Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

742
Banjo Lovers Online


Dec 3, 2020 - 4:52:53 PM
108 posts since 1/7/2019

Looking for a competent Luthier to do a rim swap in the north east. I have already checked all of the usual suspects that I know of Jimmy Cox (in a nursing home), Dave at D-string (doesn't have the proper tools), Glenn at Mockingbird (didn't seem too interested), Jack O'Brien (tried to contact but no response), Cooperman in VT (they just make rims not fit them).

Are there any others that anyone could recommend to do this work? My next option is to send it to Eric at Sullivan, who seemed genuinely interested and I am sure would do a great job, to have it swapped but this will add probably $150-$200 to the transaction and the potential risk of damage in shipping. I would like to get it done more locally, if I can, so I can drive it there, drop it off, and pick it back up.

If there are none in the area, I will send it to Eric. I already have the box and everything. Just trying to look locally first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Dec 3, 2020 - 5:18:03 PM

13342 posts since 6/29/2005

I don't know what kind of banjo, but Dick Guggenheim in Norwich CT would be a good choice if he is interested.

Dec 3, 2020 - 5:27:17 PM
likes this

2392 posts since 10/17/2013
Online Now

There is no way for us to know exactly what kind of rim swap you are talking about.

 I wouldn’t hesitate giving Eric a try. If their (Sullivan’s) banjo necks and other components were good enough for Gibson, then it stands to reason that Eric would do a superb swap for you.

Dec 3, 2020 - 5:38:35 PM

108 posts since 1/7/2019

It is a tube and plate banjo. I agree that Eric would do a great job but I am trying to avoid shipping, as stated above.

Ken, do you have contact information for Dick?

Thanks
Jeff

Dec 3, 2020 - 5:42:16 PM

13342 posts since 6/29/2005

quote:
Originally posted by Gixxer340

It is a tube and plate banjo. I agree that Eric would do a great job but I am trying to avoid shipping, as stated above.

Ken, do you have contact information for Dick?

Thanks
Jeff


You can contact him through the hangout—dickinnorwich (I think).  He would know how to do a tube-and-plate.

Edited by - Ken LeVan on 12/03/2020 17:43:08

Dec 3, 2020 - 5:54:11 PM
Players Union Member

RioStat

USA

5381 posts since 10/12/2009

Dick Guggenheim made and fitted a rim for me for a 1929 Gibson tube and plate flange and archtop tone ring I had.

Beautiful rim, excellent fit to the old Gibson parts.

Here's his homepage link.

https://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/home.asp?id=21606

Dec 3, 2020 - 10:35:48 PM

kubie

Canada

5 posts since 5/3/2008

Just swaped rim in a 2018 Gold Star. Installed a Sullivan roasted red maple block rim. It improved the tone and volume.The banjo sounded good with the original rim,but with the block rim it improved so much better. Clarence.

Dec 4, 2020 - 4:42:48 AM

beegee

USA

22089 posts since 7/6/2005

What is the reason for swapping, and what kind of banjo?

Dec 4, 2020 - 5:44:57 AM

108 posts since 1/7/2019

quote:
Originally posted by kubie

Just swaped rim in a 2018 Gold Star. Installed a Sullivan roasted red maple block rim. It improved the tone and volume.The banjo sounded good with the original rim,but with the block rim it improved so much better. Clarence.


Did you send the banjo to Sullivan? Or just buy the rim and do it yourself? 

Dec 4, 2020 - 5:46:22 AM

108 posts since 1/7/2019

quote:
Originally posted by beegee

What is the reason for swapping, and what kind of banjo?


It is an Iida. The reason for the swap is the rim is ill fitting. I really like the Banjo and think it would be all I ever need if it had a properly fitting rim. 

Dec 4, 2020 - 7:20:33 AM

73811 posts since 5/9/2007
Online Now

In 1978 replaced the multi-ply rim in my Gold Star G-11 with a Stew Mac 3 ply rim cut for tube and plate flange.
I also bought a no-hole flathead ring from them and put it all together in a couple of hours.It became my main banjo for the next 8 years.Beautiful tone.Should never have sold it.

Edited by - steve davis on 12/04/2020 07:22:34

Dec 4, 2020 - 8:15:07 AM

kubie

Canada

5 posts since 5/3/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Gixxer340
quote:
Originally posted by kubie

Just swaped rim in a 2018 Gold Star. Installed a Sullivan roasted red maple block rim. It improved the tone and volume.The banjo sounded good with the original rim,but with the block rim it improved so much better. Clarence.


Did you send the banjo to Sullivan? Or just buy the rim and do it yourself? 


Dec 4, 2020 - 8:18:29 AM

kubie

Canada

5 posts since 5/3/2008

I sent in the rim flange and tonering. Eric fitted these parts to the new rim.

Dec 4, 2020 - 9:18:14 AM

108 posts since 1/7/2019

quote:
Originally posted by kubie

I sent in the rim flange and tonering. Eric fitted these parts to the new rim.


Thanks. That may be what I end up doing and just hope the neck profile matches up. Still not sure how I am going to proceed. I did PM Dick so I will see if he gets back to me first as he is relatively close and I could drive the banjo to him. 

We'll see I guess.  

Jeff

Dec 4, 2020 - 9:39:25 AM

beegee

USA

22089 posts since 7/6/2005

You may as well send the detached neck and let him fit it. He can easily re-cut the heel to match the new rim/flange

Dec 4, 2020 - 9:43:44 AM

108 posts since 1/7/2019

quote:
Originally posted by beegee

You may as well send the detached neck and let him fit it. He can easily re-cut the heel to match the new rim/flange


It feels like the safest way to send it is in the hard case. If I do that, I might as well just send the whole banjo all together. Might be the best option. Still trying to figure out what is best. Looks like shipping cost might be $80 each way through UPS. 

 

Jeff

Dec 4, 2020 - 11:01:48 AM

beegee

USA

22089 posts since 7/6/2005

If you detach the neck you can send it in a smaller box, without case. It will be cheaper(lighter and smaller package) that way. And since it will have to be disassembled anyway.....You won't have to send the resonator.

Dec 5, 2020 - 3:32:04 AM

O.D.

USA

3546 posts since 10/29/2003

The best option for you would be Dick in Norwich

Super good guy,does great work and close by

I hope he is well and still working on banjos

Keep us posted

Everett

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.15625