, the some of the most recent all creatures great and small programme was actually filmed on land owned by a friend of mine, and I've posted pic of me and my boy hunting on it on here before.  Although Herriot actually lived a long way away, in both the 1970/1980's (can't remember) and the 2020 series, they filmed in my neck of the woods because it's more scenic.  With regards to me,  this was pure schoolboy error, just driven up a perfectly sound off-road lane and then turned into a damp field I should have steered well clear of.

Jan 17, 2021 - 3:41:48 PM

15079 posts since 12/2/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I'm not 100% who is on the team Skip, I couldn't bare the sycophantic self promotion of clarkson et al so I've never had any interest in the show in any of its guises.  Funnily enough, I learned to fly gyrocopters on the very same airstrip that Hammond had his accident on (many years before) and my wife, as an ICU nurse took care of him after his accident.


I can respect that. On this side of the ditch, it was easy to view them as three funny knuckleheads who made a decent living doing stupid stuff with cars. I know that they also wrote about them, but I didn't know the extent of the self promotion.

Jan 17, 2021 - 4:41:13 PM

11463 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Monty, Jonty, Jonty .......... I’m afraid you may be my long lost much younger brother.


smileysmileysmiley am I the handsome one ?  
 

btw - my grandfather was called  Monty - pure fluke.


Of course you would be!  I am now sorry that I did not get to spend some time with my daughter during her six years in Harrogate ..... not too far from you.  My wife visited several times, but she was home pretty often and I was real busy with work then.  If you would have been on the Hangout then, I bet I would have found the time!  Nothing like a local to show you around the countryside!

Jan 17, 2021 - 4:46:28 PM

kww

USA

937 posts since 6/21/2008

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel

I'm not 100% who is on the team Skip, I couldn't bare the sycophantic self promotion of clarkson et al so I've never had any interest in the show in any of its guises.  Funnily enough, I learned to fly gyrocopters on the very same airstrip that Hammond had his accident on (many years before) and my wife, as an ICU nurse took care of him after his accident.


I can respect that. On this side of the ditch, it was easy to view them as three funny knuckleheads who made a decent living doing stupid stuff with cars. I know that they also wrote about them, but I didn't know the extent of the self promotion.


They were always far too cruel to Morris Minors. Watching some episodes was torture for me.

Jan 17, 2021 - 7:06:58 PM

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel
quote:
Originally posted by BanjoLink

Monty, Jonty, Jonty .......... I’m afraid you may be my long lost much younger brother.


smileysmileysmiley am I the handsome one ?  
 

btw - my grandfather was called  Monty - pure fluke.


Of course you would be!  I am now sorry that I did not get to spend some time with my daughter during her six years in Harrogate ..... not too far from you.  My wife visited several times, but she was home pretty often and I was real busy with work then.  If you would have been on the Hangout then, I bet I would have found the time!  Nothing like a local to show you around the countryside!


Aye, we could've had a few laughs along the way I'm sure..  There's some lovely countryside around here .... and some lovely country pubs too.  

Jan 17, 2021 - 11:44:40 PM

Paul R

Canada

13862 posts since 1/28/2010
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel
btw - my grandfather was called  Monty - pure fluke.

Oh. Was he a famous general?

Jan 18, 2021 - 12:19:51 AM

2877 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Paul R
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Spaniel
btw - my grandfather was called  Monty - pure fluke.

Oh. Was he a famous general?


Not quite Paul, he was a legendary (in my eyes) ships first mate.  

Jan 18, 2021 - 1:50:02 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

13030 posts since 5/24/2005

I finally gave up my 2003 Z71 Suburban. With 350,000 miles on it, it was getting too nerve racking to drive it 450 miles to a job. With the fairly aggressive tires, I rarely got stuck out on a job. If I did, I did not do a lot of grinding. When things get that bad on a location, a D5 or so dozer is kept on location to do the heavy pulling and pushing.

i kept my 1996 Ford Explorer/4WD. Not a great vehicle, but with only 25000 miles on it, it still has some life in it. I would like to dress it up a bit, but never got to it yet.

Oh yea, not sure if its numpty or not.
Brad

Edited by - rinemb on 01/18/2021 01:51:03

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.234375