Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

748
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Nov 29, 2020 - 3:54:48 PM

mander

USA

4487 posts since 10/7/2007

I am miffed.
First the man I married raged about having seeds in the refrigerator, and now my son has expressed a similar attitude. All those who garden understand, you need to store your seeds somewhere cool where the rodents won't get them. I don't get what is so sinful about having two packets of lettuce seeds in the refrigerator.

I would complain about their beer taking up my seed space, but honestly, what they have in their space doesn't concern me.

What peeves have you got over the refrigerator?

Nov 29, 2020 - 3:58:57 PM
like this

318 posts since 7/22/2016

I don't like it when there are corpses, animal breast milk, and poultry ovulations in the fridge.

Nov 29, 2020 - 4:05:11 PM

Owen

Canada

7491 posts since 6/5/2011

Not a peeve; just an observation.  In pretty well every house/appartment we lived in during our decade+ on the remote reserves I had to reverse the door swing on the fridges.  I guess [i.e. I'm not sure, because "funny" things happen in those places.] that previous tennants knew that they were reversible, but figured that since the "average" stay is 1 year it wasn't worth the effort??? 

As for our fridges here.... no peeves at all..... 'cept when they go wonky before I think they should.

Nov 29, 2020 - 4:28:38 PM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

54857 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

The damn light is always ON!....

Nov 29, 2020 - 4:33:13 PM

2628 posts since 10/13/2011

I have an ice cube dispenser whose flap tends to jam open with a small piece of ice. This causes warm air in the house to enter the ice receptacle, so melting water starts to dribble onto the floor. You have to listen carefully to make sure the flap closes all the way! (Have I mentioned that my husband is deaf in one ear?)

Nov 29, 2020 - 4:40:32 PM

56505 posts since 12/14/2005

I am the only person dwelling in this humble abode, so everything in the fridge is in there because I put it in there, and forgot or neglected to take it out months later.

Nov 29, 2020 - 5:12:06 PM
Players Union Member

Brian T

Canada

17592 posts since 6/5/2008

Many types of seeds require stratification.
In damp sand in MY fridge for 30-90 days.

Yes. When there's white fur on the marmalade, out it goes.

I make plum sauce from scratch.
It needs a couple liters of 18 month old Major Grey's Mango Chutney (in the fridge)
It needs a couple of liters of real plum jam. (In the fridge).
Mixed with vinegar, that has to sit in the fridge for a year for esterification.

I make lime marmalade and I make beet pickles. Stored in my fridge.

Nov 29, 2020 - 5:46:30 PM
likes this

Banjo Lefty

Canada

2098 posts since 6/19/2014

Right now I have a bag of hyacinth bulbs chillin' in the back of the fridge. In a couple of weeks I'll take them out to put into the special glass jars for forcing. In the meantime, DO NOT touch them, on pain of death!

Nov 29, 2020 - 6:47:09 PM
like this

9799 posts since 8/22/2006

My ice maker mocketh me. Seems that when the electricity goes out our ice maker goes into some kind of mode and quits making ice for about 24 hours. Ok that’s fine. But it took me several years to figure that out. Then the thing goes from despensing solid ice to ground ice without any input on the control panel. Sometimes I have to remove the storage bin and remove the ground up ice from the chute to make the solid ice despense. Pain in the ice.

Nov 29, 2020 - 10:00:43 PM
likes this

2652 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by 5B-Ranch

My ice maker mocketh me. Seems that when the electricity goes out our ice maker goes into some kind of mode and quits making ice for about 24 hours. Ok that’s fine. But it took me several years to figure that out. Then the thing goes from despensing solid ice to ground ice without any input on the control panel. Sometimes I have to remove the storage bin and remove the ground up ice from the chute to make the solid ice despense. Pain in the ice.


5B, I've just 'been there done that'. Afterb5byears o of using a small,regular under counter fridge whilst our larder style fridge sat unplugged in a shed, we eventually converted our new kitchen and moved the larder fridge inside, turned it on and prayed that it would still work.  I didn't realise about the 24 hour lag on ice production and was convinced it didn't work, that was until I was sat  the next day and heard the wonderful,sound of the cubes drop into the container below.  My wife, an avid gin and tonic fan, was even more elated.

Nov 29, 2020 - 10:05:32 PM

2652 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by mander

I am miffed.
First the man I married raged about having seeds in the refrigerator, and now my son has expressed a similar attitude. All those who garden understand, you need to store your seeds somewhere cool where the rodents won't get them. I don't get what is so sinful about having two packets of lettuce seeds in the refrigerator.

I would complain about their beer taking up my seed space, but honestly, what they have in their space doesn't concern me.

What peeves have you got over the refrigerator?


I'm the 'problem' in our household.  Hunting, fishing, meat curing and (very) amateur butchery have all resulted in copious eye rolling from the boss over the years.  I now have a 'man fridge' and a 'man freezer' which has resolved this problem.  Both are in an outbuilding and are my frosty domain to insert whatever I want into them irrespective of if it's is plucked, skinned, peeled or not.

Nov 30, 2020 - 2:13:38 AM

Paul R

Canada

13671 posts since 1/28/2010

I don't like the lack of availability of side-by-side refrigerators that don't come with ice makers and/or water dispensers. We'd like a side by side without the frills, couldn't find one. Our bottom freezer is a pita.

Brendan, you forgot tofu.

Nov 30, 2020 - 2:41:47 AM
likes this

phb

Germany

2362 posts since 11/8/2010

When my wife buys some yogurts or puddings, she expects at least one of them to still be there a week after when she eventually wants one. Yes, she's an only child.

Nov 30, 2020 - 4:38:47 AM

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

25364 posts since 8/3/2003

Dave and I took care of that problem years ago: we bought 2 refrigerators. One for his beer (and anything I decided to put in there) and the other for the household food. Of course, you have to have room for 2 and we did: one in the kitchen, one on the enclosed patio. Dave loved his "beer box" and I also kept my wine in it and my flour and occasionally other things.

I still use both but there's no beer in the beer box, it's for flour, cornmeal, pasta, sodas, juice, stuff like that.

Sometimes stuff gets pushed to the back of my fridge and I find a storage container full of little green fuzzies. I try to keep that from happening, but sometimes it does anyway.

Nov 30, 2020 - 4:45:21 AM
likes this

399 posts since 9/6/2019
Online Now

My wife gets REALLY aggravated when I put worms that me and my son have left over from a day of fishing in ours. I, on the other hand, get REALLY aggravated when my wife takes my beer out of the fridge to make room for, well, anything.

Nov 30, 2020 - 5:29:08 AM

6187 posts since 9/5/2006

quote:
Originally posted by Bum Ditty Brendan

I don't like it when there are corpses, animal breast milk, and poultry ovulations in the fridge.


i am really surprised you feel that way ,,,,,,   along with everyone else ,,,,,, 

Nov 30, 2020 - 6:03:34 AM

3157 posts since 4/29/2012

My wife was a bit sniffy about a bag of rats in the freezer. Part of a taxidermy project that me, my son and my nephew embarked upon a couple of years ago.

Nov 30, 2020 - 6:06:30 AM

2652 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewD

My wife was a bit sniffy about a bag of rats in the freezer. Part of a taxidermy project that me, my son and my nephew embarked upon a couple of years ago.


Brilliant!! That reminds me of an ex girlfriend's mum who went ballistic when she found a roadkill badger in her freezer - son thought he'd get a few quid from a taxidermist 

Nov 30, 2020 - 6:54:44 AM

Owen

Canada

7491 posts since 6/5/2011

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewD

My wife was a bit sniffy about a bag of rats in the freezer. Part of a taxidermy project that me, my son and my nephew embarked upon a couple of years ago.


One of a sign on a motel door on one of our ramblings... N/S Dakota???    The other of the staffroom fridge on one of the fly-in reserves.




Nov 30, 2020 - 7:10:03 AM

399 posts since 9/6/2019
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by Owen
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewD

My wife was a bit sniffy about a bag of rats in the freezer. Part of a taxidermy project that me, my son and my nephew embarked upon a couple of years ago.


One of a sign on a motel door on one of our ramblings... N/S Dakota???    The other of the staffroom fridge on one of the fly-in reserves.


I saw the exact same sign in a hotel in Kansas one time. It was pheasant season and the area was full of people coming in to hunt.

Nov 30, 2020 - 9:12:46 AM

2652 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Banjonewguy

I, on the other hand, get REALLY aggravated when my wife takes my beer out of the fridge to make room for, well, anything.


Amen to that brother!

Nov 30, 2020 - 11:04:10 AM
likes this

207 posts since 8/11/2015

My wife keeps putting vegetables in the beer crisper.

Nov 30, 2020 - 11:09:07 AM

Owen

Canada

7491 posts since 6/5/2011

 ..... Is that ^^^ what the ads are getting at when they want us to buy a particular brand of beer with "...a crisp, clean taste... etc."?   cheeky

Edit: Or are those Englishmen spreading the Queen's English in your direction too? .... nappie/diaper... boot/trunk.... hood/bonnet...  spanner/wrench.... etc./etc.    crisper/ ?????

Edited by - Owen on 11/30/2020 11:13:33

Nov 30, 2020 - 11:21:19 AM

2652 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

 ..... Is that ^^^ what the ads are getting at when they want us to buy a particular brand of beer with "...a crisp, clean taste... etc."?   cheeky

Edit: Or are those Englishmen spreading the Queen's English in your direction too? .... nappie/diaper... boot/trunk.... hood/bonnet...  spanner/wrench.... etc./etc.    crisper/ ?????


Owen, generally Norwegians speak speak better English than most Englishmen, myself included.  

Nov 30, 2020 - 12:29:11 PM

Owen

Canada

7491 posts since 6/5/2011

...so is "crisper" just another name for the cooler or fridge?  ...or like is commonplace for fridges around here... a dedicated (?) "vegetable crisper" drawer down near the bottom?   I just checked; both our fridges have "Humidity Controlled Crispers."   Woohoo!!

Nov 30, 2020 - 12:49:58 PM

60 posts since 2/11/2019

Wife likes to put her Mountain Dew stash on my beer shelf in the garage fridge. I never say anything I just move them to a different shelf. More OCD than a peeve I suppose. In my house the seeds and bulbs are mine, along with various things I pickle and can and the garage fridge is great for that.

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.2304688