Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

724
Banjo Lovers Online


Jan 15, 2021 - 9:26:10 AM
like this
1295 posts since 10/11/2012

Most people know I make 5 string Oettingers in both brass and solid nickel silver.

I have in the past made 4 string and even 6 string versions but they were made by cutting and welding a 5 string back plate (two back plates in the case of a '6'). It was an intricate and expensive process. It's a 35 mile round trip to the only engineering company I can find that will weld brass. It's a dying art, at least in England.

But now I have a foundry who have successfully cast some 4 string back plates in brass for me. This has been going on for about a year due to covid-19 and all the problems it has caused. Sadly, this foundry will not cast nickel silver for me, so they are a way off for the moment.

I know that most people on this forum are 5 string banjo enthusiasts, so this is for the relatively rarer 4 string enthusiast:-

Brass 4 string Oettinger

4 string Oettinger tailpiece in brass

top view of brass 4 string oettinger tailpiece

oettinger tailpiece 4 string version in brass

If anyone is interested you can buy a 4 string Oettinger tailpiece on the previous link. Shipping to the US takes about a week.

Jan 16, 2021 - 5:40:58 AM
likes this

229 posts since 2/7/2009

Hi Lyndon.
I just placed an order for a 5 string. Was going to earlier this week but became hesitant. I've never dealt with pounds or ordering outside the USA before. Seeing your post gave me confidence that you're still in business. I've wanted an Oettinger for a long time. Yours is the nicest I've seen.  It will look terrific on my '25 BB rim with a radiused neck.  :)
Thanks
Dan Wheeler

Edited by - bnlholic on 01/16/2021 05:56:42

Jan 16, 2021 - 10:12:22 AM
likes this

1295 posts since 10/11/2012

quote:
Originally posted by bnlholic

Hi Lyndon.
I just placed an order for a 5 string. Was going to earlier this week but became hesitant. I've never dealt with pounds or ordering outside the USA before. Seeing your post gave me confidence that you're still in business. I've wanted an Oettinger for a long time. Yours is the nicest I've seen.  It will look terrific on my '25 BB rim with a radiused neck.  :)
Thanks
Dan Wheeler


Thanks Dan, it's really appreciated.

I will build the tailpiece Monday and try and get it in the post for you on Tuesday. It takes about a week to the USA.

I am almost out of Nickel Silver back plates, so yours is a good call. I have not spoken to the foundry that does the Nickel Silver castings for me for over a year. It's possible that they have gone bust or that they won't deal with my tiny little orders any more, these days anything is possible.

I know you will be pleased with it, they really are nice. Maybe you can let me have a picture of it mounted up for my Oettinger Tailpiece Gallery...

Jan 17, 2021 - 2:23:30 PM
likes this

gitman

Germany

9 posts since 11/18/2005

Hi Lyndon, I placed an order on such a 4-string thingy in brass last sunday- please let me know when you've shipped it out ! Best, Christian

Jan 18, 2021 - 5:04:27 AM

1295 posts since 10/11/2012

quote:
Originally posted by gitman

Hi Lyndon, I placed an order on such a 4-string thingy in brass last sunday- please let me know when you've shipped it out ! Best, Christian


Hi Christian, I shipped it today 18th January. I also sent you a letter Friday 15th January which you will get before the parcel. I will send you the tracking link in a private message from BHO, for some strange reason I cannot email you from my normal email.

Jan 18, 2021 - 9:01:52 AM

1295 posts since 10/11/2012

Hi Dan

Here's your solid nickel silver 5 String Oettinger tailpiece, it was born this afternoon. Not a particularly difficult birth this time, I am glad to say.

It will be in the post tomorrow (19th January).

When you get it, please can you post your impressions of it in this post? Would that be possible? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your order!!!


Jan 18, 2021 - 10:28:23 AM

68 posts since 5/31/2009

Id totally order one, but i dont own a bespoke banjo. I can't justify the price tag, but the tailpiece looks very nice.

Im looking (loosely) for a brass downpressure tailpiece for my tenor, and they are very hard to find in the sub-$100 category.

Maybe someday when i have an expensive instrument i can accessorize it properly.

Jan 18, 2021 - 2:39:46 PM
likes this

229 posts since 2/7/2009

Hi Lyndon,
Sure is a beauty. I'll be glad to report when it arrives.
Dan

Jan 27, 2021 - 1:50:41 AM

1295 posts since 10/11/2012

quote:
Originally posted by awildman

Id totally order one, but i dont own a bespoke banjo. I can't justify the price tag, but the tailpiece looks very nice.

Im looking (loosely) for a brass downpressure tailpiece for my tenor, and they are very hard to find in the sub-$100 category.

Maybe someday when i have an expensive instrument i can accessorize it properly.


Aaron, I'm ready when you are...

Jan 27, 2021 - 7:02:37 AM
likes this

3663 posts since 3/28/2008

That is a thing of great beauty, Lyndon.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.234375